SQL Server – MSDE 2000 Deployment Toolkit

SQL Server seems to be my favourite topic at the moment :-)!

I have written an article for MSDN online, it has gone online this very moment and I am so happy about that. The article is about a generic solution for deploying MSDE with your own solutions using the new MSDE Deployment Toolkit (RC)!

Search MSDN for “MSDE Deployment” and the article is (at the moment :-)) great) the first one in the result list.

Link to the article: MSDE Deployment Toolkit (RC) in Action

1. Alexander Vousvounis says:

I have read your article. Is there any companion code for download?

2. mszCool says:

I’ll post the sample code within the next days in a separate block entry.

Thanks for patience!!

3. Dev says:

Mario I read your article. It is great!

But you refer to a sample project there all the time but where is it.. I installed the toolkit and everything else as instructed by MS but there is no sample on my machine. Were you referring to your project. Can you upload it on the web somewhere.

Thanks a lot

dev

dev_kh@hotmail.com

4. mszCool says:

I’ll publish the samples this weekend on my blog – just need to translate some parts of the GUI to english

5. Dev says:

Thanks, I’ll wait for it. I really hope it’s in VB.Net…

Till then, I am going thru your article. It refers to SQLDBInstaller class but there is no such class in the source code of DBInfoVB project..

Am I missing anything.

Thanks again

dev

6. DotNet says:

Hello,

Please post the url of where you have/will upload your sample code for the deployment toolkit.

Thanks

7. dev says:

Hello,

I am using your article on the MSDE deployment Toolkit (RC) to deploy my application. I have my application, the setup project and the installer project in my solution. The installer project has embedded sql files for database creation and dropping only (which I created using the enterprise manager). Now when I run the setup, MSDE installs fine but during my applications setup I get the following error message:

"An exception occured in the OnAfterInstall event handler of PostInstall.CustomInstallActions. –> Value cannot be null."

I looked on web but couldnt really find anything about this error message.

Please suggest something.

Thanks

dev

8. mszCool says:

Hi dev!

Have you ever tested the SQL scripts before – seems that something is wrong there.

9. mszCool says:

I have published the sources to our local community web. See my newest weblog entry…

10. Dev says:

Thanks MZ for the sample. I tried it on my computer and everything worked fine. I can see some differences between yours and mine code.

MZ, my app requires 2 seperate databases to be created. One is the ‘Security’ database which just has Username/role info for our app and the 2nd database is the actual db of my app.

Do you think that the sample can be configured to create, install, backup and uninstall (when removing the app from add/remove) both the databases. Any pointers on this..

Thanks again

Dev

11. user says:

Hello,

My 1st attempt to install .Net framework, MSDE, my application and the databases during setup (using the MSDE deployment toolkit RC) works fine on windows xp. Now when I try to do the same for windows 98 SE machine, I am able to install .Net framweork and MSDE, but after that during the installation I get the following error message:

"An exception occured in the OnAfterInstall event handler of DBInstaller.CustomInstaller –> Unable to access service: Operating system does not support controlling a Windows service. A service can only be controlled on Windows NT, Windows 2000, or later."

It’s clear that when the setup tries to start the service to create the database etc it fails. Is this a known issue. I researched on web but couldn’t find anything. Any ideas.

Thanks

12. masofta says:

I can not install MSDE 2000 Deployment Toolkit. Error message: The screen resolution is not adequate for running MSDE 2000 Deployment Toolkit (RC).

Please help me!

13. dave says:

increase your screen resolution. it must be a minimum of 800×600 px

14. TreeBeard says:

I was in a session at TechEd San Diego that presented the document contained in the above URL (this was the only other website that showed up in google when I did a search for my error).

I am having problems with the Inherits SqlDatabaseInstaller.SqlDbInstaller. The problem is that I do not have a class named SqlDatabaseInstaller. However there is a root level class named SqlDbInstaller. When I choose the root level SqlDbInstaller most of my problems go away EXCEPT for MyBase.LoadManifestResource and Dim fBackup as new BackupForm (I do not have BackupForm listed) I can not find LoadManifestResource and BackupForm under any of the subitems in System, Sql, etc.

Is there a reference I need to include with the project? Do you have any ideas on where to find LoadManifestResource and BackupForm?

Thanks,

15. pars says:

sddsaf

16. Oskar says:

To bad there are so many errors related to installing/uninstalling an application using MSDE Deployment Toolkit (RC).

I will not go into detail, but you are much better of bundling MSDE together with you Application, and instruct the user to install MSDE before the Application. AKA not use the

MSDE Deployment Toolkit (RC) 🙂

Does someone know how to manually remove an installation of MSDE Deployment Toolkit. Cause the "automatic" uninstall in "Add/Remote Programs" is not dependebal, and in many cases likely to FAIL BIG TIME!

Your article by the way is great!

17. Ethan says:

Any chance of a C# version… this article and source files have been such a great asset to those in the vb.net communit why not let the C#’ers in on the fun?

18. PoobieN says:

Thank you for a great article. I have a problem that on running setup.exe(unmanaged Portion) with dotnetfx not installed, an error "Unable to load localized strings" is generated. If I manually run dotnetfx and run MSDEBootStrap.exe, the MSDE and application installation is fine.

PS dotnetfx.exe is in the install directory !!.

Poobie

19. To,

TreeBeard

I read your article on the MSDE deployment Toolkit (RC) in Action. I aslo download the code from gotdotnetcode. in this code when i view the design of one class name customInstaller which is locate in dbinstaller library, it will give me error message as follows " The designer must create an instance of type ‘SqlDatabaseInstaller.SqlDbInstaller’ but it cannot because the type is declared as abstract".

In dbinstaller project has embedded sql files for database creation and dropping only (which I created using the enterprise manager).

how can i solve this problem