Here is some very exciting news, whether you used the Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit in the past or not. The Version 4.0 Beta of the Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit is now available!
The Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit is an integrated planning toolkit that makes it easier for Microsoft customers and partners to quickly identify what servers, workstations, and network devices are in their IT environment. This agent less and scalable toolkit has the ability to discover all computers within Active Directory and workgroup environments. It performs key functions that include hardware and device inventory, hardware compatibility analysis, and generation of actionable, environment-specific IT proposals for migration to most major Microsoft technologies.
What’s New with v4.0?
Version 4.0 of this toolkit has the following new features:
- Windows 7 Hardware and Device Compatibility Assessment
- Windows Server 2008 R2 Hardware and Device Compatibility Assessment
- Virtualization Candidates Assessment for Hyper-V R2 Server Consolidation
- Integration with the Microsoft Integrated Virtualization ROI Calculator
- Inventory of VMware Server Hosts and Guests
- User Interface and Proposal Customization for Partner co-branding
- Enhanced Usability and Improved Inventory Performance
Other features from version 3.2 have also been carried over to version 4.0:
- Virtualization Candidates Assessment for Hyper-V Server Consolidation
- Windows Vista Hardware and Device Compatibility Assessment
- Windows Server 2008 Hardware and Device Compatibility Assessment
- 2007 Microsoft Office Readiness Assessment
- SQL Server Instance Discovery
- Desktop Security Assessment for Anti-virus and Anti-malware Programs Installation
- Forefront Client Security/NAP Readiness Assessment
- Online Services (Exchange Online) Assessment
- App-V Infrastructure Readiness Assessment
- Power Savings “Green IT” Calculator
Benefits to Customers and Partners
Saves Planning or Pre-Sales Time. For most IT consultants and Microsoft Partners, a detailed network inventory and assessment of servers and desktops often takes days of manual labor. With Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit, you can now conduct an environment inventory of up to 100,000 computers in a matter of hours instead of days, giving you extra time to focus on critical planning or pre-sales tasks. For IT professionals, this toolkit can significantly reduce the time it takes to gather the information necessary to make the business case for client, server, and virtualization projects.
Provides Actionable Recommendations and Reporting. This toolkit provides valuable inventory and readiness assessment reports with environment-specific upgrade recommendations and virtualization candidate reports, making it easier for IT migration and deployment projects to get off the ground and running.
Covers Wide Range of Scenarios–from Desktops to Servers. This toolkit offers technology assessments and planning recommendations for many Microsoft desktop and server products including Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Hyper-V R2, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Hyper-V, Virtual Server 2005 R2, 2007 Microsoft Office, SQL Server 2008, Forefront Client Security, Network Access Protection, Microsoft Online Services, Microsoft Application Virtualization (or App-V), and more.
Next Steps–How can I get Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit 4.0 Beta?
- Download Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit 4.0 Beta and give us your feedback (Live ID login and registration required)
- View the Webcast on MAP Toolkit 4.0 Beta (use Recording Key: fqX`%3t.X)
- Learn more about this toolkit and read case studies on TechNet
- To provide technical feedback on this Beta, please e-mail at MAPSBETA@microsoft.com
- Get the latest news from the Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit Team Blog
Thank you and have a wonderful day,
Eric Ligman – Follow me on
Global Partner Experience Lead
Microsoft Worldwide Partner Group
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights