Enhanced Presenter View in PowerPoint 2013

Editor’s note: The following post was written by PowerPoint MVP Geetesh Bajaj

Most presenters just cram their slides with text – you may have seen such slides often, characterized by so much text that they look like a Word document repurposed as a slide – or even worse, it may appear as someone just copied tons of data from an Excel sheet and put in on a single slide! Of course, each of the slides would receive awards for competing in a “Fill-up-your-slide” contest.

OK, there’s no such contest – yet there are entrants for such contests everywhere. So the question that needs to be asked is why do presenters assume that their slides need so much text? There are several answers – and most of these get repeated each time I ask this question in my training sessions:

1. Presenters are scared – yes, this is another form of stage fear. All that text on the slides keeps them reassured that there’s something they can hold on to in case they stumble. You must have seen many such presenters – typically these are the ones who look at their slides and read aloud to their audiences.

2. Presenters expect questions – this happens mainly in internal presentations where a presenter may expect some questions from their boss or other superiors. To combat these questions, they keep all sorts of supporting content available on their slides.

3. Presenters are not prepared – most presenters seldom practice. Or some presenters never create their own slides – someone else made it for them, and although they did want to study these slides before the actual presentation, they either had no time to do so or they just procrastinated until there was no time left!

Now before we proceed, this article is about a cool PowerPoint feature that can help all presenters who are in a soup because of the reasons we just discussed. However, presenters who are confident, well versed in their subjects, and prepared can also use this cool feature – that will make them awesome presenters!

This cool feature is called Presenter View, and it allows two different views to be shown in your laptop and the projected display – let us just call these Displays 1 and 2. Remember that we will use the terms Display 1 and Display 2 for the rest of this tutorial.

Typically Display 2 is either projected or connected to a large TV – and your audience sees this view. All they can see is full screen slides typical of PowerPoint’s Slide Show view – as shown in the sample slide you see towards the right half in Figure 1.

image

Figure 1: Dual display is not duplicated

Display 1 on the other hand shows PowerPoint’s Presenter View, as shown towards the left half in Figure 1. In PowerPoint 2013, the options available in this view have been completely revamped:

In previous versions of PowerPoint, you had to turn on this view manually – but PowerPoint 2013 auto detects if you have two displays available, and then turns on Presenter view.
Having said so, it’s still a great idea to ascertain whether Presenter View shows up on your laptop (Display 1) or projector (Display 2). In case it shows up on the wrong display, you can swap both displays – follow these steps:

1. In Presenter view, select the Display Settings option in the toolbar at the top (see Figure 2).

2. This brings up a small menu – choose the Swap Presenter View and Slide Show option (see Figure 2, again).

image

Figure 2: Swap your displays

If you are connected to only a single display and still want to emulate Presenter View, you can now do that from within Slide Show view. Place your cursor over the navigation icons on the bottom left area of the projected slide, as shown in Figure 3, below. Click the last icon to bring up a contextual menu — choose the Show Presenter View option in this menu (see Figure 3 again).

image

Figure 3: Notice the contextual menu with the Show Presenter View option

Now that you have explored how you can bring up Presenter View, let us explore all the options available within this view, including the new options that allow you to zoom onto a specific part of your slide – or even pan across the slide area. Additionally, you now also have dedicated Pause, Resume and Restart buttons that provide you with a better control over your presentation timings.

Look at Figure 4, below – this shows a typical Presenter View screen.

image

Figure 4: Presenter View

Each of the individual elements in Presenter View is marked with a number in Figure 4, above — and explained below.

1. Toolbar: Here you find three options:

a. Show Taskbar: This lets you see your Window taskbar. One click will make your taskbar available, and another will hide it again – so, this is a toggle option. This can be a useful option if you need to access any of your open applications. For example, you may have an Excel sheet open that you want to show to your audience – clicking this option will let you easily access the Excel sheet via the Windows taskbar.

b. Display Settings: Clicking this option brings up the menu shown earlier (see Figure 2). The topmost Swap Presenter and Slide Show option swaps your displays. You can also choose the Duplicate Slide Show option – this duplicates what you see on both displays – in effect, you no longer see Presenter View even though you are using two displays, as shown in Figure 5, below. You end up with Slide Show views on both your displays (compare with Figure 1).

image

Figure 5: Two instances of Slide Show view, and no Presenter view
Note: If you are only using a single display, these options will not be available.

c. End Slide Show: Exits your presentation.

2. Timer: This area shows the time elapsed since your Slide Show started. PowerPoint 2013 introduces two extra buttons for Pause/ Resume and Restart.

3. Slide Preview: This shows a smaller preview of the slide that’s shown in Slide Show view on Display 2.

4. Next Slide: Provides a preview of your next slide so that you know what’s coming up next.

5. Note: Displays notes (if there are any) for the current slide.

6. Extra Controls: These five controls are placed below the Slide Preview (see Figure 6).

image

Figure 6: Controls, explained from left to right

a. Pen and Laser Pointer tools: Click on this button to bring up a menu that lets you choose a pen or highlighter to annotate your slides – or even a mock laser pointer.

b. See All Slides: Shows your entire slide deck (see Figure 7) – only you see this view, and your audience continues seeing Slide Show view with one slide. You can choose any slide you want to show on Display 2 to your audience. This option quickly lets you get from your active slide to any other slide in your presentation.
image

Figure 7: All your slides

c. Zoom into the slide: Zoom on a part of your slide and then pan around.

d. Black or Un-black Slide Show: A toggle that lets you turn your Display 2 completely black so that the audience no longer sees any slides. Click again to un-black the screen.

e. More Slide Show Options: Bring up a drop-down list with several options that will help you manipulate your presentation’s delivery better.

7. Navigation: The Previous and Next buttons let you navigate back and forth your slides. The thin bar in between shows the progress of your slides on a live thermometer style strip, along with the slide number of the active slide.

8. Make Notes Larger or Smaller: These two buttons make the text in your Notes area larger or smaller.

Presenter View is one of those options in PowerPoint that you really won’t miss unless you play with it – thereafter, you will want to use it all the time because the level of control that this amazing option provides can help any presenter be more capable and confident.

However, this is one of those PowerPoint features that needs a fair amount of practice – so first play with this view alone or when you have a few friends or colleagues in the audience. Once you are more comfortable with Presenter View, you can then use it to present like a pro in front of a larger audience or even a smaller audience that may comprise your superiors, investors, or even complete strangers!

About the author

clip_image002

Geetesh Bajaj is an awarded Microsoft PowerPoint MVP (Most Valuable Professional) for over a decade now. He has been designing and training with PowerPoint for 15 years and heads Indezine, a presentation design studio and content development organization based out of Hyderabad, India.

Geetesh believes that any PowerPoint presentation is a sum of its elements–these elements include abstract elements like concept, color, interactivity, and navigation–and also slide elements like shapes, graphics, charts, text, sound, video, and animation. He explains how these elements work together in his best-selling book Cutting Edge PowerPoint for Dummies–the book has several five-star ratings on Amazon.com. He has also authored three subsequent books on PowerPoint 2007 for Windows, and two on Microsoft Office for Mac.

About MVP Monday

The MVP Monday Series is created by Melissa Travers. In this series we work to provide readers with a guest post from an MVP every Monday. Melissa is a Community Program Manager, formerly known as MVP Lead, for Messaging and Collaboration (Exchange, Lync, Office 365 and SharePoint) and Microsoft Dynamics in the US. She began her career at Microsoft as an Exchange Support Engineer and has been working with the technical community in some capacity for almost a decade. In her spare time she enjoys going to the gym, shopping for handbags, watching period and fantasy dramas, and spending time with her children and miniature Dachshund. Melissa lives in North Carolina and works out of the Microsoft Charlotte office.

1. Arpit Daniel Das says:

This is really a great piece of information. Awesome article! I had no clue that MS PowerPoint 2013 is so good. I have been using 2010 but I would love to try this feature. Thank you for sharing this useful information with us

Arpit

authorSTREAM Team

2. Gary Bauer says:

Neat features – love being able to see all my slides before showing them to the audience

3. Karen says:

The slide sorter feature is okay, but I really preferred the slider that was available in presenter view for the past few versions. It would be nice to allow both versions in a later release.  Also, if I skip to a future slide using the sorter view, transition animations don't always work.

4. Karen says:

One more issue: the Windows task bar will toggle on, but then it doesn't turn back off and it shows up on the extended display, which interrupts the slide show.  In older versions of Power Point, it was nice to be able to edit slide because you could see the task bar already.  This is the main reasons I have stayed with Power Point for presentations over other platforms, but without these features, I'm not sure if I will keep using it.

5. dave says:

I'm with you Karen . . . not having the ability to scroll hither and thither to select slides as in previous versions is, for me, at least, a good reason not to use this – the fact you have to go always to the top-right is a pain – esp. if you are showing it from say a 24/27" screen

Also, the black background jars overmuch – Grey <RGB=200> would cut pretty much the same shine but be much less of a contrast pain.

Its back to PPt 2010 for me.

A pity, 'cos little of the rest offends.

6. Terry says:

This is a step back from 2007 version. We bounce back and forth from slides throughout the presentation an seeing all the slide all the time in presenter view was much nicer. The new version is much slower and awkward to navigate.

7. Dayane says:

Adorei o novo PowerPoint 2013, só acho que ainda falta um recurso de extrema necessidade, Animação para Tabelas, onde possamos, animar linha a linha e coluna a coluna… talvez na próxima versão…

8. Lee says:

If you go to slide sorter on 2013 while presenting your notes are covered too, very hard to do a seamless presentation skipping back and forth when needed. I agree a big step back from 2007. Inserting an  mpeg quickly just doesn't work, you almost need to convert them to wmv ahead of time. Really hope the slider like in 2007 presenter view comes back at least as an option soon.

9. Susan says:

In presenter view, I like the larger picture of the next slide, however I wish that next slide showed the entire slide content, not the animated version, which might only be one bullet point.

10. Arko says:

For me this version of Presenter view is a disaster, all transitions are lost when selecting a differnet slide from All slides.

Back to 2010 it is.

11. Doug Cote says:

There appears to be an issue in Office 2013 SP1 related to dual-monitors and duplicating the slideshow view. After the slide show ends and PowerPoint is closed, we discovered that the duplication of the screen was translated to Windows such that the desktop is then duplicated. This is not how the desktop was configured prior to the slideshow and presents an issue for users who do not want to have to reconfigure Windows just because they ran a PowerPoint presentation. Please advise.

Thanks,

Doug

12. Bill Sumner says:

I agree with many here.  This 'upgrade' is disastrous – written by someone that clearly doesn't present.  Cannot look forward or quickly jump to following slides along the bottom row as we used to.

What use is a big picture (of the first line) of next slide on RH side, allowing a tiny box for the text below?

The white text on black background is impossible to read quickly on the fly in a darkened room – and I have not found anyway of changing it to black on white.

1. Vicki says:

Bummer. I was hoping you’d have some revelation for me. I’m having the same issues, as my eyes are drawn to the box, not to the text. No workaround? Will we just have to install 2010?

13. Margaret says:

Thank you for your very clear explanation. However my presenter view does not display the slide in the slide preview view. Any suggestions to remedy this?

14. John Petzinger says:

I'm not impressed with the enhancements. Why can't I adjust the size/position of the 8 elements shown in Figure 4? In particular, I need a much larger "notes" (item 5) area, and I need it to be able to contain graphics. The printable notes view has been configurable for over a decade, but the Preseneter's View is stuck in the 20th century!

15. Derek Thorslund says:

I've tried to adopt this new Presenter View but I just can't. I seldom show all of my slides; I skip slides according to the audience's needs. The old timeline strip in 2010 allowed me to easily jump across slides to the next one that I'd like to present. It was a beautiful thing; the audience thought I always had the right next slide for the discussion. Now this is much too awkward as I have to use the See All Slides view which takes an extra step and is harder to use. I just have to stick with PowerPoint 2010.

16. Gil says:

I want to work off the "all slides" screen so I can go to any slide at any time.  However, as soon as I click a slide it goes back to the single view.  Is there a way to keep the "all slide view" up so I don't have to click on it every time?

17. Disappointed user says:

big step backward with the "enhanced" presenter view

The horizontal scroll of ALL slides is a must for an truly adaptable script

18. tony christo says:

In presenter view when I go to a hyperlink in my presentation the hyperlink shows on my monitor but not the display that my audience sees . Otherwise presenter view works as it is supposed to. Any suggestions?

19. Laura Tywater says:

I need to know if ppt 2013 can be set as DEFAULT to open presentations in "duplicate view" automatically?  I'm a tech coach in an elementary school and when teachers switch from ppt back to their desktop, videos, etc. is disconnects the "cloning" setting to the projector.  Then they PANIC.  Thoughts?

1. Vicki says:

I am not a techie, but I do recall seeing an option to set a default upon opening (while I was scrambling to try to figure out how to change my PV display background from black to white). I think it was under PowerPoint > Options > Advanced > Display….Automatically extend display (or uncheck the block). I can’t find your question now, so I hope that helps. :)

20. John Macpherson, Scotland says:

Will Power point 2013 work on a Lenevo B50 lap top. My P. P.2010 is giving me problems.

21. Eric Rickert says:

I have been using PPT 2010 with Presenter view that has all the slides on the bottom in a time line manner.  Why in the world can we not be able to use this feature still?  My hope is that I can but have not discovered how to do that.  All of these awesome new features in this article and others are of little value of the presenter view is not intuitive and flexible.  Dear MS developers–this was an error to not allow us to still use this legacy presenter-or at least not make it easy to find out how to use it.  Darn.  Now I will have to buy PPT 2010 separately and install it just so I can use this feature.  Yep, this is a complaint comment.  Sorry to all.

22. Randy says:

Not allowing me to swap (Figure 2) Presenter and Slide Show and when I do (Figure 3) I get presenter views on Laptop and projector screen Image

23. ain says:

hi.. i seems to have a problem to play video in presenter view in my microsoft 2013.. any help? reply at only–comelaidah@live.com.sg

24. Nadeem says:

thank for this post. I am coming across another issue these days.

I run all my power point from a show computer at the tech table. I place one 22" monitor next to the podium and one 55" confidence monitor on the floor for the presenter to see.

we do not allow laptops at the podium. now my client is asking if there is a way to show presenter view on the 22" monitor and full screen view on the 55" monitor and the LCD projector? Has you come across this and is there a way to do that?

please email me your response to narifav@gmail.com

thanks,

nadeem

25. Vicki says:

I am trying to figure out how to change the display background color in presenter view. On my old laptop, the PV screen on my end is white with black print, and my eye is drawn to it as I walk around the lectern so I don’t look too distracted. On the new laptop with 2013, the PV screen display is black or dark gray, with white or light gray lettering and a bright Current Slide square, so my eye automatically goes to the slide and not to the Notes section (I’ve already “disappeared” the Next Slide option to give myself more Notes space, since I’m pretty near-sighted). Any hints on changing display options? I’ve hunted for hours.

26. Thiago says:

I like the Presenter View, but the clock is way too small. I wish there was a way of making it larger so I could actually see it from the stage where I’m presenting from. It’s useless at it’s current size.