Latest update on Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC)

In an effort to keep you updated on the current status of the Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC) update, I am providing you with this update.  First, let me start by letting you know that we sincerely apologize to our partners and customers for the inconvenience that they have had during the upgrade improvements for the Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC) site. We understand it is inconvenient and greatly value doing business with our partners and customers.  I personally appreciate all of the input and feedback I have received from several of you.

As part of an ongoing effort to improve the customer licensing experience , Microsoft recently upgraded the Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center. In standard systems testing, we encountered an issue with the registration system. While the vast majority of partners and customers are able to access the system, there remain some customers who may be experiencing difficulties and it has taken us longer than expected to correct these issues.  We are taking all necessary steps to resolve the situation and we are working with each customer or partner to restore permissions if they can’t be resolved online.

The reason we updated the system:

• For partners that work on behalf of customers:

• Moving all customers to one experience: Historically, partners and customers may have accessed different web locations depending on which licensing program they participated in. Over the last year, Microsoft has slowly integrated multiple websites to help make it easier for partners and customers to manage and track their licensing information.

• Historically, partners accessed information on customers behalf on the web sites. They can continue to provide this service after the customer grants permission rights. While it may be inconvenient, the customer is legally responsible for the terms and conditions of the agreement and this protects the organization’s assets and confirms that a partner is representing on behalf of the customer. As part of the system upgrade, both the customer email address and partner email address can be included on the order when it is submitted so both have permissions. Through VLSC, the customer can add the partner as an administrator or the partner can request access to the agreement.

• Valid business email address: A Windows Live ID and a valid business email are required for registration and access to licensing information. The new site experience requires the customer to validate the business email using an invitation email from Microsoft. This industry-standard enables more secure permissions that protect customers’ data. If a customer did not have a valid email addresses before, or they’re having difficulty remembering that initial email used, they may have to contact the customer service center for help. Microsoft is working with each impacted customer or partner to restore permissions if they can’t be resolved online.

• Viewing licensing IDs: Customers may need to request administrator privileges within their organization before they can view agreements. This is something customers can easily do by logging in to VLSC, and clicking on settings to request permissions.

As with any new experience, we anticipate that many partners or customers may have questions, which can cause a longer than average hold time in some regions. We apologize for this inconvenience.  Most partners and customers are accessing the site to track, manage and use their licenses and we increased customer service staffing to help partners or customers when they call or email us for support.

Here are some resources for you that may also be helpful:

As I mentioned above, we are absolutely committed to helping our Partners and customers have a positive experience working with us, including while we work through the VLSC update process.  If you have gone through the steps listed in the above update and still are having access issues for your agreements, I’d love to hear from you on the details.  Here’s what to do:

• Submit a comment to me below and include the information listed here (Don’t worry, I will not publish any comments with this information, so it will be submitted to me and no one else will see it):

• If you are the customer trying to access your licensing agreement:

• Company name listed on agreement

• Your name & title

• Company address listed on agreement

• Your phone number

• Your email address

• Your Windows Live ID

• Agreement number you are having issues with

• When the agreement was purchased (month and year are fine)

• Issue you are having

• If you are the Partner who sold the agreement and are trying to administer your client’s agreement:

• All of the information listed above but also include:

• The contact name, phone, and email address of the contact at the client responsible for the agreement

• Your company name & address

Like this?  Share it with others:

Eric LigmanFollow me on TWITTER clip_image001and RSS clip_image002
Global Partner Experience Lead
Microsoft Worldwide Partner Group
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights

Add to Technorati Favorites

Bookmark on: MSDN , TechNet, and Expression

1. Tempest Lynn says:

Still cant Add new agreements… so status is STILL BROKEN!

Try testing it before announcing its fixed…

2. Remko says:

My problems with the VLSC are not resolved, I can no longer access any contracts. All e-mails I sent have not been replied to, this is absolutely WORTHLESS!

3. Jim Clark says:

I have a customer with MLK’s for Office and when they enter their Key, Name, Address, etc. on the registration page, it tells them that the “Product cannot be found”. When I called MS Tech Support, I was told that the servers were down for an “update” and that they had no estimated DATE (not time, but DATE) that they would be available again.

Has the MLK system now met the same fate as VLSC?

4. Karen Christian says:

So the fiasco continues. I need to purchase another OL now and the thought leaves me terrified that I will have to go through a similar horrific experience as I did in December. I must have spent a a total of 20 hours or more dealing with access issues to VLSC then.  ‘Customer service’ is a foreign language to VLSC/MS.  It was only when Eric Ligman got involved that I was able to get a license setup and the media delivered for a client project.  It shouldn’t have to be that way.  Apologies are nice but in this day and time if a company messes up ‘big time’ they should extend something extra to the impacted customer.  Guess MS doesn’t think they have to do this as they are the ‘only game in town’.

5. mssmallbiz says:

@ Lynn – I am sorry to hear about the issues you are having adding your new agreements.  Can you please submit the information requested in my post in order to look into your specific issue?

6. mssmallbiz says:

@ Remko – I am sorry to hear about the issues you are having accessing your agreements.  Can you please submit the information requested in my post in order to look into your specific issues?

7. mssmallbiz says:

@ Karen – Hey, Karen.  Thanks for the feedback.  I can assure you that we are working hard to resolve any outstanding issues and that ‘customer service’ is VERY important to us and not something we take lightly.

If you are still having an issue, please send through the information listed above so we can look into it.  If you have other questions or concerns, please let me know.

8. mssmallbiz says:

@ Jim – Can you please send through the customer & agreement information listed above so we can look into this specific incident?

9. Johnathan says:

Thanks for trying to help Eric.  I have to tell you though, this is truely a fiasco.  I’m going on 4 weeks of not being able to register $50k worth of licenses.  4 calls to the VLSC, emails, multiple calls/emails to my VAR, etc.

If you have any influence on the VLSC group leadership, I suggest these items for consideration:

- Why was this change done with NO prior notification to users?  Since eopen/VLSC is tied to passport accounts there’s no sane reason why users were not communicated the new process in advance.

- No communication to VARs.  VLSC support said VARs were trained.  I work with one of the largest VARs in the country (Insight), and they have no clue.

- If it’s so complicated I have to download a Word document to understand the process, then it’s not user friendly and should be replaced.

- Emails and Open License documents reference the old eopen site and process.  The email and document language should have been changed at the same time.

- 4 weeks and no response to VLSC support email.

- VLSC toll-free number rings busy when support center overloaded.  Microsoft has run out of phone lines?

- VLSC support staff confused on their ability to add eOpen agreements to my account on my behalf.  One said yes and added for me (and I received the email), one said impossible, one said yes, but only eOpen, last said impossible, they can’t add.  Including escalation to supervisors.

- VLSC can only look up tickets by email address first.  Give them just a ticket number and they can’t find it.  Come on, in 2010?

- Absolutely no reference to the “eAgreements” site/process.  Supposedly I have to accept an “eAgreement” before the license will appear on my account.  The eAgreements site askes for exact name, address, PCN, etc.  No clue where to get this.  Support says my VAR will know.  My VAR has no clue.  I’m supposed to know I have to complete this eAgreement how?  How am I supposed to know where to get the info?  Nothing about eAgreement in email or eOpen license doc.

- VLSC support staff confused about requesting access to license through administrator.  I am the administrator, I don’t need to “request” access to it.

- What are we supposed to do when our VLSC passport email is different than the corp email our VAR uses for the license?

Serously, the old process of entering the agreement numbers worked fine.  This new process stinks.  If you see the person(s) who came up with this brilliant new plan please kick them in the shins for me.

10. Susan says:

The MLK for Office is impacted by the pulling of media for the patent issue is my understanding.

Different issue, but a mess to consultants nonetheless.

11. Travis says:

So frustrating… I’m trying to roll out Windows 7 and I can’t since I can’t add my license to our agreement so I can’t request a MAK key. We bought 25 licenses and they’re basically worthless right now.

12. mssmallbiz says:

@ Johnathan – Can you please send through the contact and agreement information requested above so we can look into this specific incident?

13. mssmallbiz says:

@ Travis – Can you please send through the contact and agreement information requested above so we can look into this specific incident?

14. admatrix says:

I agree with it. I tried to add new agreement and it does not show the new agreement. How to get the product keys for new agreement? I think old eopen much better than this.

15. mssmallbiz says:

@ admatrix – Can you please send through the contact and agreement information requested above so we can look into this specific incident?

16. Paul Holoway says:

When I login into eopen, I cannot find where to add a new agreement?

Can someone show me where I can add new agreements.

Kind Regards

Paul

17. mssmallbiz says:

@ Paul – If you are logged in to the VLSC and do not see your organization’s Licensing IDs, please follow these steps to request access:

1. Before you start, please update your bookmark and refresh the site at  https://www.microsoft.com/licensing/servicecenter

2. Log onto VLSC

3. Go to “Settings > Request Permissions”

4. Select appropriate “Program”, enter “Licensing ID” (Authorization # & License # for Open), select permissions required and provide optional comment before clicking on “submit”.

A request will be sent to the administrator of the Agreement (email address submitted at time of order as primary contact) who should approve/reject as appropriate.

18. Kurt says:

How do we contact you with the information?  Are the comments held for approval before going public?

19. mssmallbiz says:

@ Makis S from Greece: Can you please send through your contact info (phone & email) so we can follow up with you?  Thanks for submitting the other information.

20. mssmallbiz says:

@ Kurt – Yes, as noted in my post above, I am not allowing any submissions that contain licensing or contact information to be viewed publicly to protect your information and strictly using that information to try and help address the issues being raised.

21. mssmallbiz says:

@ Kevin G from Erie – Please check your inbox at the email address you supplied in your submission.

22. mssmallbiz says:

@ Martin P from NJ – Please check your inbox at the email address you supplied in your submission.

23. mssmallbiz says:

@ Paul H from UK – Please check your inbox at the email address you supplied in your submission.

24. mssmallbiz says:

@ Greg H from WI – Please check your inbox at the email address you supplied in your submission.

25. mssmallbiz says:

@ Joshua L from NM – Thanks for information you shared and I hope the information I provided helped.

26. mssmallbiz says:

@ Kevin G from Erie – Thanks for the email this morning letting me know you now have access to the agreements and this situation has been resolved.  Glad I could be of assistance!

27. mssmallbiz says:

@ Yannis from Greece – Thank you for the email this morning letting us know that you now have access to the agreements and your situation has been resolved.  Glad we could assist!

28. mssmallbiz says:

@ Martin P – Thank you for the update that your situation has been resolved and that you now have access to the agreements in question.  Glad we could be of assistance.  Also, thank you very much for the input and feedback on the situation and site.  I will be sure to provide that to the teams responsible.

29. conit says:

It would have been a little easier to deal with if VLSC support actually admitted there was a problem, instead of telling you that there was a backlog of licenses going through the system, so just wait 48hrs. 3 times I waited 48Hrs (6 days) and they still did not admit there was a major issue and I still could not access my licenses.

30. mssmallbiz says:

@ Conit – Sorry to hear about the delays.  If you submit the info requested above, I’m happy to look into it.

31. mssmallbiz says:

@ Greg from WI – Thank you for the message this morning letting me know that you are now in and have access to your agreements!

32. mssmallbiz says:

@ Keith S – Please can you provide me the information requested above plus your Windows Live ID so I can look into your case?  Without it, I cannot.

33. mssmallbiz says:

@ Andrew – Can you please submit the information requested above along with your Windows Live ID so that I can look into your case.  Without it, I cannot.

34. My thoughts concur with the majority of the comments above.  Our EAS signed in December is a shambles.  VLSC access has been promised, repromised but delivery is non existent.  Microsoft is selling products they cannot deliver and preventing IT from delivering projects to their companies.  The worst professional I have ever had, working like crazy to convince management to go with a supplier that cannot deliver!!!!

35. Eric:

I buy licenses and go on the site to retrive my software because Microsoft will not supply media. It took 5 or 6 different calls Most answered “not our job or area and they gave me another number that did not work.

it took about 45 minutes to download and the “smart” download system will not work with Apple.

Microsoft has an insane license system. Adobe who has a difficult system looks like a five star hotel compared to Microsoft’s park bench.

In 1986 I was luck enough to meet Bill Gates at a Microsoft conference, and I don’t think he would be proud of the present system.

Brian

36. mssmallbiz says:

@Louis – If you provide me with the information requested above, I am happy to look into it.

37. Dan Brant says:

I sincerely hope that MS considers going back to the previous sites for their licensing and then introduces the “new” VLSC as a beta site to test out all these problems. I have a major project that I have had to put on hold within my organization due to being unable to access the media and keys for our agreement.

38. Robert Wilson says:

We purchased Microsoft software 5 days ago and we’re still trying to figure out how to get it off the licensing service server. Thanks for suggesting that we use this on-line nonsense! Unable to get knowledgeable support. The site has little function. No call-back on escalated case#. Same old Microsoft customer service.

39. mssmallbiz says:

@ Robert – Thank you for the input.  If you could please submit the information requested above, it would provide the information I need to be able to look into it.

40. mssmallbiz says:

@ Mark Thompson – Mark, if you could please submit the information requested above, it would make it much easier to look into the issue you submitted about.

41. mssmallbiz says:

@ Mark Thompson – Have you already requested permission to those agreements you cannot see through the VLSC site to add them to your view?  I have the steps to do this posted on my Blog in this post: http://bit.ly/8kTmpa

42. mssmallbiz says:

@ John W from the UK – Can you please send me the information requested above so I can look into your situation?

43. mssmallbiz says:

@ princec from NetSys – Can you please submit the information listed above?  You did not provide the Windows Live ID, email, etc. in your submission and I will ned those to effectively look into this.

44. Jim Collis says:

We are still waiting after 2.5 months.  What more is  there to say?  Just like the other posters no call backs, cases closed at random.

45. mssmallbiz says:

@ Jim Collis – If you could please submit the information requested in my post above, I am happy to look into it for you.

46. mssmallbiz says:

Microsoft is looking for customers and Partners for VLSC usability feedback.  If any of you are interested, you can sign up today: http://bit.ly/8YNHgQ

47. mssmallbiz says:

@ Alex S – Can you please provide the information requested above so I can take a look into your situation?

48. Bill O says:

This new site is just one problem after another. Please bring back the old E-Open site, it was slow but at least it worked. We lost all our SA for every license. All our licenses are now split up between 3 different Live ID accounts. We also cannot add new aggreements. The site says we have 12 pending agreement requests but nothing shows up on the approval page. Whoever redisigned this site should be fired.

49. mssmallbiz says:

@ Bill O – Can you please provide me the information requested in my post and I am happy to look into it.

50. mssmallbiz says:

@ J.P. – Can you please submit the information requested in the post above and I am happy to look into it.

51. mssmallbiz says:

@ J.P. – Your comment was submitted to my Blog post at: http://bit.ly/4EiLF6.  This is the post I am referring to.  At the bottom of the Blog post I have some data points that will enable me to look into the situation.

52. mssmallbiz says:

@ J.P. – I believe you will see your request has gone through within the next 12 hours or so.

53. mssmallbiz says:

@P Paddock – Can you please submit the information requested in my Blog post above so I can take a look into it?

54. mssmallbiz says:

@ Jim Collis – Can you please include your Live ID along with the Authorization Number for the agreement you sent in?

55. mssmallbiz says:

@ Ben McD – Can you please send me the information requested in the Blog post above so I can look into your specific case?

56. J.P. says:

I can SEE,,,I can SEE…!!!

Your assistance was and is greatly appreciated.

PS.

I really hope you don’t have to do this one at a time for everybody in the future….

57. Chris says:

I just tried to login today and cannot access the site. I tried with 3 different business email addresses and none of them worked. i confirm, login and i have nothing but grayed out options with locks on them. Some how i have been locked out of my own licenses and I am the admin. I have no faith in getting any response from support. I need access ASAP.

58. mssmallbiz says:

@ Chris – Can you please submit the information requested in my Blog post above so that I can look into this?  Your comment includes no information that allows me to help you or look into your situation.

59. mssmallbiz says:

@ Rob P – Thanks for the comment.  You did not supply any means to contact you at for any follow-up.  Would you mind submitting an email address &/or phone number for follow-up?

Thanks – Eric