Photo Story 3 Available for Download

We released the latest version of Photo Story yesterday, and it is now available for download for Windows XP users. If you’re like me, you probably have a hard drive full of digital photos that you’d like to make into an easy-to-download (or e-mail) slide show. Well, this free tool makes that process extremely simple. Here are some of its features:

• It’s very easy to add motion and transitions to give your slide show that Ken Burns documentary effect.
  • You can add your own music or have the system automatically generate custom themes based on several music styles (it does a pretty good job at this).
  • If you have a microphone attached to your computer, you can easily add your own narration.
  • You can retouch your images by correcting color levels, reducing/eliminating red-eye, rotating, or cropping.
  • There are about 10 styles that you can apply to make your images look like they were created with watercolor, colored pencil, chalk or charcoal, or any of a few other styles.
  • This new version can automatically remove any black borders from your image so that it occupies more of the frame (very cool). This is based on work done by Microsoft Research.
  • You can optionally add your own caption for each picture.
  • When you’re done composing your slide show, you can have Photo Story create a file for use on your computer, a Pocket PC, a Smartphone, a Portable Media Center, or for sending via e-mail.

Channel 9 has an interesting 24 minute demonstration by Vladimir Rovinsky and a second 28 minute interview with members of the product team. Also, Paul Thurrott’s SuperSite for Windows has a good review of Photo Story 3 that is worth reading.

1. Jacques Troux says:

Too bad you can’t download it with a non-IE browser 🙁 (the page requires an Active X control that does who-knows-what)

2. paul livingstone says:

does any spyware or other programs have to download with this?

3. I really need a like this product !

4. Paul:

The download only includes Photo Story 3…nothing else.

5. kristian says:

O carnt get it but my frend has it and its brill fan dabby dosy

6. Mark Coffman says:

I’ve got guides and tutorials for this excellent piece of software!

<a href="http://www.windowsphotostory.com">Windows”>http://www.windowsphotostory.com">Windows Photo Story</a>

7. Mark Coffman says:

Also, there are really good guides and tutorials (and forums) at http://www.windowsphotostory.com

8. sunny says:

Is there a way to run this Photo Story 3 on Windows Server 2003?

9. amit says:

the download doesn’t require any validation now. Why did microsoft change the policy ?

amit @ http://labnol.blogspot.com

10. Justin says:

I thought this program looked like a lot of fun until I tried installing it and each time i do I get "Error 28000: Generic customer action error".

Has anyone else encountered this and managed to workaround it?

11. Jennifer says:

Justin, I also have encountered the same error- I cannot figure out what is going on…have you determined what the problem was?

12. Nathan says:

I’m having the same problem.  I rang microsoft and this is where they pointed me…

13. Nathan says:

Hey Jennifer.

Try this.  It has apparently work for many others.  I am now passed the error 28000 and now have a new one error 1317.  Frustrating. Anyway, here is the error 28000 link. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813649 .  It says its about 27000 but it does actually work.

14. long says:

photo story is a best Software

15. julia says:

I also have this "famous" error 2800… I’ve tried do solve this by doing what they said in that link… but it was not worth because my computer’s language is not english… I still have the problem…..   =(. I really hope somebody can help me! THANK YOU!

16. gigo says:

i found a solution: sorry im german but i try to translate it. go to working station, right click on the folder documents, go to properties and than enable it for all users of the network. than it works, yesss

17. Rel says:

I managed to get the program installed and working, but when it is ‘building the story’ at the end of it all, I get to step 3, and then get ‘there is not enough memory or disk space to complete this operation’ etc.

I’ve done everything it says to do, re-installed, even re-downloaded & re-installed, and tried it on 3 different computers, all with massive HDD’s and more than enough RAM, any ideas on what I am doing wrong? I’ve come to the conclusion that it must be something I’ve done, otherwise, why would I get the same error message at the same point on 3 different computers?

18. I have the some problem, but in my laptop works fine, but in my desktop gives me the same error can you help me????

my e-mail it´s azevedooscar@hotmail.com

19. Sandy Minton says:

I have loved Photo Story 3 . . . up to this point.

The pictures I take with my camera ( HP with dock ) work fine.  I ‘imported’ some pics from a cd. . . .and saved them on my hard drive, in a different area from my other pics. They, as mine, are jpeg files. When I put together a photo story,  I can ‘bring in’ my pictures, and all is well from beginning to end. . .including burning DVD.  I can do same with the other pics, with same results.  However, when using both sets of pics ( and attempting to save ‘story’ ) error message indicates ‘some files are corrupted’.  The last time I attempted a new story using both sets of pics, I did NOT save before making the DVD.  The process was almost complete when an error message indicated that the DVD could not be made and the program needed to be shut down.

Why could this be happening?

20. Christy says:

I’m having the same problem. I get to the end of the program and try to save it and it tells me that there is not enough memory.  I have tried this at least 8 times.  I have removed and re-installed the program on 2 different computers; today I will try a 3rd.

21. grbonbon says:

i have completed my photostory in photostory3 only to find out i can not burn it to a vcd.

i do not have a dvd burner. what to do? Also when i try to play a story withih photostory is says "a device attached to this system is not functioning" I looked and can find no problems within my computer.

Please help

22. sashayin says:

The following is taken from Margaret Ann, who seems to have the same problem as I do. please help.

I downloaded  and installed Photo Story 3. I have not yet been successful in saving a project. When I preview my project, everything is find with music/narration, but after I saved the project and tried to playback with Media Center, the music/narration disappeared.

My window media player does not seem have a number, but should I update it, which version is the best, 10 or 11?

Would appreciate any help you can give me.

Thank you.

23. I am taking photo class and my teacher recommended this program

24. Mark Azz. says:

i am having the same problem as others.  when i preview my video and its all done i try to save it but it says there is not enough room. i have over 100 gigabytes on my hard drive free. i think that is enough.  but has anyone figured out how to save it?

25. Ken B says:

In case anyone’s checking back here, I’ve the same “not enough memory” message when trying to save as “profile for computer-2” format. I’ve a slide show with 80 photos. However, the “profile for creating DVSs – NTSC (640 x 480)” worked (same size).

Stange…

26. sps says:

Is there a way to run this Photo Story 3 on Windows Server 2003?

Thursday, November 11, 2004 4:06 AM by sunny

Run this command in the same dir where the ownloaded file is:

msiexec /i PStory.msi NOLEGITCHECK=1 SKIPOSCHECK=1

After navigate to installed dir and create a shortcut on your desktop, hope it helps!

I tried this on Win2008, prob will work with 2003 too…

27. A. Riha says:

Can someone please tell me how to burn a CD or DVD without downloading Sonic Software of the Photo Story that I have created?

28. Johno says:

this command installed it,

msiexec /i PStory.msi NOLEGITCHECK=1 SKIPOSCHECK=1

but it wont run the exe, ive tried compatability etc… any ideas?

29. sps says:

I installed on Server 2008, not 2003

Did you create a shortcut of the .exe?

# re: Photostory on Server 2003

this command installed it,

msiexec /i PStory.msi NOLEGITCHECK=1 SKIPOSCHECK=1

but it wont run the exe, ive tried compatability etc… any ideas?

Monday, April 07, 2008 3:50 AM by Johno

30. Roland Cleaver says:

If PS3 says “a device attached to the system is not functioning” there’s a good chance this is because another media player, like VLC or Nero, has associated with WMV files.

Go to one of the menu buttons and select “More Options…” -> “Filetypes” tab. Make sure WMV is ticked and hit “Apply” or “OK”.

You shouldn’t need to reinstall WMP.

31. Cecilia Pincock says:

I am trying to figure out your fix to "device attached to the system is not functioning" you said to go to menu.  What menu? From where?  I have installed NERO program so I think this will fix it if I can get to the correct menu.

Please help

32. H-P Creative Digital Communications says:

or Windows Media Player are missing or may be corrupted. Quit other programs, free additional space or your hard disk, and then try again. If the issue is not resolved, If the issue is not resolved, reinstall Photo Story 3 for Windows and Windows Media Player.” I tried reinstalling all the software aswell as checking i have enough memory on my computer, and it still wont work any idea why this might be, please reply asap.

33. Paul says:

anyone have any luck installing on 2003?  I tried the 2008 trick and it installs but will not run.

34. Jose Sinti says:

Hello everyone I’ve just found out about Photo Story and I need to install it to be available for some Thin Clients, my problem is that I’m running Win2003 on my server and when I try to install it I can’t because the version is not compatible. I tried this command msiexec /c PStory.msi NOLEGITCHECK=1 SKIPOSCHECK=1, it opens up the MSIEXEC and I run it but after it nothing comes up (I think it should install it and then I was going to have to place the short cut where I want) Well It’s not working if anyone know how to make it work on Win2003 please leave me a message.

Thanks!

35. When i come to complete the slide show in photostory three the following error message appears: “There is not enough memory or disk space to complete this operation, or program files for photo story 3 for Windows

I also cannot preview.  I get the same message.  I have Windows Vista.  3 days ago the preview worked fine. Now it is not working.

Help!

36. Jack says:

Ive tried downloading it but it doesn’t and i downloaded it before but now it seas this program is going to uninstall and i did nothing? help me

37. Jonathan says:

We are a ZENWorks shop, which give us system level access.

I ran into 2 conditions I had to fix for proper functionality.

1 is to bypass the Windows Validation and FirstRun requirement for Microsoft Media Player by injecting the following reg settings:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftMediaPlayerPreferences]

“AcceptedEULA”=dword:00000001

“FirstTime”=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREPoliciesMicrosoftWindowsMediaPlayer]

“GroupPrivacyAcceptance”=dword:00000001

2. Use cmd to force the correct file association (instead of using the GUI to do it):

assoc .mwv=MWVFile