The time has come and SQL Server 2008 just released to manufacturing yesterday. SQL Server 2008 provides powerful new capabilities such as support for policy-based management, auditing, large-scale data warehousing, geospatial data, and advanced reporting and analysis services – resulting in the trusted, productive and intelligent platform necessary for business-critical applications.
With this exciting announcement, I also want to share some information and resources for you as you start to look to SQL Server 2008 for your client’s and your businesses:
TechNet Magazine recently published an overview of the key changes and what you can expect from SQL Server 2008. You can also get a rundown of the various Editions and Components of SQL Server 2008 and take part in SQL Server 2008 Tutorials.
An Overview of SQL Server 2008 installation will help you get started with your deployments. You can also find guidance for Upgrading to SQL Server 2008 or Migrating to SQL Server 2008. And if you are upgrading, be sure to check out Using Upgrade Advisor to Prepare For Upgrades.
From the August edition of TechNet Magazine, here are answers to your SQL Server questions, showing you how to perform consistency checks, how to handle an accidental upgrade, and more in the SQL Q&A column.
Finally, you can easily find local partners offering SQL Server 2008 solutions, find training partners near you offering official Microsoft courses on SQL Server 2008, as well as attend local in-person events and online webcasts on SQL Server 2008.
Here are some key dates around SQL Server 2008 for you to note as well:
- Aug 6 – SQL Server 2008 RTM
- Aug 6 – Public RTM Announcements for SQL Server 2008; Aug 6 – TechNet Subscription & MSDN Subscription full product available for SQL Server 2008
- Aug 7 – TechNet & MSDN SQL Server 2008 trials available
- Aug 7 – How To Buy page updated with SQL Server 2008 info
- Aug 7 – SQL Server 2008 Feature Pack available
- Aug 11 – SQL Server 2008 Express download available
- Aug 21 – SQL Server 2008 Volume Licensing SKUs available
- Aug 25 – SQL Server 2008 Express with Advanced Services and Tools available
Thank you and have a wonderful day,
Microsoft Senior Manager, Community Engagement
US Partner Strategy, Marketing and Programs
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights