It’s hard to believe it has been 15 years, as it seems so fresh in my memory… Do you remember August 24, 1995? Why is that date such a memorable one? Well, it was the launch of Windows 95 and oh, what a day that was. How many of you were anxiously waiting for the final release and getting your hands on the newest Windows Operating System from Microsoft? (Like the Windows 7 launch excitement through pre-orders, etc.!) I know I was LOVING this day back in 1995!
Fifteen years ago today, I was the owner of a computer software and hardware reseller in the U.S. and a Microsoft partner serving corporate, government, and educational customers across the U.S. (we hadn’t expanded internationally yet). The excitement and buzz was everywhere around Microsoft’s latest operating system, Windows 95. I even remember having the debate, “Should we be open early on launch day?” (Some of you may remember the midnight openings at many computer stores for the Windows 95 launch) Since we weren’t into end user retail sales at the time, we opted out of opening early and kept our regular hours, but oh the excitement from the clients once we did open for business!
In 1995 at Microsoft:
- The company celebrated it’s 20 year anniversary
- Bill Gates authors his first book, “The Road Ahead,” which quickly hit the bestseller lists
- Microsoft & NBC entered into a partnership: MSNBC
- Microsoft had less than 18,000 employees
Oh, how far we’ve all come since that very exciting day back then! What is also very exciting is to look at where we are today. During the 15th anniversary of Windows 95, there is Windows 7: (What a way to carry on the legacy!)
- Windows 7 is the fastest selling Windows Operating System in history!
- Windows 7 saw the largest beta testing program in the history of the industry, with 8 million testers worldwide!
- People from more than 113 countries downloaded the Windows 7 beta
- People from around the world are raving about the fantastic features, benefits, usability and more of Windows 7
- PC shipments increased 24.7% in Q1 of this year (exceeding forecast of 22% growth), according to Gartner
- Windows PC sales at retail grew 25% YOY in Q1, according to NPD
- Mobile PC shipments are up 43% YOY in 2010 (the highest the mobile PC market has experienced in eight years!) according to Gartner
- Plus much more…
Anyway, I just wanted to take a brief moment to take a trip down memory lane, back 15 years to that exciting day when Windows 95 broke onto the scene, and look at how far we have come and just ponder for a moment… to think about how incredibly exciting it is to see where we are today, where we are going and what we will accomplish over the next 15 years!
Any of you have any stories that you remember from back then? I’d love to hear about them if you are willing to share.
Thank you and have a wonderful day,
Eric Ligman – Follow me on TWITTER, LinkedIn, and RSS and see “What I’m thinking”
Global Partner Experience Lead
Microsoft Worldwide Partner Group
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights