Sean blogs yesterday about Top 10 Tips for Buying a New Car (and in under 3 hours door to door). Considering that buying a car is one of the most expensive purchases people make next to homes, this is a great primer for those of you about to take advantage of all the "year end clearance sales" at local dealers.
- Do Your Research- getting the details on manufacturer incentives and holdback are essential.
- Get competitive quotes and deal with the right person.
- Know when to buy.
- Be willing to travel to get a better deal.
- Eat before you go.
- Bring a friend... and your kids!
- Game Time: Set two appointments at different dealerships - and a time limit.
- Don't sign anything or give up your edge until you have a firm base-price offer.
- Remember: Always be ready to walk out.
- Have financing options and be wary of the Finance "Closer".
I'll add one more: ask friends and family for references. You may find a good dealer and sales person via a personal connection, and I found when we purhased our last car that we were able to close the whole deal in less than an hour... with a trade in.
Also, you can use many of these tips for many big purchases, like consumer electronics.