One of the topics I get asked about quite a bit or see being asked about is around the topic of Software Assurance (SA). I have several posts on the Blog about this topic; however, I thought it might be very helpful to package up some of the top questions, resources, answers, and posts into one to make it easier for everyone to find. So, here it is.
Some resources and popular questions, with links to the answers:
- Microsoft Software Assurance home page – Includes interactive Software Assurance Benefits Chart
- Software Assurance Customer Guide
- Is Software Assurance an optional item or something automatically included in the licenses themselves?
- When can I add Software Assurance and what happens to the license when Software Assurance is added and the machine retires?
- I forgot to purchase Software Assurance when I ordered. Now what?
- Why you should stop selling or buying Software Assurance…
- If I add Software Assurance to my OEM Windows license, can I transfer the Windows license to a new PC?
- OEM Microsoft Server software. New short video answers top questions about adding Software Assurance.
- Adding Software Assurance to your OEM Office licenses. What you need to know…
- Do my licenses expire after three years with Open Value when my Software Assurance expires?
- Which Open License Programs include Software Assurance benefits?
- Activating your Open Value Software Assurance benefits, step by step (Part 1)
- Activating your Open Value Software Assurance benefits, step by step (Part 2)
- Activating your Open Business Software Assurance benefits, step by step
- How to access your E-Learning benefits in Software Assurance
Product Specific Software Assurance Questions:
- If I have Software Assurance on my SBS 2003 CALs now, do I get Standard or Premium CALs when SBS 2008 launches?
- How do we get the SBS Software Assurance benefits such as: Outlook 2007, Entourage 2008, ISA 2006 + additional Windows Server 2003, and Office SharePoint Designer 2007 now that SBS 2008 is out?
- If I added Software Assurance to my OEM Office Professional 2003, what do I have rights to?
- Remember, OEM Office Pro is not the same as Office Pro + in Volume License, so your SA attach is different
- If Software Assurance expires on SBS 2003, will the client lose the right to install SBS 2003 on new hardware after SA expiration?
Software Assurance Benefits Information (Yes, these are all benefits of Software Assurance!)
- 24×7 Problem Resolution Support
- “Cold” Backups for Disaster Recovery
- Employee Purchase Program
- Enterprise Source Licensing Program
- Extended Hotfix Support
- Home Use Program
- Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack (MDOP)
- Microsoft Office Multi-Language Pack
- New Version Rights
- Packaged Services
- Spread Payments
- Step-Up License Availability
- TechNet Benefits Through Software Assurance
- Training Vouchers
- Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs
- Windows Vista Enterprise
I hope this helps consolidate some helpful resources, answers, and information for you on Software Assurance.
Thank you and have a wonderful day,
Eric Ligman – Follow me on
Global Partner Experience Lead
Microsoft Worldwide Partner Group
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights