After reading my first “Why would I order part# T72-00020? (SBS 2003 Server Retail Box)” post, an astute channel partner asked a follow-up question I thought warranted a follow-up post. Here was the follow-up question:
“After reading your ‘Why would I order part# T72-00020?’ post, I got to thinking. Based on the case presented, wouldn’t it be a logical conclusion that the same could be said for the other items in the Retail Box column?”
ANSWER: Yes. The same case could be made for the SBS Premium, 5-pack CALs, and 20-pack CALs. For each of these items, you could order the Open License SKU instead of the Retail Box SKU, get the lower pricing, and provide the more comprehensive Open License EULA for your customers. So the same question would be appropriate, “Why would you order the Retail Box (SBS Premium Server or 5 Pack CALs or 20 Pack CALs) SKU for your customer?” You should always use the Open License SKU instead.
Here are the substitutions referenced above:
- Instead of ordering Part # T75-00035 for $1,499, you should order Part # T75-00193 for $1,298.
- Instead of ordering Part # T74-00001 for $489, you should order Part # T74-00245 for $460.
- Instead of ordering Part # T74-00002 for $489, you should order Part # T74-00192 for $460.
- Instead of ordering Part # T74-00003 for $1,929, you should order Part # T74-00137 for $1,841.
- Instead of ordering Part # T74-00004 for $1,929, you should order Part # T74-00084 for $1,841.
Also keep in mind, it your customers are interested in receiving: 3-years of Upgrade Protection, the ability to spread the cost of the software over three-years instead of paying up front, Extended life-cycle hot-fix support, Cold backup for disaster recovery rights, TechNet Online Concierge Chat, and eLearning courses, ask your distributor for the Open License Value SKUs to use for these items.
Thank you and have a wonderful day,
Microsoft U.S. Senior Manager
Small Business Community Engagement