Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 RTM – some follow up

We see that everyone seems to be getting their bits and keys ok for Windows 7. Demand has been phenomenal, and WWW traffic overall today very high, so speeds may be a bit slower than you are used to.

There have been several follow up questions I thought I would address:

Windows Server 2008 R2 RTM will be released in a few weeks (English, Spanish, French, German, Japanese, Italian). At the same time, Windows 7 Client in French, Italian, German, Spanish, Japanese will be releasing.

Academic Alliance Administrators that have a Subscriptions account also have access to the bits and keys today. I believe the files have to be picked up and moved over to other AA systems though separate from the MSDN Subscriptions site. I think it is safe to assume they are working on that now.

Product Keys

There were eight product keys made available today. Different Subscriptions programs and levels have access to different keys potentially.

Released today:

• OEM key for Windows 7 Starter

• Retail keys for Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate, Home Basic, and Home Premium

• KMS and/or MAK keys for Windows 7 Enterprise. See Volume Activation Operations Guide

Hope that helps

1. Aug14Please says:

"Windows Server 2008 R2 RTM will be released in a few weeks"?

Is Aug 14 for MSDN availability still on track?

>> MSDN will post in English, French, German, Japanese, Italian, and Spanish on August 14th and will roll out the remaining languages starting August 21st.

2. JeffS says:

"Windows Server 2008 R2 RTM will be released in a few weeks"

It was previously announced to be available (in English) on August 14th.  Has that changed?

3. SubscriptionsBlogger2 says:

As far as I knew (until you pointed the link above out ), the specific date was not being publicized. Clearly I was wrong with that assumption.

4. Kietta says:

I installed the Windows Server 2008 R2 yesterday, then get activate today but failed due to invalid key.

I got that key + that Windows several days ago. When I come back MSDN to make sure that the key is correct but no more link for this. Wasted time !

[Chris responds: Are you sure the key you tried to use was a key for RTM bits?]

5. Bill says:

Odd.  Yesterday, I was able to download Windows 7 Ultimate and started the download as I left the office.  I did not check the keys then, but today I can no longer download it and there are no keys available.

What gives?

[Chris responds: There were issues with the above downloads for some of our customers. The links should be working now and a permanent fix is going out early next week.]

6. David says:

Why can’t I download Ultiamte today or get a key.  I could yesterday?

7. chocho says:

The enterprise and ultimate…. bot 32bit and 64bit….

are not downloadable ……… the files has been taken out….

why ????????

tell us the story and is the problem related to other versins of windows 7

[Chris responds: There were web site issues with the above downloads for some of our customers. The links should be working now and a permanent fix is going out early next week.  There was never anything wrong with any version of Windows 7 delivered through our system (just a nasty internet rumor).]

8. Crys says:

I cant download Windows 7!! The transfer stops when the 49% arrives!! What can I do??

[Chris responds: I just tested the download for x64 Windows Ultimate.  No issues.  Please try again.]

9. krinal says:

Windows 7 Ultimate x86 shows an error while downloading begins.

Not able to start downloading..Need help!

[Chris responds: It worked for me when I just tried it.  Please try again and contact me via my profile if you continue to have trouble.]

10. CBC says:

I started a download of Windows 7 Ultimate. I also got the Product key. Then it got cut off around the 180MB mark (and got there at crawling speeds). Now I can log in but the download and key links are grayed out.

Still see some issues with the download?

[Chris responds: There are no known issues preventing downloads.  Please let me know if you continue to see this issue.]

11. Roberto says:

Hi Chris, I’ve downloaded two times the Win 7 Ultimate x64 bit, but the .iso images were corrupted in both cases. I think there’s something wrong in the .iso. Instead x86 Ultimate is ok and already installed in two machines.

[Chris responds: I cannot explain why you are having issues – but the ISO images test fine for me.  I do know for sure that FTM does a CRC at the end of the download process to ensure the bits arrived correctly.  I will escalate your issue on Monday.]

12. Ritesh Ganatra says:

Win7 ultimate and enterprise, both keys and files are now available . they were not till now maybe because of the load.. but you can download and use them now. Get your copy..

13. Sesli-SohbetChat says:

Thanks. windows 7 Do not iexplorer Why

14. Randy Beavers says:

I’ve downloaded two times the Win 7 Ultimate x86 bit, but the .iso images were corrupted in both cases.

[Chris responds: I’ve downloaded the ISO image as well and am in the process of installing onto one of my personal computers.  How about your burning process – could that be at fault?  Have you tried to mount the ISO image without burning it?]

15. agv says:

Neither key nor ISO image of Windows 7 Ultimate (both x86 and x64) are available in our MSDN subscription. They are not available in Top Downloads either. Should we expect some automatic fix this week or should we report it?

[Chris responds: In this case, I would suspect that your subscription level is not yet permissioned to see any downloads.  What type of subscription do you have?]

16. Frankie says:

Hi Chris,

I don’t have problem downloading the Win 7 Ultimate x86 ISO from MSDN.

The MD5 and SHA1 checksum matched, but when during installation, it was revealed as a corrupted ISO. Just like what Roberto have.

Thanks, have a good day

[Chris responds: Why do you think the ISO is corrupted? The odds of your checksum being correct and the ISO being corrupt are astronomically high.]

17. Joseph says:

When will this be on the Academic Alliance servers? Thanks!

[Chris responds: It should have been made available by now.]

18. Marc says:

Hello Chris,

we have a key but no download-Link for Windows 7 at aur subscription-Downloads.

Language Packs and WAIK are available…

We are BizSpark Member.

Don’t we have access yet? But why have we a serial then?

[Chris responds: You sure do have access.  As you noted in your follow up post, the only languages available at this point are English.  Localized language files are coming very soon.]

19. Angry CPU says:

Joseph said:

When will this be on the Academic Alliance servers? Thanks!

[Chris responds: It should have been made available by now.]

I go through IEEE’s Academic Alliance and got an email today saying it would be August 13th for us. I too was curious and had to go through several layers to get this info.

"We appreciate your interest in the upcoming release of Windows 7 Professional (RTM).  Our current expected release date across MSDNAA is scheduled for Thursday August 13th."

I’m crossing my fingers 🙂

20. Joseph says:

Joseph said:

When will this be on the Academic Alliance servers? Thanks!

[Chris responds: It should have been made available by now.]

The only mention of Windows 7 that I see on my MSDN Academic Alliance page is the Windows 7 Ultimate x86/x64 Release Candidate. If they’re already up, is this a typo and these are the RTM builds? Or will I have to wait until the 13th like Angry CPU and see what happens then?

[Chris responds: As you might suspect, our release dates are not tied to other teams.  It looks like they are on a slightly different schedule.]

21. Joseph says:

Upon further investigation, it looks like based on the URL I use to get into MSDNAA, it looks like it’s e-academy and ELMS-based. After reading this article ( it would seem that it will come later this week?

22. Ego says:

Regarding my MAK key, how do I know how many activations/systems I have left? Or is it unlimited?

[Chris responds: It is not unlimited.  If you need an actual number, contact me privately and I’ll see what I can do to get you the info.]

23. Adam says:

I don’t have access to it either on the Academic Alliance page yet. I guess I’ll just wait for a little while longer…

I can’t wait to get the final version, I’ve been using the RC, and if this version will be even faster, then I’m all for it.

24. sid says:

Not able to download any software even with the subscription is active.

The download and the Key is grayed out.

Could anyone help me on this.

[Chris responds: What type of subscription?]

25. Justin says:

Ummmm…looks like all downloads are disabled.

Even if you have a valid subscription. MSDN downloads overloaded anybody?

[Julie replies: We are looking into this now, and hope to have resolution as quick as possible. Sorry for the inconvenience.]

26. Travis says:

What’s interesting is on August 11 2009, Windows Server 2008 R2 was released on Volume Licensing.

I’ve downloaded it and activated our MAKs already — whish is great if I were using it for production use BUT not for development.

This is a reverse release policy than that of Windows 7 which hit MSDN first, then Volume Licensing 2 days later.

[Julie replies: The delay was related to making sure we could delver the bits and keys reliably across all channels and not take the systems down. At least you’ve already downloaded the bits, so you’ll just need to grab your keys tomorrow from the Subscriptions Site. If you are installing Enterprise, make sure you change the key from KMS to MAK, unless you are going to set up a separate KMS Host environment for dev and test that is separate from your production environment. You can do that using your VL production keys as long as the dev/test environments are separate from the production environments. ]

27. Angry CPU says:

Microsoft has done a gret job getting this out(Win 7 RTM Pro and Enter) and all the contact I have had has been great. It appears they did their job in getting it to the Admins of the MSDNAA,ELMS etc

This is where I have had the problem, I get different answers from the support folks where the ISO’s are to be placed. The last contact from my MSDNAA portal said it could be weeks. All in all I see the delay is on whomever is supposed to get them posted to these portals. Frustrating…

28. Erlend says:

I have a MSDN subscription and I’ve downloaded both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 7 Ultimate, and have requested keys. I installed the 64 bit version, and the key worked fine for activation. I tried requesting other keys for the 32-bit installation on another pc, but none of them work. Do the keys only work for the 64-bit version?

[Mike Responds:  They should work for both x86 and x64.  Make sure that you are using the RTM builds of Windows 7 and not the RC.  We have had a few questions come in where it turned out customers were using RTM keys with RC Bits, which will not work.  RTM keys only work for RTM Bits, and Pre-RTM Keys only work for Pre-RTM bits.]

29. Angry CPU says:

**Update 2**  I see that IEEE (MDSNAA) did post Windows 7 Pro RTM x86 and x64. The wait was worth it and appreciate those who had accurate information about coming out today. I was upset, but just eager hehe.. thanks for letting me post and vent, but just wanted a resolution. peace all~

30. Joseph says:

Unfortunately Angry CPU, still not up for me. I still only see the x86 and x64 release candidates.

31. Tom says:

Any news on when Windows Server 2008 R2 RTM will be available?  Also, under OS – there is no Windows Server 2008 R2 anymore – this disappeared about a week ago – any answers for this?

[Chris responds: The date of the release is August 14 (as announced by the product group here).  The time will not be announced publicly ahead of time.  When the files are available, we will post an announcement on this blog site.  The Windows Server R2 RC bits were removed from the site last week in preparation for the RTM release.]

32. mthornal says:

I’ve had the same problem as Erlend.  The keys shown on the MSDN site are the same for both the x64 and x86 versions of Windows 7 Ultimate but they only work on the x64 install.  The key fails validation on the x86 install.  I am defintiely using the correct build of Windows 7.

[Chris responds: Please contact me via my profile and I’ll get you in touch with someone who can help you investigate the issue.]

33. Caedric says:

“Per the Product Group’s blog, August 14th is the TARGET date for release. And no I don’t know the specific time.”

So, now we are the August 14th … Is the target release date the real one ? When could we download W2K8 R2 on MSDN please ?

[Chris responds: See my post above to Tom.]

34. ohrenstoepsel says:

When is Windows 7 German Version available? Is there a specific date?

[Julie replies: With the Wave 2 files as reported earlier]

35. R2D2 says:

Hmm…  can’t seem to firn R2?  Will it still be out today?

R2 D2?

36. Jose Martinez says:

I believe Win7 came out at 10am PT last week.  Probably same time for R2.

37. Angry CPU says:

Joseph said:

August 14, 2009 12:03 AM

Joseph, the contact information that finally got me someplace is below, hope they can help.

MSDN Academic Alliance

Phone: (866) 643-9421

Fax: (661) 775-6475

38. Andreas says:

Windows Server 2008 R2 is now available for downlod. Enjoy :)!

39. Brian says:

Server 2008 R2 is out but cannot request a key.

[Chris responds: Do you get an error – I just tested it and it worked.]

40. Brian says:

Yes, this is my error:

An Error Has Occurred

There was an error while trying to claim the requsted product key, and we could not process the request. Many products can be used for 30 days without a key. Please come back later and try the key request again.

You can also refer to the MSDN Get Help and Support Page.

Reference Id: F24474D9

This error has been logged with the reference number noted above. Please use this reference number if you contact support.

I can get a lab key, but not a MAK. What’s a Lab key?

[Chris responds: Please contact me privately through my profile.  I’ll get you some help.]

41. Anthony says:

I’ve been trying to install Windows7 with the download and key from MSDN but I keep getting an invalid key message.

I’ve double checked the version i’m installing and I definitely have the right key.

[Chris responds: What product are you trying to activate?  x86 or x64?]

42. Jim Dunlap says:

we have downloaded and installed KMS when we attempt to install and activate our key provided from MSDN we get the following erron from KMS:

Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.6

Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1996-2001. All rights reserved.

Error: 0xC004F050 The Software Licensing Service reported that the product key is invalid

Can you help us out?

[Chris responds: Contact me privately through my profile.  I’ll need the exact key you are attempting to use for activation and as many details as you can grab (if there are more than just the error above).]

43. Pat says:

I have the same problem as Anthony above.  I keep getting invalid key for the windows 7 Ultimate upgrade.  I checked the version and have correct key but i am stuck at set-up screen.

[Chris responds: Please do 2 things:
    1. Enter the key and capture the error text or screen capture.
    2. Send the key and error text to me via mail through my profile link above.

You can skip the activation screen during setup – you’ll have 30 days to complete the process, so you can continue with activation.]

44. Greg says:

Is there a x86 version of Windows 2008 R2? Maybe I have missed some info about this.

[Julie replies: I can confirm that all files posted so far are x64 or ia64. I will have to check with someone else to see if an x86 version was even developed.]

[more from Julie: On the x86 question for Windows Server 2008 R2….

It looks like x64 or IA64 are it.

From R2 System Requirements:

Minimum: 1.4 GHz (x64 processor)
    Note: An Intel Itanium 2 processor is required for Windows Server 2008 for Itanium-Based Systems

45. Phil says:

I downloaded and installed 2008 R2 (Enterprise) via MSDN subscriptions download (the 8/14/2009 version).

The desktop indicates it’s “Evaluation Copy. Build 7100”.

I went back to MSDN Downloads and obtained a key in order to activate.

Activation fails with message that it is an invalid key. I have no ability to get another key because the key provided is multiple activation type and I can’t retrieve another key.

Is this a known problem with activation?

[Julie replies: 7100 is the RC build, which is no longer posted on the site. The RTM keys will not work with the RC bits, so that is not suprising. Can you please confirm the file name that you downloaded adn installed.]

46. Patrick says:

I successfully downloaded Windows 7 Ultimate x64, en_windows_7_ultimate_x64_dvd_x15-65922.iso. I then proceeded to retrieve a product key. However, during the installation when asked for a Product key, it always says it is in valid.

Please help…

[Mike Responds: Go ahead and contact me directly by clicking on my name to get to my profile, and then finding the ’email’ link.  Send me the product key that you’re using and I’ll check it out for you.]

47. says:

I’m wondering why Expression Blend isn’t included in our MSDN subscription.

I know that originally, it was intended to only be a tool for “designers” and never to be touched by “engineers.”  However, the reality in many companies is that you wear multiple hats.  It seems like this should be considered a development tool.

48. agv says:

@chris: We have an Academic Alliance subscription. Looks like MSDNAA is not eligible for Ultimate version but only for Professional 🙁 Thanks anyway! 🙂

[Chris responds: I double checked our current permission set and your AA subscription doesn’t entitle you to Ultimate – only Professional and Enterprise.]

49. Derrick says:

I have download the Windows 7 Ulltimate 64 and did the upgrade option and it went fine, but now I’m at the key.  I have requested 3 different keys, tried them all none work.  Any ideas since it’s has taken over my computer and I see no path back to the RC?

[Chris responds: Please privately send me the product key that is visible on the bottom of the page when you go to Control Panel > System.]

50. David says:

Are there going to be KMS keys for MSDNAA Windows 7 and Server 2008?  They where available for Vista and we setup a KMS server for that purpose and now they are not available for Windows 7 that I can find.

51. Mark A says:

I just purchased 5 seats of Win2k8 R2 and activated the license on the eOpen site.  But in the product download area of the Volume Licensing Service Center I don’t see R2, only the R1 editions.   Am I in the wrong place for R2?