Adobe AIR + .NET Proxy – Concerns arise.

I read the post of both Ryan Stewart and Mike "Mesh" Chambers on a bold plan to connect Adobe AIR with a .NET Proxy (Proof of concept anyway). At first It was a great story and I for one was thinking to myself "hey this could be a sweet approach"..

However, the more I thought about it, the more I wanted to validate some concerns I had. I approached some of our .NET folks with it and this was their response:

"…I’d be afraid of encouraging developers to do this, and what the platform would be like if many applications on it did something like this…"

There were other parts to this, but suffice to say the underlying point is that one could do this via web proxy (whilst slow) and remain in a more safe position.

image

I don’t know why AIR isn’t looking to open its borders to native OS and it kind of illustrates the elephant in the room, in that when you go X-Platform with one bundle of code, something has to be left on the table. Native access to the operating system is one of these, and if any desktop platform is likely to succeed beyond a "Look ma, I just turned Flash into a desktop experience" then it’s got to be more serious, focus on security (critically important) and ensure real world solutions can be built. In that, eBay AIR application has had no apparent success beyond its launch and furthermore not really sure what unique value AIR offers in this case either other then offline… but who uses eBay offline?

I’d like to think we know a thing or two about .NET and its implications in the wrong hands. I think what Mike is doing is great in terms of approach and concept, but lacks execution (from what I’ve read). I only state this as we have a habit of being labeled the bad guys when something goes wrong .NET related, and wanted to clear the air (no pun intended).

As people move to full trust on the desktop they open an entirely new set of complex security challenges. It’s something not to take lightly but has to be respected.

I think AIR needs to focus more energy in the space of allowing folks the ability to talk back and forth on the native operating system it’s deployed, as this will ensure a much more secure transaction (if done correctly, this is rocket science in many ways) vs. Proxies (probably also why Adobe won’t support this proxy).

Just my 2c.

Note: Red Stickers were provided by design-police.org.

1. Matt Voerman says:

Scott, Scott, Scott – good to see you still stiring the pot! But i’m afraid i’m giving you a "F" for reading and comprehension of Mike’s post

You mention "I don’t know why AIR isn’t looking to open its borders to native OS" – Mikes opening sentence answers that in stating that its one of the "Two of the most requested features"

You say – "I think AIR needs to focus more energy in the space of allowing folks the ability to talk back and forth on the native operating system" – yet if you read Mike’s third para you’ll see "Note, this project is in no way supported by Adobe. "

SIT UP STRAIGHT, AND PAY ATTENTION BARNES OR ITS OFF TO THE HEADMASTERS OFFICE FOR YOU! 😉

2. scbarnes says:

*sigh*

I do declare your response Matt@Adobe as being: "Ad_hominem"

"An ad hominem argument, also known as argumentum ad hominem (Latin: "argument to the man", "argument against the man") consists of replying to an argument or factual claim by attacking or appealing to a characteristic or belief of the person making the argument or claim, rather than by addressing the substance of the argument or producing evidence against the claim. The process of proving or disproving the claim is thereby subverted, and the argumentum ad hominem works to change the subject."

With that i’ll leave the response alone.

3. mike chambers says:

As was pointed out in my original post. This is a proof of concept and nothing more.

That is why there are no binaries provided, and no samples / examples available for download….

mike chambers

mesh@adobe.com

4. scbarnes says:

Hi Mike:

Correct, I did state in the first paragraph that it was a Proof of Concept.

Scott / Microsoft.

5. John Dowdell says:

An "ad hominem" argument would actually be something like "Don’t listen to Scott, because he can’t speak English."

Here Matt actually addressed suppositions and statements in your essay, so his argument was "ad rem", even though it contained some personal comments. Matter of fact, your own rejoinder was more to-the-person than to-the-facts.

(btw, your bio could be read as stating that you were employed by Allaire et alia, instead of being an independent developer who used Adobe technologies.)

jd/adobe

6. Ryan Stewart says:

I don’t really see where you’ve given a reason why this is a bad approach. You’ve got a quote from people saying they wouldn’t encourage developers to do this but you don’t spend any time explaining that. You just talk about what AIR doesn’t do right now and then offer vague references to security.

I don’t know much about .NET security, so I’m asking out of curiosity, what makes this a bad solution?

=Ryan

rstewart@adobe.com

7. I was going to ask the same question Ryan did.  Can you go into details on why this is a bad solution?  What are the security implications?

With response to Matt Voerman’s post, I can only conclude that he mis-read the words he quoted

To quote this paragraph from him:

[Start Quote]

[End quote]

I suspect that he read the quoted statement as "I don’t know why AIR *IS* looking to open its borders…"  In which case his response (because people request it) makes sense.

And if you never worked for Allaire / Macromedia / or Adobe; as John Dowell suggested; you should change the wording on your bio.  Instead of an "Adobe/Macromedia/Allaire" developer, you might say "I’ve been a developer of "Adobe/Macromedia/Allaire" Technologies.  Or you might say use "customer" instead of developer.

8. scbarnes says:

decided to "AIR" this conversation in a more focused thread as i think a couple of you folks have raised some good concerns and I should clarify it more.

9. Alan Lewis says:

Um, hi, I’m the product manager of the eBay product that you kinda trashed. All you had to do was email me (its on my blog) to find the answer to your question: "In that, eBay AIR application has had no apparent success beyond its launch and furthermore not really sure what unique value AIR offers in this case either other then offline… but who uses eBay offline?"

1. eBay Desktop is in beta, and unlike phony web application "betas" that are meant to drive marketing exposure, we are using ours to gather user feedback and test things. Because we haven’t advertised the release heavily (you can’t find it on http://www.ebay.com unless you know where to look really hard) we have a user community right now that understands what it means to beta test software, and will put up with hiccups.

I should also remind you that AIR is not yet 1.0, and we would not release a 1.0 version of eBay Desktop until it is.

2. Have you even tried eBay Desktop? If you did (the beta is free, so you really don’t have an excuse) you would know that offline functionality is NOT the reason we are using AIR. The main reason, as is plain to see, is that by not being in the web browser we can provide a richer, simpler, all around better user experience. Period. With rare exception, we will not even consider developing any new desktop application on a platform that only supports one operating system. Why? Because our users demand better than that. The capabilities that are provided by AIR with the 1.0 version are more than enough to build what our own users have already told us, is a better version of eBay. What more validation do you need?

3. As other commenters have already noted – the .NET proxy example is a proof of concept. As an evangelist, you should know that something created by evangelist, is something that is meant to explore an idea, and there is a clear difference between that a finished product that has a corporate stamp of approval and books you can buy in the bookstore telling you how you should build your system using this big-company-approved architecture. No – it is just an example.

And besides, this is an example that Adobe employees, who have all the reason in the world to avoid interacting your employer like the plague, developing an example that shows developers in YOUR community 1 way to interact with YOUR technology. And this is the treatment they get? What kind of evangelist are you?

As an aside, I would probably also be willing to heap scorn on the ".NET architects" who gave you your jumping off point too. I’d ask them – "hey guys, so did your opinions about this architecture come from seeing it in action with actual developers solving customer problems, or did it come from your brain where the abstract idea didn’t quite fit with your worldview of how things are SUPPOSED to work?" I can guess what the answer is. See, I can be nasty to non-evangelists too.

If you don’t trust the opinion of anyone outside of Microsoft, I suggest you have a nice chat with Brian Goldfarb (you know, the product manager for Silverlight and an all around informed and thoughtful guy). He has seen eBay Desktop and he "gets it." You, scbarnes, do not.

Alan Lewis

Product Manager, eBay Desktop

10. "when you go X-Platform with one bundle of code, something has to be left on the table. Native access to the operating system is one of these"

Whuh ? There is no ‘has’ about it. The ‘X-Platform’ ColdFusion server, for instance, is Java based, runs on Macs, Linux and Windows, and has a ‘cfexecute’ feature that allowes running native commands.

11. scbarnes says:

Tom,

Correct. Yet AIR isn’t a server-side solution, it’s a client-side solution. Different contexts apply. Security is the goal, provide a runtime experience similiar to native client(s) but within a sandboxed security, thus something’s got to give… It’s essentially putting lipstick on the pig imho.