Silverlight or Flash, pick now or else!

No! is the right answer, as you don’t have to be one or the other you can be both. I’m reading a lot of fear related blog posts as of late around Silverlight and wonder as to how this got to the state it’s in?

You don’t have to be so narrow minded about it, as FLASH and AJAX co-exist, why can’t Silverlight? Laszlo and Flex co-exist? anyway, I think if you ignore the “Flash Killer” speeches and opinions and instead keep this in mind, you’ll be fine going forward!

Keep moving forward.

1. Ross says:

And if "No" is an unacceptable answer, as it sometimes is, then the only valid answer is Flash.  At least until Silverlight reaches the same level of saturation – which has taken MM/Adobe a very long time – of course they couldn’t have slipped it into a security update 🙂

2. Tim O'Hare says:

Scott,

I agree that some devoted Flash developers are seeing this as a "Flash Killer" and are being "narrow minded", but my post at Lane4Interactive was more geared around "Why am I being asked to switch?" Why do business owners care and why do they have such a need for me to look into and possibly learn Silverlight? Most of them don’t know and shouldn’t care about the differences between XAML, MXML, HTML, XML or XHTML and probably don’t know what the ML stands for. So why with all this hype is it so important for me to "look into it" and why do I have to keep fighting battles on the technology I choose as a developer that will drive the application and satisfy its goals? My opinion is because Flash has always been a bad word and Silverlight hit one major buzzword for content providers, DRM. Most don’t really know what it is or how the would use it, but they think they need it for their content. It doesn’t matter how many times you explain that video streamed from an FMS is never downloaded to the users desktop. Yes I guess there is a way around anything even Windows Media DRM. Heck, I can setup a video camera at my computer as the video plays and now I have my own copy. Not ideal, but at least I have the content. Without going to far off course I want to bring this back and say, "Yes, you are right." They can co-exist just as all technologies do within our industry. What makes Silverlight so compelling that those who sign my paychecks think I need to switch and learn?

Thanks,

Tim

3. Garry Trinder says:

Tim,

Simple, why should folks switch from Internet Explorer to say Firefox? Awarness is usually the motivator "You mean I can use something else other than IE? cool, where do I get it".

Everyone has choice, DRM may annoy some much like I hate the fact XBOX360 doesn’t support DivX – yet I understand why. Business is a funny motivator at times, but overall Silverlight will get traction – that I really have no doubt. This is the long haul, not short and it’s not going to be an overnight success.

Choice will come sooner or later, I’d rather folks ignore the politics, download the bits post MIX07, take it for a test-spin and get involved with it earlier than later as this could be a point of difference for some agencies around the globe?

Can’t hurt right?

– Scott.

4. Tim O'Hare says:

Scott,

You put up a good argument. No, it can’t hurt, I just wish there were more hours in the day.

If possible please post some points where I would want to use Silverlight over anything else or why Silverlight is my only option. This could help Flash Developers like myself focus on these areas first when taking the product for a spin. After all, do I really need to drive a different color Acura to see if I like it. I want to drive one that has features that my model doesn’t. I also understand that there may be areas where Silverlight offers a better framework and speed of development; please mention these as well.

I look forward to the Beta and the samples that follow.

Thanks again,

Tim

5. Garry Trinder says:

Tim,

Yup, I’ll do that once it’s released 🙂 I can’t do much atm as we are still in pre-Release phase heh.

6. Thomas says:

Because Silverlight can only be developed successfully using the windows os

7. Didi says:

Tim,

Well you could use Silverlight (now!) for a cms system or a backoffice of some sort. That’s where I think Silverlight is better and doesn’t put enough attention to. Because Silverlight can be programmed with C# and all that stuff.

I’m in an internship right now at a company who developes webshop. They assigned me to research Silverlight and point out the differences from Flash.

I think where Microsoft needs their attention is at the designers. The developers all like Silverlight because they don’t have to code the ‘horrible’ actionscript, they can stay with their oh so likable .NET framework.

But the designers (like myself) are not so happy with Silverlight and the Expression Studio. Does Microsoft really think I will trade in Illustrator from Adobe for Expression Design? No way! So give up your pride and make adobe products compatible with Expression Blend and make sure Expression Blend has all the features for animations that Flash has (or better!)

8. Garry Trinder says:

Didi,

We’re not asking you to give up your Adobe Tools, quite the opposite. Expression Studio is simply a bridging tool between your current workflow and our approach to Silverlight. The objective for us is to work hard at ensuring you are able to design in the tools you have chosen to design in, in order to produce Silverlight.

Skip to main content