What About Halo 2?

I’ve had a few people e-mail me this morning to ask why I haven’t posted about today’s release of Halo 2. Well, although I was part of the beta program, and I think Halo 2 is a very good game, I’m personally much more excited about next week’s release of Half-Life 2 for the PC. Don’t get me wrong…I love my Xbox. But, I generally prefer first-person PC games over first-person console games because of the improved graphics, depth of experience (which isn’t always better, but can be), and…

Controls.

What!? Controls!? Yes…call me crazy, but I still maintain that a mouse and keyboard player always has an advantage over a console player when it comes to first-person games. I can “twitch” a mouse and leverage mouse acceleration to change my perspective and aim much more quickly and accurately than I could ever hope to achieve with a pad or stick. For games that aren’t first-person, I don’t think there’s as much of a PC advantage. I do owe it to myself to check out the SmartJoy FRAG adapter…I just haven’t had the time.

That said, Halo 2 is fun on Xbox Live, and the graphics are definitely improved. Plus, the ability to simultaneously wield two weapons is sweetness. I thought about going out last night to one of the midnight events at our local Best Buy, but I ended up deciding against it. Did anyone else make it out at midnight?

Update: Here’s a MSNBC article on the phenomenon.

1. timts says:

simulation game requires keyboard as well, joystick and keyboard, since there are so many buttongs, joypad is not good enough, even sophisticate joystick doesnot have enough buttongs, (some of them have over 12 buttons, still might not be enough)

MMORPG might need a lot of buttons for magics, items, etc… I dont see any way to solve that probelm yet, I can think of right stick for a gesture (down, right, down for fire, etc), or button combination for action/magic etc.. like fighting game, I think ps2 FFX users still need to rely on their keyboard… that sucks.

2. Mike Dunn says:

Keyboard+mouse is The Only Way To Play(tm).

3. Bruce says:

You have to admit that the controls in Fable and now Halo 2 are perhaps the best yet for console gaming. It is amazing to me how many different spells you can cast in Fable with only a few triggers and buttons – and how customizable it is so that your favorite items, expressions and spells are easily available.

I guess if you are a Ghost Recon, Far Cry, Unreal, Doom 3, or (soon) Half Life 2 purist who has all the keys mapped and the laser Logitec USB2 (because of the necessary bandwith) mouse, etc. you will believe that the console is a "lesser" user experience.

As for Halo 2, you have to admit it seriously rocks (based on a limited review time). The weapons are more balanced (haven’t found a pistol yet), the graphics are better, there seems to be way more "story" and dialogue. The Covenant energy sword and the Brute grenade thingy are awesome additions. The realistic vehicle damage and souped up Ghost are great. Dual-wielding (‘nuff said). And all the cool multiplayer/Live stuff that I haven’t been able to try out yet. Plus, you have to remember that for $200, or less, anyone could be up and playing Halo 2, whereas you’d probably have to go 5 to 10 to 20 times that to have an optimal Half Life 2 experience.

On the flip side of user controls and experience, I’d still argue that you can have quite a good gaming experience even with the Game Boy Advance – Advance Wars, Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, etc. are quite good with minimalist controls. What I am saying is that it depends on the game design and implementation.

4. Bill says:

It goes much farther back than Ghost Recon, Far Cry, Unreal or Doom 3. It goes all the way back to Quake. Nothing gives you the precision and control that a mouse and keyboard will give you in a first-person shooter. Nor is it easy to abandon key combinations (asdf or wasd for most people) that you’ve been using for years for an analog stick that makes it feel like you’re a keyboard-only DMer from 1996.

I suppose that I could just invest in the SmartJoy adapter, too.

5. Bruce says:

OK, what about Decent?

Can anyone really say they could do the full 3-axis movements with a keyboard? A good two axis joystick with a "hat" and a bunch of buttons had to be ideal in this situation. I can imagine you can run one way and shoot the other with mouse+keyboard but what about the 3rd dimension?

And if it "goes all the way back to Quake" then it must go back to the original Doom as well, or maybe even the classic original Castle Wolfenstein from 1981. Wolfenstein may have been the first to have the "full keyboard" support

Q W E

A D To Move in the 9 directions

Z X C S = Stop

I O P To point GUN in the 9 directions

K ; L = Shoot gun

M , . T = throw grenade (in dir. gun is pointing)

Well, don’t get me started . . . . Back to Halo 2 . . . .

6. Jeff Parker says:

I agree, I much prefer gaming on the PC, ever play GTA Vice City on Xbox, then go to the PC and play it, worlds different in graphics, game quality and so on.

I am a bigger fan of the MMORPG games and have been for years, I can never envision those without being at the PC. I got into the world of warcraft beta this week, so looking at seeing how it goes. However still waiting on the download. the compressed install file is about 2.5 gigs, and their Beta game download is poor speed, started last night and said I had 1 day 18 hours left for complete download. Woke up this morning though still had like 1 day 3 hours left to go. But we will see how a Warcraft goes, I am hoping not another disapointment like a lot of the new ones that have come out recently. Game like Horizons, ShadowBane and the likes were greatly anticipated but really flopped.

7. Bill says:

Bruce, I was specifically referring to first person shooters. Don’t take it as an attack on joysticks. :)

And Doom was a bit of a different animal because it wasn’t ‘3D’, technically. Quake was the one of the first to take advantage of height/jumping/etc. ROTT was also one of the first in the genre.

This is why I still keep a joystick plugged in for playing games like Battlefield 1942, which have vehicles that use the full 3-axis movement.

8. ancow says:

How would you manage that in real life?

Goldeneye on N64 is a good example of how not all FPS has to be hyper controllable to be good.

9. Tommy B says:

I believe that PC controls far excel any console because of the ability to ‘twitch’ the mouse and look a lot faster. Again graphics are sometimes better, and gameplay can seem more exhilarating.

However, being an owner of an X-Box i can say that Halo 2 and its controls are very good, and allow me to do exactly what i need to do. I can tweak the speed of my turning in the options menu which basically allows me to do what a mouse would do.

I also personally prefer to have all the buttons i need there in front of me in one space, rather than having a keyboard which frankly confuses me.

I agree whole heartedly with the comments of P.C gamers because i have been a hardcore gamer for years and know how frustrating it can be to then go on to play the same game on a console and appear to be crap at the game.

But at the end of the day there will always be a divide between the PC and the consoles. Some are good at one, and some are good at the other, and some people are just too good and are perfect at both. And that definately ain’t me.

10. Kaji says:

RE: "If I’m playing CS, for example, and I’m crouched, zoomed, firing, reloading and both turning AND moving at the same time (which are two entirely seperate things), how am I going to manage that with a pad?"

How would you manage that in real life?

vary simple just croch on your legs zoom fire relode and turn all at the same time it can be done in real life DUH stupid qestion.

11. Zlug says:

My question is: When is Halo 2 coming out on the PC? Only then will I buy it, as is the topic here: Controls are of the essence. I very much dislike holding the joystick over waiting and waiting for my guy to turn around. With your mouse, just a flick of the wrist and there you have it. Now here is my next question: When Halo 2 is released for the PC, would I be able to hook into a LAN game of x-boxes? Only hoping. Then I could teach my friggin brother-in-law that I CAN play. :)

12. BRI says:

FINALLY!!!! People besides me who recognize the ultimate superiority of the PC. lately it seems all the awesome games (HL2 aside) are arriving exclusivly to consoles, WTF!!!??? it just isnt fair. i heard Halo 2 be called a most anticipated game for all gaming, hmmm whats wrong with that? o yea its just for the PC-wanna be X-box. I’m sick of seeing the PC gamer getting screwed, by waiting almost a year for a console game to get ported over to the PC. Sorry for the rant but i’m tired of seeing no PC gaming support out there, so i’m glad to see some people who have seen the light. consoles are ok for some things but why cant games be balanced? and be released on multiple platforms, the company would still make money, and some PC games cost more than console games so hey theres more $$$$.

HALO 2 WILL NEVER GET ON THE PC, SADLY I’M NOT GETTING MY HOPES UP, PROBABLY IN A FEW YEARS WHEN I’M IN COLLEGE IT WILL HAPPEN…

B

13. nick says:

i have a nintendo and soon i’m goin to buy a xbox its goin to be great i all ready have enough money to buy one frist game is goin to me infact halo2. already played it kinda regreat playing it because now i know what happens in all that it might take away the fun when i get it but i’m also looking forward to buying vice city o and episode 3 star wars but i’m goin to have to see the movie frist to bad school is still goin to be going on when that movie in going :( but all in all halo2 is probably one of the best games i have ever played. one thing i don’t like about halo2 is some of the story line is kinda lame no offence but that werid looking flood thing come on bungie and microsoft. well and, o another thing i don’t know if it was the xbox or the game or me but it looks like the graphics kinda glich out sometimes like less detials and stuff example go up to a hunter and turn your light on no lines showing were and when armor started the big metal shaft has no lines and again i think the graphics are the best on xbox i keep on talkin about in it makes me want to buy an xbox well all in all if ur reading this and u r thinking about buying halo2 it is worth the money!

14. nick says:

o ya bri i gota argee with u pc gameing is kinda goin in the wrong direstion with games and ya if halo2 was out for pc i would never get the xbox i would buy the halo2 for pc werid thing is mircosoft is the maker of xbox and is a big helper with halo and halo2 if i were mircosoft i would sell both halo2 for xbox and halo2 for pc at the same time twice the money mircosoft would make tons in like a day or something i like your thinkg about the pc gamin they gota be the same microsoft could and will probably be the biggest gaming supporter ever thats if they make pc gaming close well i’m probably not makin sense

15. BRI says:

16. BRI says:

17. bob says:

I like console games, but at heart im a fps purist and im sorry guys but get 2 ppl playing cs one with gamepad one with mouse and keyboard, and the guy with the game pad will get decimated, this is not to say that console gamers are not as skilled but its just that a pad is so restrictive to the reflexes and because its on a smaller scale fine tuneing is very hard, miss that first shot with an awp and you toast, mind you this is all personal opinion

18. bob says:

BRI, im sorry but i have to say your wrong about pc beind dead or dieing Pcs will allways be more advanced than consoles, mainly because of the fact that consoles are just for games while pcs preform many tasks, could you imagine fx designers for movies like episode III trying to render cinima quality video with an xbox i doubt an xbox could even handel the source engine let alone as well as a pc

19. bob says:

oh one last thing you know why halo 2 is comeing out on xbox first and pc later. because if ppl had the pc version first they would never buy the xbox version they just want evry one to buy 2 copys of the game they are a buisness after all. the same gos for all delayed release dates for pc. the same company make the pc and xbox versions guys and they push the market however they please

20. Matthias says:

I agree on the fact that PC gamers are getting screwed as far sa games go. I found it sad when i went to school and nobody knew about HL2. Personally i think Halo 2 was overrated. And its possible that HL2 might be, but im a diehard fan of half-life, or counter strike. As far as pads go, there is no comparison. You get the biggest Counter Strike noob on the plannet on a pc, and the best console gamer on a pad, and the PC gamer will win, not because of skill, but because of the amount of customization and control you have with a keyboard and mouse

21. BRI says:

i was just saying gaming wise PC was heading down, but i wish that wasnt the case b/c i’m a PC purist. and i can see your point bob about releasing halo 2 PC after the xbox version but why so long? for halo it was what a year? thats insane, release them at the same time if everyone buys the PC version (which i doubt would happen) then they’ll make more money b/c most PC games cost more than console games.

also i dont think conolers are less skilled, they are actually very skilled within their console "feild" but put a consoler in the position of playing agame on the PC and its kinda funny (vice versa for PC to console situation). i dunno theres no victor in this debate and never will be until games are released on all platforms.

22. BRI says:

o "conolers" is suppose to say "consolers" just got home from school so sprry, damn there i go agian, SORRY ahhhemm for the bad spelling (and repeated posts)

23. SP K says:

PC gaming will always be the place to be for revolution and innovation. I guess consoles have some innovative stuff in sports but that is simutaniously cross platform anyway. But overall consoles = evolution. Adventure games PC first, FPS PC first, RTS PC first, RPGs PC first Half Life 2 PC first. Not to mention MODs I cant imagine Microsoftie handing over the keys to mod Halo 2. But when I buy HL2 on PC I know I am really buying like 50 games over the next 3 years.

24. pimpreborn says:

Okay, so I’m watching all of my roomies play Halo 2 on X Box and I’ll can think about is, "man, if only I could use my experience plaing Halo 1 on PC and destroy them on my level." And I agree, PC gaming is so much better because of the sensitivity and speed. And what’s this I hear about no Halo 2 on PC. I’ve been waiting for it to come out for years now. I guess I wont be able to take a crap and bea on-line gamers anymore. Waht a travisty.

25. Matthias says:

yeah i thought it was pretty sad when nobody at my school had heard of HL2, and when asked about counterstrike, they said "you mean that awesome xbox game?" if anyone has tried the xbox version theyknow that it takes all of the fun away compared to steams CS 1.6.

ahhh the madness

26. nonw says:

Somone else wrote "that episode III game pisses me off, its suppose to tie in with the movie , like the matrix game did, but its only for ps/ps2/xbox. agian why no pc? are we just stupid idiots who only play online mmorgs? online play isnt even pc exclusive anymore, niether is modding. yes i’m ranting but hey isnt that what this page is for? thanks for the support nick.

buying an xbox for two frikin games is idiotic, why do i have to buy a system and a game? its stupid and uncalled for. and if ppl think i should do that then they are welcome to send me money at iamverypoor.msn.com."

27. sam says:

will there be a halo 3?

28. Matthias says:

hey man no need for name calling… we all have to agree that pc has advantages over xbox, and vice-versa ( although few ) this is for bitching, not name calling

29. Matthias says:

as for halo 3… rumor has it that bungie is now discussing the possibility. but most people right now will agree that either A) it would kill the game to make Halo3. B) It is not now under production, so its not something to worry about. be content with H2 for now

30. halo guy says:

Will Hlao 2 EVER come out for the PC?

31. halo guy says:

If halo 1 was for the PC, why isn’t Halo 2?

32. halo guy says:

Thousands of peaple would like it if halo 2 was for the PC.

33. BRI says:

ps: it is your adittude (nonw) that makes me so pissed sometimes at console gamers.

34. nick says:

bri i;m still argeeing with qaute: tommy b mentioned the differences between consoles and pc and hes right but sadly the pc is dead or dying and people who cant afford consoles or are commited to the pc are going to be screwed, consoles are just trying to become a pc only without a monitor, ex. ps2’s "tower" reminds me of a smaller pathetic pc tower.

nonw:You wouldn’t buy an xbxo for 2 freakin games man and plus xbox live is the best online system out there pal. some ppl just dont have the money to pay like 10 times the price for good gaming when the graphics/gameplay are almost the same. plus the the xbox console has some good exclusive games and crap so why dont you quit bitching and buy it already. fag

i guess you were saying that to me well i don’t care what you think i will buy one i think its time for a change i already got a gamecube kinda pissed about the kiddy games some games are good but most suck! bri i got some really good ass games on my comp halo pc better that xbox more mutil levels more weapons graphics depends on what graphic card you have or what ever jedi knight outcast kinda suck on gamecube but awsome on pc u can get a cheat were u can cut ppl in half cut there heads off sweet shit man and my friend at school has played half life actully has the game says it one of the best he has ever played is that true? also sims is pretty fununleashed is sorty good to bad you can’t get the rocket thingy for the kids they burn down the house.thats about it if i were to gve comp and consle playing ratings from 1-10 i would give comp 9 and consle like a 5.5 pc is alot better. tell me want games u have.

35. nick says:

bri don’t like the fact u think i’m idiotic and that bad thing is half the time my dads on the comp so i need somthing cloase to a pc to heal my pain of not geting on the comp for 5 hours while he is looking and politics stuff. well if u still think i’m idiotic well i can’t stop ya from thinkin that even thoit is kinda of a rip off counting that i would only have about 20 30 $ after i buy it :( well idk o ya halo3 just kinda dose’nt sound right to me i think halo2 already had a sorta bad story line plot what ever u call it well i better see halo2 come out for pc i mean halo was for it why not halo2. someone plz tell me if the chances r good

36. beasta says:

Halo 2 is good, y did it take 3 long ass years. If it get on pc, it is time to own ppl.

Playing on x-box is good. Killing ppl if fun

37. sam says:

so will there be 1 ?

38. Leigh Morris says:

I have played Halo 2 and i have completed it but i am vry disappointed at the ending. First it shows yourself as a covenant called ‘Arbiter’ and asks the orical (Blue flyin cube, sings to its self, from ‘Halo’) where is this thing, it says ‘The Ark of course’. So more/less u (Arbiter), jonhsen and some girl take a trip to the ‘Ark’.

Then, Master Chief is on a Covenant ship that is headin back to earth to and he says that ‘To finish off this fight!’, and thats it!!

I want to know when is the next Halo 2 as i completed it in two days from the 11th Nov. when it came out. i am really desperate to know when is the next halo 2 episode comin out so i can get it and i know what happens in the end!!!

39. sam says:

i mean will there be halo 3? or there will not??

40. nick says:

i don’t know what else could they say it sounds like the covedent are friends now with the humans what would they do next the flood come to earth. i don’t think it would be good for the game if they made a thrid one to be onest.. tell me what u think

41. BRI says:

i dont remeber calling anyone an idiot but if i did sorry, i just am tired of getting the ass end of gaming (most of the times, exceptions HL2 etc)

42. Matthias says:

i have absolutely no complaints about pc games. from my experience, pc games will always have better graphics, and there will always be more pc games. i could care less about halo 2 for pc because of how pissed off i was about the ending… Half Life is a game everyone should play. play the original (it was voted game of the year by over 50 gaming syndicates) then play HL2. it has the most advanced graphics/physics engine on the planet. H2 has nothing on HL2

43. BRI says:

ok now i’m pissed again at the lack of respect of those of us w/out consoles, Knights of the Old Republic was an awesome game one that i think ran better on a computer, BUT its sequel The Sith Lords will be released on X-Box on Dec. 6th while myself aand those of us with computers must wait until FEBUARY!? jeez, January i’d understand but c’mon that means the PC version wont be available for the holidays (except for xbox of course urgh).

44. nick says:

well i played halo2 at my friends house yesterday really takin in the action because we had to go inl like 10 min. hmmmmmm well i have played about 5 maybe six levels in that game and sounds to me u barley get to be master cheif :( his that damn main person not the elite. i also don’t like the fact that the last level umm srry if anyone has not gotin to this level or dose not have the game but ur an elite which is cool but don’t u think the ending of the game should be with the main person not some secondariy person. well the level was good the boss was easy as hell since u have about 5 elites of your on going for him blue red and gold elites u can actully just walk off and your elites will kill him there selfs. after we bet him it gose to earth of couarse u see the covendent drophips flying down then u see the ship mc in the genreal tells the gun to fire at the ship then mc talks to him then says i’m goin to end this fight sounds like a level is about to start well your wrong damn credits come up then i got this feeling wow ok what did the game just tell me wait another five years get a new console <xbox2> and wait for halo3 umm will i’m goin to be at colloegde and not much time to play video games. well all in all the story line suck well kinda suck ending really suck game play aswome multiplayer ok-good depends how many ppl your playing with 2 ppl kinda lame but 16 ppl now you got something good there. the grahics are good weapons good duel weilding u mit jsut kinda wish u could weld like two brute shot fuel rood even those carben guns i would like to have seen the orignal assult rifle well if anyone knows more about the game then i do please tell me some fun and good and bad stuff u think about the game o and damn i wish i could right a scarb in that game the big spider thing awsome f#$@ing awsome

45. eclipsemod says:

You know what?? I kinda have doubts about halo 2 ever coming out on PC. I mean if it does, the, f***ing great! I was just playing halo 2 on xbox live and i cant stand the controls!! man..it feels so slow compared to using a mouse and keyboard! I hate it hate it hate it!! i dont give a rats ass what anybody says, but you have way more control with mouse and keyboard! This can even be proven! how you may ask?? Take halo 2, put it on PC and allow them to play against those bastards who play the game on consoles! we’ll see who has more control then! God….that dumb joy stick controller thingy was like a nightmare! oh, and dont get dat smart joy frag adaptor..it doesnt give you TRUE mouse movement. Its movement increments are still limited on da xbox! BRING HALO 2 ON PC!!!

46. WORLD COMMUNITY GRID says:

hail,

we must wait for the coming of the antichrist.

JOIN WORLD COMMUNITY GRID OR EXPERIENCE A HORRIBLE DEATH.

PS. I AM WAITING FOR HALF LIFE 3 SO I CAN KNOW WTF HAPPENED IN HL1 AND 2

47. WORLD COMMUNITY GRID says:

AND THEN WHEN I HAVE FINISHED HALF LIFE 3, I WILL BE WAITING FOR HALF LIFE 4 AND 5 TO EXPLAIN WTF HAPPENED IN HALF LIFE 3

HALO IS SIMILAR STORY ONLY THAT YOU REACH HALO 9 AND 10 TO EXPLAIN WTF HAPPENED IN HALO 2

48. WORLD COMMUNITY GRID says:

AND HALO 11 WILL STILL BE EXPLAINING WTF HAPPENED IN HALO 2

49. nick says:

lol ya the stroy is kinda like that.

50. Crome 60 says:

I think that Halo to is an awesome game but the storyline disappointed me also bungie left out allot of things they said were going to be in the game like what happened to defending earth the whole game was on halo again except for 3 levels that was lame and vehicles what happened to the ATV they were going to add and all toughs different wart hogs you hardly got to use the one they added in fact I think its only once and they totally took out the demo level from the game personally that 9 minute demo that came out before the game looked cooler then the actual game you don’t even get to see toughs covenit canons at work in the game im sorry but im way disappointed

51. Someone says:

ok people… srry to spoil the fun but… HALO 2 will NOT go to the PC. You know why? After Halo came out on PC people didnt like it as mch as when it was on the Xbox. So then Microsoft just dropped HALO 2 for PC and now Halo PC Edition is now basicly a collectors item because they have completely stopped making them. Be rdy for Halo PC to go outta stock… sryy for the spoiler…

52. Someone is an idiot says:

the guy above me is wrong, because halo 2 is on PC and will be released later on in the year.

You have to watch out for peoples opinions, because some people think they are always right, and therefore think their opinions are fact.

53. someone else says:

The reason halo on xbox did better then halo on PC, is because everyone who had a xbox could play halo, whereas everyone who had a PC, needed to have the specifications to be able to play it.

Also, people that played halo on xbox normally did so with their mates. This was alot better on the xbox because it doesn’t lag like the internet does.