Big news: Open Value Subscription launching in the U.S. and Canada!

Attention Microsoft Partners, it’s the first day of the New Year and it’s time for the first breaking news announcement of 2008… We are thrilled to announce that on March 3rd, 2008, Microsoft will be launching the Microsoft Open Value Subscription Program in both the U.S. and Canada.  This is an exciting new offering for SMB Partners and customers in these countries!  Based on feedback and input we have received from customers and Partners alike, this new offering is one that will offer a solution sought after by many in the SMB segment.  In our ongoing efforts to bring solutions and offerings to the market to help our Partners and clients get the most from their investment in Microsoft technologies, as well as providing additional ways to acquire this technology affordably through benefits like spread payments in Open Value or budget assistance through Microsoft Financing, the Microsoft Open Value Subscription Program is another step down this path.

imageThe Microsoft Open Value Subscription Program provides a way for SMB customers to “subscribe” to the Microsoft software they want to utilize in their businesses in a “lease-like” fashion. This option provides the up-front cost-saving benefits of a lease-type model (no, it’s not an actual lease) where they can pay to use the software for a set period of time with the flexibility to increase or decrease in size as their business size does year over year. At the end of the initial term, clients have the options to continue the subscription, buy out the subscription to own the licenses, or to end the subscription. In addition, your clients may be eligible to receive significant savings and price benefits at the time they enter into a Microsoft Open Value Subscription Agreement if they own current versions or one version prior to current versions of Microsoft software already!

To make things even better, because the Open Value Subscription program is part of the Open Value structure, every reseller out there will be able to offer Open Value Subscription to their clients through the same Volume Licensing Distributors you use currently, just like with the current Open Value Program offerings available today! So there will be no additional hurdles to navigate or hoops to jump through to offer this to your clients upon its release. You will just need to ensure you understand how it works and how to use these Agreements for your clients so you can help them decide if Open Value Subscription is the right option for them to use.

In order to help you, our Microsoft Partners, understand and prepare for what the Open Value Subscription Program is, how it works, how you and your clients can use this program and more, I will be conducting several “Partner Introduction to the NEW Microsoft Open Value Subscription Program” Microsoft Live Meeting sessions for you to attend in preparation for March 3rd. You can view details of these and register to attend at the link below:

I intentionally scheduled these on varying days and at different times (except the first two) to accommodate more of your schedules to allow you to attend these sessions.  Each of these sessions will also be recorded for viewing afterwards; however, the live Q&A sessions will only take place during the live presentations of these sessions.  I look forward to speaking with you at these sessions and building a great 2008 together!

NOTE: Some related posts added after initial post:

·         Open Value Subscription – How is it purchased?

·         Is Microsoft moving to direct billing for Open Value Subscription?

Thank you and have a wonderful New Year’s Day,

Eric Ligman
Microsoft US Senior Manager
Small Business Community Engagement
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights

Digg ThisStumble This Add to Technorati Favorites

1. scrawforditm says:

Eric this is exciting news.  I look forward to learning more about how we can bring the value to our small business clients.  I will be attending one of the webinars listed in your posting.

My very best to you on this New Year’s Day

Stuart

2. Did you see this post at blogs.msdn.com

3. We do not build or manufacture or produce products per se. No, we resell, we add-value, we source, whatever

4. nickwhit says:

That’s great…

But how about allowing European companies like mine to order for my American customers!

Select agreement is too big for my customer, and OVS does not allow out of area purchases..

Feel free to email me if I am being given wrong information!

Nick Whittome

5. Mark says:

We’ve had OVSL here in the UK for several years now… we operate exclusively in the SMB space and have pushed this licensing model heavily in the last 12-18 months in particular.

It has both pro’s and con’s (What doesnt)…

From a pro perspective it enables clients to budget, to plan and manage costs more effectively, to avoid the 3 yearly capital expenditure ‘bump’. It enables you as the outsourced IT dept to use deploy the latest software to your client using Volumn Licenses and all the nice tools that go with that.

From a ‘con’ perspective… it is expensive I think.. given the potential long term buy in of this model it is appalling that Microsoft give you virtually no discount vs other llicensing models. The renewals process whilst generous (you can buy 10 core cals and add 10 PC’s a week later but not pay for them until next year) is onerous. And finally the backend distributor support for this model is still weak.

Overall we personally like it, I discuss it with every new client, and I would think that 80% end up using it. I just wish MS would be more realistic in pitching it.

6. In my New Year’s Day post, “ Big news: Open Value Subscription launching in the U.S. and

7. In my New Year’s Day post, “ Big news: Open Value Subscription launching in the U.S. and

8. Another follow-up question to my “ Big news: Open Value Subscription launching in the U.S. and Canada!

9. Another follow-up question to my “ Big news: Open Value Subscription launching in the U.S. and Canada

10. ibiz says:

Eric,

Will Dynamics CRM be available under this program?

Jerry

11. mssmallbiz says:

@ Jerry – The final OVS pricelist will be published in February, so we’ll know with 100% certainty then; however, based on what I have seen to date, I am pretty confident that Dynamics CRM will be included in OVS.

12. Status says:

It would be more convenient if they would just start labeling them that way themselves: "Microsoft Bend Over and Scream For Us Licensing Value Plan" for instance. "Now With Extra Value" they could say to spice it up for the press release. Alas, it’s

13. In last week’s “ Partner Introduction to the NEW Microsoft Open Value Subscription Program

14. In last week’s “ Partner Introduction to the NEW Microsoft Open Value Subscription Program

15. One very hot topic that’s been spurring many conversations so far since my, “ Big news: Open

16. One very hot topic that’s been spurring many conversations so far since my, “ Big news: Open

17. For those of you who did not see the announcement this morning in the Microsoft Partner Newsletter, the

18. For several weeks now, I have been posting about the “Big Easy” offer that we just launched on Friday

19. With the new Open Value Subscription program, one of the requirements is that the initial Agreement order

20. Since shortly after the initial announcement of the upcoming launch of Open Value Subscription, there

21. With the announcement of the upcoming launch of Open Value Subscription, I have had a few Partners ask

22. With the announcement of the upcoming launch of Open Value Subscription, I have had a few Partners ask

23. Recently, I was asked by a Partner what the difference between perpetual and non-perpetual licensing

24. With the announcement of the upcoming launch of Open Value Subscription, there is now a non-perpetual

25. In the new Microsoft Open Value Subscription Program, there are three groups of product offerings available

26. A benefit unique to the new Open Value Subscription Program , is the annual true-up and true-down feature

27. A benefit unique to the new Open Value Subscription Program , is the annual true-up and true-down feature.

28. What if I told you that you could get Microsoft Office Professional Plus for just 25¢* per day, which

29. What if I told you that you could get Microsoft Office Professional Plus for just 25¢* per day, which

30. Just under eight weeks ago, my “ Big news: Open Value Subscription launching in the U.S. and Canada!

31. Just under eight weeks ago, my “ Big news: Open Value Subscription launching in the U.S. and Canada!

32. Back on February 1 st , the Big Easy promotion went into effect, offering Partner subsidy rebate checks

33. Back on February 1 st , the Big Easy promotion went into effect, offering Partner subsidy rebate checks

34. You know the sayings, “Put your money where your mouth is,” and “time is money.” Well, I’m offering up

35. You know the sayings, “Put your money where your mouth is,” and “time is money.” Well, I’m offering up

36. This is a repost of a Blog is from Eric Ligman's MSSmallBiz Blog. http://blogs.msdn.com/mssmallbiz

37. For several weeks now, I have been posting about the “Big Easy” offer that we just launched on Friday

38. With the new Open Value Subscription program, one of the requirements is that the initial Agreement order

39. Ever since the announcement of the launch of Open Value Subscription here in the US, there has been a

40. Since shortly after the initial announcement of the upcoming launch of Open Value Subscription, there