Here is a collection of several of the questions we received during the
1) Can you install pieces of
a. ANSWER: No, you cannot split the server components of an
2) If I have
a. ANSWER: If you have an
3) Does 5 User
a. ANSWER: No, there is no concurrent usage of
4) The speaker mentioned this 4 fasttrack webcast are available on demand… is that correct..if so what id the link?
a. ANSWER: If you have not attended these sessions yet, be sure to go to: http://www.msreadiness.com and search for “Fast Track” to register for the 4 different tracks we are offering in the series or view the already recorded sessions from last week or this week.
5) When someone buys OEM licenses, then adds SA to that purchase – is that transferable if the PC dies or is upgraded?
a. ANSWER: If you add Software Assurance to an OEM Server or OEM Office license within 90 days of purchase, then the OEM Server or OEM Office license is transferable with the Software Assurance to a new PC. If you add Software Assurance to an OEM Windows license within 90 days, the Software Assurance is transferable to a new PC; however, the OEM Windows license is NEVER transferable to a new PC. If you do not add Software Assurance to your OEM Server or Office licenses within 90 days, then they remain OEM licenses and cannot be transferred to a new PC. You can find this on slide #40 from today’s Session #3
6) Do the volume licenses apply to upgrades only or can you put volume licenses on new computers? It was our understanding that volume licenses were for upgrade use only.
a. ANSWER: You can purchase full Server and Office licenses through Volume License for your PCs and servers. The only item you cannot purchase a full license for through Volume Licensing is your Windows Desktop Operating System which there are only Upgrades available for through Volume Licensing. The only way to purchase a full Windows Desktop Operating System is OEM with a new PC or via Retail Box.
7) Under Open Business and Open Value…do you own the license rights to the product in perpetuity…ie after the 2 or 3 years of the program?
a. ANSWER: Yes, licenses purchased through Open Business and Open Value are perpetual licenses and do not expire. The only things that expire at the end of the 2 or 3 year terms are your Software Assurance benefits which you can choose to renew when they expire. You can also find this answer in Question #5 of “The 30 in 30” series we posted.
8) Can customers sign up for Open Value when using
a. ANSWER: ABSOLUTELY! Yes, you can definitely use
9) Who does the customer pay for Open Value? Do I have to collect payments?
a. ANSWER: You purchase the Year 1 SKU through your distributor (i.e.
10) What is the best licensing choice for a 501(c)3 not for profit? They use techsoup.
a. ANSWER: The Open License Charity Program is designed for 501(c)3 organizations. If you are not already an Open License Charity provider (no, we are not taking any applications for new ones), then Techsoup is a very good provider to help them facilitate their needs. You could also contact one of the Authorized Open License Charity providers listed on the Open License Charity Program web page to see about partnering with them.
11) Is it only Office Pro for the Home use benefits of Software Assurance, or any version?
a. The Home Use Rights benefit of Software Assurance provides a license of Office Professional for use at home. You could install just the components of Pro if you only wanted Word or Excel for instance. You can find out more that the Home Use Software Assurance Benefits website.
12) As a small shop, I don’t have a lot of time to spend figuring out which of these many options is right for each customer (let alone, keeping up with program changes!). Is there a resource I can use where I can tell someone the customer’s scenario and they can tell me which option would be right?
a. ANSWER: You should leverage the
13) If they allow their SA to lapse, can they still transfer the license to new hardware?
a. ANSWER: Yes, they still have the Volume Licensing rights, which include transfer rights. They would just lose their Software Assurance benefits.
14) How many years can you renew the SA benefits on an Open Value purchase?
a. ANSWER: The Open Value Program is a 3 Year program, so you would renew your Software Assurance benefits for three years.
15) We still have not seen this Small Business Desktop Kit and yes we are SBSC, who do we call?
a. ANSWER: You can access the Small Business Desktop Sales Kit online on the Small Business Specialist Exclusive website or go to the Small Business Specialist Exclusive website and click the “Contact us” button to send them your information to let them know you did not receive it.
16) If a company already has an open license, sold by a different vendor, can they purchase additional licenses from my company?
a. ANSWER: Yes, you would need to provide the Open License Authorization # to the distributor at time of purchase so they know to add the licenses to that Agreement.
17) Is some kind of licensing tool built into the
a. ANSWER: No, there is not currently a licensing component built into the
18) Is there an option to do the Small Business Desktop without
a. ANSWER: You can do an Open Value Company-wide Agreement for just the Office Small Business Edition or just the Windows XP Pro Upgrade; however, because of the price discounts built into the Small Business Desktop Advantage, it costs less to purchase the Small Business Desktop Advantage with the
19) When utilizing the transition pack to get e