At times I wonder…

image They say a picture speaks a thousands words. In this case, I find it tongue in cheek that Adobe’s CEO Bruce Chizen got up on stage, labeled Microsoft as a "monopoly" in one breath, then talked about how great the Adobe products in another whilst doing so on Windows Vista.

I also wonder at how much market share was replenished by Adobe CS2 to Adobe CS3 due to the Windows Vista’s existence? or for that matter how much of the Adobe CS3 market is made up of Windows Vista.

Does this not validate Windows Presentation Foundation’s (WPF) potential even further?

Sadly, I know the tone of this post is a little tongue in cheek counter argument to the Adobe’s top boss but it’s really disappointing to see that attitude (at that level) as it must send mixed signals to the folks below him.

I at times get feedback "take the high road with Adobe Scott".. yet I wonder if that road is available?

You can watch the keynote here and judge for yourself:

"…When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things.."

Picture was made with Adobe Photoshop CS3 & Windows Vista Snippet Tool running on an Apple iMAC (VMWare Fusion) and filed under "Brand Politics". I am never one brand, I just work for one.

1. James Ward says:

Hi Scott,

I was actually the one doing the demos.  I demo’d on a Windows Tablet, a Mac Powerbook, and a Windows laptop.  I would have liked to also do a demo from my Linux box but you can just never be sure that plugging into the projector is actually going to work.  🙂

I think Bruce was referring to fact that Microsoft is a <a href="">convicted monopolist</a>.  But I don’t see how that fact precludes us from using and demoing on Windows.

2. Tariq Ahmed says:

But what if Bruce was saying "Microsoft is a monopoly in their space, and we aspire to be monopoly in ours, because monopolies are super dope cool."

MSFT does have a monopoly in many areas – but who’s saying that’s a bad thing?

3. Garry Trinder says:

Nice demo btw, I really liked what I saw in the demos, as for me that was what gets me drooling at times with Flex (so much potential, yet unexplored).

I got the message etc, but *shrug* i think it’s easy to point the finger at Microsoft and denounce us vs take ownership for the notion that without Microsoft Adobe would have a less of a compelling story to tell.

Take into consideration Adobe CS product positioning (ie 20% increase and only works on Vista / OSX?), Flash Players history etc.. just seems hypocritical to say it outloud..

People have a choice today, i write this on an iMac via Safari? I get more productivity gains in Windows Vista then I do on Apple. Game developers swing more towards Windows Vista and XBOX then any other platform, why? well it’s simply the conumers made a decision and to now sort of rail against that at that level -… somethings better left unsaid.

4. Kevin Daly says:

It’s actually a bit rich Adobe calling anybody else a monopoly, considering the hissyfit they had over SaveAsPDF (and even XPS) in Office 2007.

PDF is an open standard unless Microsoft want to use it, and it is apparently not permissible to even attempt to compete with it.

5. KK says:

I hope someone from Adobe is listening.  I think Flex is a great product & can go places.  But I think if Adobe made it work well with .Net they could see there sales of Flex double.  They seem so hung up on being anti-Microsoft that they are losing some much opportunities.

6. Mike says:

Someone will chime in and say that flex does work with .NET and that is true if you cripple your domain model in .NET. Been down this road and it’s a painful one.

The problem with FLEX is ACTIONSCRIPT, it’s 2007 and they don’t support enum, nested classes. Not to mention the IDE and the huge file sizes for the simplest of tasks.

I will stick with Silverlight, how about some UI controls guys?

7. Don Burnett says:

The monopoly argument doesn’t hold water with me for two reasons. One, people choose to buy a product. That’s their personal choice. Why? because it fullfills a need. If they don’t like that product and US history is full of products that got ignored or went on unpurchased because the consumer was unhappy with the producer. It’s not even a competition thing, if the product isn’t good it doesn’t sell period. There are many examples of one product that flooded the market with no competition that didn’t stay around.

I don’t think  either company is really encroaching into the other’s space. In fact I rarely see someone who does Adobe work at any .NET development thing at all. Or the .NET folks at Adobe things (except for maybe yearly conferences).

I do agree that the comments made by the CEO maybe unfortunate, but I believe there is enough differentiation that it’s not a problem for consumers or the public. People will buy Adobe and Microsoft products in the "space" for different reasons.

Either way I believe both companies have the right to move forward in any direction they please to..

8. Prima di sparare … (Vista, Adobe etc.)

9. Ritengo questo post molto significativo: They say a picture speaks a thousands words. In this case, I

10. #KK says:

UI controls is the only reason Silverlight is no use at present for creating Web Apps.  How many Enterprise Wb Apps do you see with fancy animation & video. None!!  Do you see any useful UI controls in Silverlight.  None!! Hope this equation changes soon. (By the way don’t mention Silverlight 1.1.  That too is little use at present & it’s still Alpha)

Scott:  Adobe has one up on you!!

11. Garry Trinder says:

RE: Flex + .NET,

When Macromedia/Adobe abandoned .NET Remoting in Flash, a lot of people got annoyed. Thus the brilliance of Mark Pillar (WebOrb) built a quite smart solution around this problem. Mark’s been doing some amazing things with this niche market, and i often wonder at what Adobe could do with Mark and his company should they put away the brand politics and focus on the job at hand. Developer Satisfaction.

12. No doubt you’ve seen the Prism announcement by Mozilla. Quite an interesting move in this chess game