Math in Office Links

I started this blog in 2006 and now it’s 2012. How time flies! At this point it seems worthwhile to post links to previous posts grouped according to subject. The present post provides links relevant to the main theme of the blog, math editing and display in Microsoft Office. Eventually it would be nice to have a book on this subject. A future post will provide links to a secondary theme, RichEdit-specific documentation.

A number of readers have provided auxiliary information, “cheat sheets”, short cuts, etc. I’d like to collect a list of these, so if you have links to such information please send them to me and I’ll post them. Also please feel free to add such links as comments to this post.

Editing Math Using Keyboard

Hidden Math Features in Word 2007

Smart Canvasses

Math Find/Replace and Rich Text Searches

Converting Equations from MathType to Word 2007’s Equation Format

How I got into technical WP

1. Mikael Samsøe Sørensen says:

I have been following this blog for years and learned som nifty tricks.

Since 2009 I have been working on an addon to Word which I could not have been made without the new equation editor.

The addon is called WordMat and is similar to Microsoft Mathematics, but in many ways more powerful and feature rich.

You can plot graphs, solve equations, systems of equations, differential equations etc.

It is freely available here: http://www.eduap.com

2. Hermann Klinke says:

Great post! I am planning to read all these links to improve my understanding of Math in Office so that I can improve my notation.

3. How to let italic by default when inserting math equation in office 2010? says:

I am trying to find answer of this question in topic, and I found this blog, great.

I remember when I first installed office2010, it by default is italic when Alt+= is pressed, but now it is upright by default, I have to Ctrl+I every time.

Where can I set that?

4. Ivan says:

Murray and colleagues! Could you explain why MS Word 2007 builds formula ├ █(c@d@e@f)┤|_b^a correctly, but my program that uses the same dll produces too short vertical line? How to bypass this? Or maybe some workaround exists?

5. MurrayS3 says:

I'd like to find out how to turn off the default italicization in a math zone as well as how to turn it back on. Chemists would probably like to have it off at least in typing chemical formulas with subscripts and superscripts. Perhaps you can turn it back on by going to the math options menu (Tools…) and clicking on Defaults…

I find that both Word 2010 and RichEdit display █(c@d@e@f)┤|_b^a as a column vector followed by a large vertical bar of the same height. Perhaps you need to build up the expression. Do the subscript b and superscript a show up as scripts?

6. Ivan says:

Sub/superscripts b and a are displayed as scripts and I build up the formula as a whole, by parts etc. Expression ├█(c@d@e@f)┤| builds up correctly with large vertcal line. The only solution I have found for the case with sub/superscrpts is an expression 〖□(├█(c@d@e@f)┤|)〗_b^a with begin, end and box.

Do stretching/aligning options in context menus of Word 2007 are controlled by such expressions with some flags mentioned in the document "Unicode Nearly Plain-Text Encoding of Mathematics"? And "Match Brackets to Argument Height" option in particular?

7. MurrayS3 says:

If the option tomDontGrowWithContent (64) is present, delimiters don't grow. How are you declaring the ├ ┤| bracket function? Ordinarily brackets grow unless you specify otherwise.

8. Ivan says:

I don't set any options for the brackets but the vertical bar doesn't grow with the scripts added. Unfortunately, I even don't know programming methods of setting options for brackets stretching. I have no documentation/access to TOM2. Maybe the same option fGrowWithContent(128) mentioned in the document "Unicode Nearly Plain-Text Encoding of Mathematics Version 3" may solve the problem, but it seems to work only with n-ary operators and I don't know how to construct plain-text expression with this option in my case.

Skip to main content