When will Subscribers get Windows 7 RTM? August 6th.

I'm sure many people have seen this post, but for those who haven't, here is official word, straight from the Windows team:

From the blog, MSDN and TechNet Subscribers will be able to download Windows 7 RTM on August 6th.

Please let us know if you have any questions leading up to availability on Subscriber Downloads, we'll do what we can to get them answered.

Thanks,
Mike

1. msdnsubscriber says:

Hello, my question is if it is going to be released only in English. MSDN Downloads usually releases a product in English and two or three other languages, on the same day…

Thanks,

[Mike responds: Good question, I’ll see if I can find a response for you.]

2. Ladiesman247 says:

Well Done guys… Please manage the Server bandwidth to download easily !!

3. wombat says:

Will the European RTM iw Windows 7E be avaible on the same data as we have a LOT of testing to make sure embedided browser controls etc work

4. Phil says:

What will be the recommended upgrade process from Windows 7 RC?

5. Jeff says:

The non-English language date is answered in the blog:

Developers with MSDN Subscriptions will be able to download Windows 7 RTM in English on August 6th and remaining languages by October 1st.

6. Michael says:

Hi, my question is: Will Windows 7 EN-US Pro (or other SKU) going to be available through MSDN-AA on August 6th?

Thanks.

7. cgatto says:

awsome!  I got off Vista for W7 and never looked back.

8. Jose Antonio Quilez says:

Please put also in MSDN subscriber downloads as many W7 other languages builds as possible as far as they become available

Thanks

9. SubscriptionsBlogger2 says:

There is no supported upgrade from Windows 7 beta or RC, to Windows 7 RTM. Take a look at the following page for more information: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd772579(WS.10).aspx

10. SubscriptionsBlogger2 says:

As noted above, the Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 bits are being released in waves, with English bits coming out first. I am checking to see what additional details are available, that can be shared.

11. It also for MSDN Academic Alliance? Thanks!

12. Avinash Tauro says:

Will the windows 7 RTM be made available via Bizspark.

13. Danny says:

@ Michael:

My experience is that releases to MSDN can take a while to get over to MSDN-AA, sometimes a month.

14. Adam says:

Good to see this coming along.

Will Windows 7 be released for the MSDN Academic Alliance at the same time it’s released for regular MSDN subscribers? I know the release candidate is on there, as well as previous versions of windows, so can I expect to see Windows 7 on there as well?

15. Alas….My subscription expires on 5th of August.

Best of luck to others.

16. SubscriptionsBlogger2 says:

A few answers to a few questions above:

I am not familar with the specific details of which Editions and Versions of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 will be available to BizSpark and to AA Administrators, but I can say that when the bits are made available on August 6th and later for additoinal waves, they are typically made available to all Subscription levels at the same time.

As far as managing bandwidth and site availability all up, we have made some changes to make the site and the underlying platform more performant. We have also made some temporary customer flow changes which you may have noticed if you have been on the site in the last few days. We like the functionality that allows non-subscribers (or subscribers that are not logged in)  to see what is available, but providing this does put additional load on the underlying systems. For now, until after the launch wave peak traffic subsides, we are forcing a live ID sign in to see the file information, to help reduce the impact of "casual browsing" by non-Subscribers on the systems – so that Subscribers can get their bits and keys.

17. Joe says:

Really hope that it doesn’t take a long time to get it on MSDN-AA, if any…

18. Havoc says:

Will the RTM on MSDN only be the professional version or all version?

19. We have been using the windows 7 RC for the last month and have to say it is so much better than vista!

I have a laptop running vista 64bit (8gb memory), 2.93GHz Core2Duo etc, and I installed Windows 7 32bit on an older laptop to compare – Windows 7 wins hands down in terms of performance and functionality.

I can recommend it enough!  Downloading on the 6th for definate!

20. SubscriptionsBlogger2 says:

All Editions of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 will be available to MSDN Subscribers. The specifics of which Editions go to which Subscription level will vary somewhat, mostly pertaining to VL bits vs. Retail bits, though.

As far as when it will get "on MSDNAA", I am not familar with the logistics for getting it on a system that is separate from the MSDN Subscriber Benefits Portal.

21. Sonic says:

What time on August 6th will Windows 7 RTM be released? 12 AM PST?

22. Daniel Woo says:

I want a trial of simple-chinese version of Windows 7

23. Adam says:

Thanks for the update. I guess we’ll see if the MSDN-AA subscribers get Windows 7 in just a few days.

24. What time will the windows 7 RTM will the released. I know its 6 aug, but I like to know what time and the timezone you’r in. Thank you in advanced.

Regards,

Jayant

25. Jason says:

Tick, Tick, Tick… getting close 🙂

26. Ethan Smith says:

Any idea what time, is it a mid-afternoon release tomorrow, or a midnight release tonight?

27. Gutemberg Ribeiro says:

Nothing yet…. Very nervous….

28. isamuelson says:

It’s 8:08 am ET in the US and no RTM on MSDN.

29. Andrew says:

Still not there… can someone tell us what time it will be up? It’s 2pm in the UK and I’ve been waiting all day for it!

30. Yordan Yordanov says:

It is still 6:15 am in Redmond, so probably it’s early. I’d expect it around 10:00 am PDT. (UTC -7). 🙂

31. Matt Bunce says:

It’s only 06:23 in Redmond so I wouldn’t expect to see it for another few hours yet. Maybe about 16:00-17:00 GMT if we are lucky.

[Mike Responds:  We will post some announcements when Windows 7 RTM is live]

32. George Thompson says:

Hey,

Still no W7 RTM on MSDN, and its 2:27 UK time, and 6:27 in Redmond…

33. Mike Kinsman says:

We have had almost 100 unposted comments asking what time we will post Windows 7 RTM.  Rather than posting them all, I’ll just say that we will make some announcements when it is made available for download.  You can also monitor the Subscriptions RSS feed for notification when the bits are made available.

Thanks,

Mike

34. isamuelson says:

Mike, thanks for the posting. I think the main reason we ask is because we were told August 6th, but it was never specified if that meant midnight in the US, midnight in Australia (which means more like August 7th for those of us in the USA), etc.

35. discipline2004 says:

Professionally speaking a specific time of release should have been included with the announcement.

36. zhaopengfei says:

11:56 AM EST here, no RTM on MSDN….

37. isamuelson says:

Mike, I guess we would just like to know if we in the USA will ever see it on August 6th and when. In the mid afternoon, at night or not until August 7th?

It’s one thing to say it will be available August 6th, but it’s another when August 6th is over half-way done and there has not been any sign of the RTM being on MSDN or even any announcement as to when/if we will ever see it today.

38. FishDawg says:

I take August 6 without any time specified to mean sometime before the end of the day. I’d guess no later than sometime in the afternoon PDT (UTC-7). But the sooner the better! I can’t wait to download.

39. Derek says:

Mike,

I think you owe it to us all to post what is going on, and what the delay is. If you have the authority to announce a date, you should have the ability to fill us in.

Derek

40. Lord Chikan says:

@isamuelson

I agree. I think they’re being generally insensitive to the fact that PDT, their home timezone, is the last major timezone in the world and that for many of us, our August 6th work day started before they even went to bed on August 5. August 6th is already long gone in New Zealand, Australia, Japan, China, Hong Kong, Singapore, etc, and our work day is now over in Europe.

A timing announcement really would have been nice.

41. Moyce Polanco says:

9:03 Alaska Time (GMT -9). It’s there available for download now.

42. anonymous says:

Didn’t see anyone post, but the downloads are available for Windows 7 now.

43. Martin says:

I am eagerly looking forward to the download as been running the RC successfully for the last couple of months or so.  Bit annoying having to read all these ‘What time’ posts.  Can’t you guys read? This has already been discussed.  I’m sure if they could give us a time they would.  If it gets put up any earlier than 23:59 PST then I’ll be happy..

44. isamuelson says:

WOOT! It’s there! Downloading it now!!!

45. Ben Newcomb says:

Yay! And 500KB/s.  Wonder how long that will last?

46. Danny says:

Wow, right after I commented saying it wasn’t there.  Sure enough.  Downloading both 32 and 64bit.

47. Yordan Yordanov says:

Yepp, it is on Downloads before the announcmenet. Congratulations! Hopefully the bandwidth will be enough. 🙂

48. eideto says:

Excellent!

I’m getting pretty good sustained transfer rates.. I wonder how long that will last?

Thanks for putting up with our annoying anticipation.  We are after all, a bunch of geeks.

Congrats to the Platform Team!

49. Yordan Yordanov says:

The speed from Akamai is really great. I am getting it with 3-4 MB/sec. Great work!

50. digi says:

If installing Win7 on MacBook, which type of version should download, x64 or x86?

Thanks,

51. Amit says:

Congrats MSFT ! i am sure this OS will have a great run.

another 4+ hours to go before my download completes. Can’t wait to drive this 🙂

52. eideto says:

digi..

If you are going to be using Boot Camp, go for 32-bit (x86).  Even though you may be running 64-bit Duo Core chips,  driver support is still an issue on the Mac.  Might have different experience using Parallels or VMWare..

53. Superphreak says:

Mike,

Do you know if the RTM will be available to folks accessing MSDN through the Academic Alliance?

54. Superphreak says:

>.>

Ignore my post, I missed SubscriptionsBlogger2’s post.

55. Ozgur Canibeyaz says:

no info about windows server 2008 r2?

Skip to main content