Embrace the new .NET Logo!

Our team decided a while back to bring a fresh new look to the .NET logo, given the old was in need of a refresh to suit our future product positioning (I’ve been staring at this for a few weeks now and it’s totally grown on me).

image

Why did we do it?

We needed a logo that was in sync with the key values that we want .NET to stand for: consistency, robustness and great user experiences. We also wanted a logo that conformed to the design principles that are driving Microsoft’s brand identity evolution and is reflected in newer brands such as Silverlight, Surface and more.  Finally, we needed a logo that is more strongly aligned with the portfolio of brands that .NET is most strongly aligned with: Silverlight, Visual Studio and the AppPlat server products.

The result is a design we refer to as the “wave.”  The design is strong, simple and distinctive. The suggestion of the letter ‘N’ in the design will become instantly recognizable over time as shorthand for the .NET brand name.

It’s one of many things we’re actively doing to renew our commitment to the future around the overall Rich Platforms we have today.

Hope all have fun at PDC2008 and you’ll see glimpses of what I mean there 😉

Onwards and embrace the new .NET logo!

1. PQ says:

"It’s grown on you"? I know the original wasn’t exactly a poster child for good graphic design but this is….awful.

2. I actually like the logo but I think it fails to do what you describe.  To me, it looks like things are all getting out of synch.  IF you’re lucky I can make a video making fun of it.

3. grnemo says:

Very nice concept!!!! Congratulations!!! Another success for the creative team 😀

4. About time we get something new to stare at 😉

Looking good.

Cheers

5. Steve says:

I don’t think it needed a change.

The new design of it looks horrible imo

6. is this the new official ,net logo or just a idea of what the .net logo could look like ??

7. Andy says:

It’s got to be said, I’m not too keen on the new logo, though I’m not 100% sure why. I think it’s because the text looks unbalanced and the wave too flat, but then I’m not sure if correcting them would make it look better either.

Probably too late now but I would have loved to have seen a version with a shorter, thicker lined .NET and a shorter wave, possibly curving the edges a bit more to give more of an impression of movement.

8. P says:

Actually dilbert (on dilbert.com) was working on logo too (for his project). Coincidence?

ps he wasn’t so succesful though…

9. P says:

ps he wasn’t so succesful though…

10. James says:

I like the the general look of the logo. There’s something about the number of colors though that I find odd.

11. Ahmad Sheikh says:

I’ll simply say this is creative, distinct and awesome but one thing i didn’t digest that the letter ‘N’ only will be used as shorthand for the .Net in future

12. Andrew says:

It’s a big improvement over the original (that thing was woeful). I like the idea, but it looks disproportionate. That said, it’s in keeping SL / new SQL Server logo / Azure stuff, so keeping all those married together is more important.

Overall, nice work.

13. Hey Scott – i love it…

regardless of what people have said i actually think it does sync very well with the silverlight logo (and whatever else might  come in the "near" future).

I can see the "N" being the logo that’ll be used overall, without "Microsoft .Net" applied to it – give it time guys, eventually it’ll grow on you and you’ll be associating it with the framework 🙂

Scott, out of curiosity, was it a team collaboration or can we give credit to an individual for the "winning" logo? if so, who’s the designer that came up with it?

14. Ian says:

But i cant seem to find a download of the logo in HIGH RES format i.e. Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop or similar..

Yes if you click on the logo it shows you it in PNG format but it seems rather small… and the quality doesn’t seem to be right…

Can you post a download link to a an high res version or in a vector graphic format??

and update this post so we all know…??

15. chaiguy1337 says:

This is not something you can proudly stick on a box or a web page. It’s too cumbersome and there’s not enough to it. It’s basically just a too-wide N on a slant.

It’s better than the old one, but not by a whole heck of a lot.

16. Nguyen Cao Bao says:

I think the new logo like this is not a good idea. If it’s possible, please give another better.

17. Pete says:

I think for me the problem with the logo, and please take this as constructive, is the top left corner of the "N". I can see that theres some overlay effect on the ribbon or something that causes an overlap to appear light instead of dark or something but it makes it look like the ribbon is broken in that area and gives the design a kind of fractured feel. I think if you kept that little triangle dark instead of light the design would flow a little better and look more solid. IMHO

18. Robert Lair says:

I like that it is more in sync with the Silverlight logo as well.  Now get on the VS team to redesign the Visual Studio logo.  It is overdue for a new logo. Just because it looks like the infinity sign doesn’t mean it should last forever.  🙂

19. DL says:

I didn’t realize i was looking at the letter ‘N’ at first…looks more like a Slash V. Maybe if it wasn’t so wide it would look better. that’s just my 2 cents.

20. Vishnu says:

The logo looks like a logical extension of Silverlight. Not too sure how well it will integrate with Surface?

Nevertheless, looks quite simple and striking.

21. Eric Swanson says:

Is it a logo or a graphic? It deviates from "traditional" logos in so many ways that it is extremely difficult for me to accept it beyond a nice looking graphic. There are so many fantastic and creative ways to "say .NET" in a logo, that a swooshy blue N doesn’t do it for me. You can do better! So, please do! 🙂 "Embrace the new logo" must mean it’s too late… FYI: The logo should support the ".NET" brand and not repeat something already in the logo’s title; the "N".  N.Net? Ooh! Like…… um…. "New.Net" LOL  Okay, I get it now. 😉

22. Kerlin says:

The best way for a logo is to create with a innovative through and plan with well design with some good effect and if this is related to .net then some application development looks should be there.

23. Jibran Khan says:

Two things:

1- I dont like it

2- last one was better

looks like the logo of a production house (media).

24. Cezar says:

I don’t care about the logo at all…… Why should I?

25. Lance Fisher says:

I really like this logo!  I’d like to get a sticker to put on my MacBook Pro 🙂  Do you know where I could find one?  Ideally, clear background and just the blue wave.  I could print them myself if I had an .ai file or something.  You can email me at lance dot fisher at gmail.  Thanks!

26. scbarnes says:

Wow..

Mixed reaction but in a good and bad way..