Windows Server 2012, codenamed "Windows Server 8", is the sixth release of Windows Server. It is the server version of Windows 8 and succeeds Windows Server 2008 R2. Two pre-release versions, a developer preview and a beta version, were released during development. The software was generally available to customers starting on September 4, 2012.
In this easy step by step guide, we will learn how to install and activate Windows Server 2012.
Before you start make sure you have the minimum requirements to install Windows Server (Windows Server Requirements):
Processor: Minimum: 1.4 GHz 64-bit processor
Ram: Minimum: 512 MB
Disk Space: Minimum: 32 GB
- DVD drive
- Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher-resolution monitor
- Keyboard and Microsoft® mouse (or other compatible pointing device)
- Internet access
You can then download the evalution copy of Windows Server 2012 from here, Download the ISO and burn it to some DVD:
Now that we have everything we need, We can Start:
8- Now It will ask you for the drive (or partition) you want to install Windows on. Here I'm installing it on the one partition I have here. NOTE: This will remove the content of the partition. Either you create a partition to install windows on, or you can test this on a testing machine
11- The setup will finalize your settings, might take a couple of minutes
12- Once the setup is done, you can log in for the first time to your Windows Server, as the screen says, press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to log in, and use the password you set in the setup process
Congratulations! you have now Windows server 2012 Installed with Datacenter.
That wasn't hard, Where to go now?
- We have a great free video training (Windows Server 2012 Jump Start: Preparing for the Datacenter Evolution)
- Microsoft Virtual Academy, Great place to get a professional training and compete with other IT Pros from your country and around the world, Did I mention its FREE!
- Windows Server Certifications, Once you get the training you can test yourself by taking Windows Server exams, and gain a professional title, Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA), Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE) and Microsoft Certified Solutions Master (MCSM).