"This Trojan is particularly insidious, because what people might consider to be safe Websites can infect their computers. Victims aren't necessarily visiting bad Internet.
"Compromised sites must do more than clean up their code, as the iframe tool can automatically make changes later on. The site administrator's credentials must be changed to prevent further compromise.
"While waiting for Microsoft's response, Website designers might want to consider doing away with inline frames."
eWeek reports that "Researchers at Trend Micro are reporting that as many as 10,000 Web sites have been infected with malicious code that redirects unsuspecting users to a server booby-trapped with drive-by exploits—part of a wave of attacks originating in Italy and now spreading through Europe."
What can you do?
Microsoft continues to encourage customers to follow all of the steps of the 'Protect Your PC' guidance of enabling a firewall, applying all software updates and installing anti-virus and anti-spyware software.
North American customers suspecting infection can obtain free, Microsoft security support by call 1-866-PCSAFETY.
And see my past note on how there's no immunity from security vulnerabilities.
- Visit http://www.staysafeonline.info.
- To find out more about spyware – what it is, ways your computer can become infected, and what you can do to prevent it – watch this video on protecting your computer.
- If you're wondering how Windows Defender compares with other Microsoft antispyware and antivirus technologies, check out this product comparison chart.
- Windows Live Safety Center – A Web service designed to help ensure the health of your computer with free scanning tools that help you get rid of unwanted software.
- Malicious Software Removal Tool – A security tool that checks your computer for specific viruses and other malicious software and helps remove any infection found. This tool alone has run more than 2 billion executions.
- Sign up for our security newsletter and receive monthly advice
- Get more online safety tips