When we host a big event, the destination city usually rolls out the proverbial red carpet because of the additional business we bring to the area. This red carpet treatment often extends to the visitors bureau, the convention center, and the nearby hotels. The deal almost always involves committing to a certain number of hotel rooms that we expect to fill. This is called our “room block,” and for MIX10, we sold out our room block awhile ago. As a thank you for our business, the hotel provides us with some nice room upgrades.
In past years, we’ve given the upgrades to members of the team who put in countless hours to ensure that we deliver the best event possible. We never told them in advance, and they were always surprised when they checked-in to their room. It was a fun way to show appreciation for a job well done.
As someone who’s been upgraded (to rooms that have more square footage than my house…and no, I’m not kidding), it’s absolutely exciting to open the door to discover such a palatial spread. The problem is, most of us are so busy running the actual event that we never spend any time in the hotel room. And other than sleeping, I don’t spend much time in the room at all.
What a waste.
So, starting last year, we decided to randomly give the room upgrades to our attendees. Many attendees travel to Las Vegas with their significant others, and what better surprise than to land after a long flight and check-in to a huge and luxurious room. Plus, it’s just plain fun!
For MIX10, we’ve randomly selected 22 attendees who will each receive a complimentary upgrade. That means that their room rate won’t change, and these lucky people will get to enjoy the spoils of an amazing space!
Here are some specifications and photos of the upgraded rooms:
- 1 x Media Suite – this suite is 2,170 square feet (bigger than some houses), includes 1 1/2 baths, a separate parlor, a 65” plasma HDTV (+ a few others), imported stone floors, and more. If you’re the lucky person who gets this upgrade, it’s almost mandatory that you throw a party. 🙂
- 1 x Vista Suite – this suite is 1,705 square feet, has a 180-degree view of the strip and mountains, includes a separate parlor, living room, dining room, and bar area, has 1 1/2 baths, a 50” LCD High Definition TV, imported stone floors, and more. Be sure to right-click on the door and select “Run as Administrator” for UAC-free living during your stay.
- 5 x X2 Suite – still huge at 1,450 square feet, with 2 bedrooms, separate parlor and living areas, a view of the strip/beach/pool/mountains, 2 bathrooms, a 42” High Definition Plasma TV, a separate parlor, and more.
- 5 x Spa Suite - 610 square feet, with views of the beach/pool/mountains, a 42” High Definition Plasma TV, and more.
- 10 x Great Room Suite - 765 square feet, with views of strip/mountains, a “unique playpen couch” (sounds very Vegas to me), and more.
We’ve already selected the lucky attendees, and they’ll be informed via e-mail within the next few days. If you end up in one of these suites, please take some photos and share them on Flickr or Twitter. We’ll all be jealous.
Good luck, and I’ll see you in Vegas!