Windows 7 RC on track for release to Subscribers on April 30th

You may have seen on the Windows 7 Blog, but it is now confirmed that the Windows 7 RC is on track to be released to MSDN and TechNet Subscribers on April 30th, with broader public availability on May 5th.

You might also be interested in some of the linked details:

Changes since Beta and more changes since Beta

1. Omotosho Ruphae says:

I want to be notified of the windows 7 rc when available for download.

[Mike Responds:  You can subscribe to the Subscriptions “New Downloads RSS Feed” available here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/subscription-downloads.rss for notification when Windows 7 RC is posted.   For more information on our RSS Feeds, please see my post here: http://blogs.msdn.com/msdnsubscriptions/archive/2008/11/21/new-subscriptions-rss-feeds.aspx. Thanks for subscribing!]

2. eddy van hecke says:

I can’t wait! 🙂 Windows 7 has to be the best version of Windows I have used so far.

3. Peter says:

Is it possible to upgrade from the previous beta ? or is a fresh install required?

[Julie replies: There is no upgrade path, so you will need to do a fresh install when going from Beta to RC, and when going from RC to RTM.

Check out this cool video which you migh find useful: http://edge.technet.com/Media/Installing-Win7-using-a-USB-Stick/

4. SubscriptionsBlogger2 says:

Some more information in response to Peter’s question about upgrades.

Here is a very detailed post from the Windows Team about this issue. If you REALLY REALLY NEED to do it, they provide some information on how to do it with the greatest likelihood of success, but it might come with some odd side effects.

5. Bruce says:

I’m looking forward to deploying 7.  Vista was fun but 7 will really be something for deployment.  Gimme Gimme.

Looking forward to the local VPC XP addon also.

6. Arve Systad says:

Will it be released on MSDN Academic Alliance as well, or just for “normal” MSDN subscribers?

[Chris responds: Developer Academic Alliance subscribers are going to get the love too! ]

[Julie adding a bit more clarity: AA Administrators will have access to it on the MSDN Subscriber Downloads site at the same time as all other Subscribers. Students or others who use the ELMS site will also get it quickly, but not quite as quickly. The ELMS team will have access to it, to post it after the initial go live.]

7. Mike says:

What time April 30th will this be available on MSDN? (Note I am in London) I want to download and install this as my primary machine as soon as possible can’t wait to be off Vista.

Also will this require a product key to install, if so can I generate this using the MSDN subscriptions site or I use my current beta key?

Thanks.

[Chris responds: 6:00am PDT (1:00pm GMT)]

8. SubscriptionsBlogger2 says:

Regarding Product Keys, the keys issued for the beta will also work for the RC, so if you already have one, you are in good shape, or you can go claim one today.

9. mohab1220 says:

What time April 30th will this be available on MSDN?

same question 😀

10. …..for the MSDN people out there, you can now go and get Windows 7 (or shortly anyway). I have

11. Mike R. says:

Where’s the enterprise version?

[Julie responds: only Ultimate was made available for the RC]

12. kevJ says:

Any news on changes to Media Centre Extender functionality, or DLNA, or an improvement in the twinned extender client that gets droppe don the Xbox360?

[Chris responds: We don’t have any info on that.]

Skip to main content