Subscribers will not be able to download Saturday during scheduled maintenance

Due to scheduled maintenance activities this weekend, MSDN, TechNet, and Expression Subscribers will not be able to download files for several hours. The Subscriber sites will be available for access, and all other functionality will be available.

Scheduled Start: Saturday 20 September 2008 08:00 (USA Pacific Time, GMT-8)
Scheduled End: Saturday 20 September 2008 18:00 (USA Pacific Time, GMT-8)

1. SubscriptionsBlogger2 says:

As of 9:30 PM this work is still underway. Some technical difficulties have caused the extension of the downtime. The new completion target is 12:30 AM.

2. SubscriptionsBlogger2 says:

As of 11:15PM, this downtime is still in effect, and has been further extended based on the legth of time data migration is taking. The team doing the work will provide another update after 7AM Sunday morning (USA PST).

3. Ryan says:

Any update?  The downloads are still not working for me.

4. Marcin Książek says:

I still can’t download. After clicking any download link I get an window saying that there was a probliem with initiating the download.

Do you know when the downloads would be working?

5. Cormac O'Brien says:

Is this still in progress? It is Sunday afternoon and I can’t access anything. Most annoyingly I am unable to get to my Product Keys, that’s all I want to access. Is it really necessary to block access to this? Could we have a link so that we can get to the product keys without having to go through the unavailable download center?

6. SubscriptionsBlogger2 says:

I just got an update from the team doing the work. It is still ongoing and they have said they would have another update in 2 hours. They still do not have an ETA for resolution.

I have asked them about their rollback plan, and about whether they would implement it. They have not responsed to that question.

Product Keys are accessible – either from the download area or from the Product Keys list page. I am looking at mine right now so have confirmed this. It is just the downloads that are unavailable.

7. nanasi3 says:

It is already monday morning here in Japan.

I hope the download problems fix soon…

8. Cormac O'Brien says:

OK, thanks for the update. Logging out from my Live ID and logging back in gave me access to the product keys.

9. DM says:

I don’t see a Product Keys tab… I thought it was a problem with IE8 Beta but I’m on a Vista PC with IE7 and still don’t see de Product Keys tab.

Am I alone?

10. SubscriptionsBlogger2 says:

This work is complete and downloads are again available as of 5:40PM.

Thank you for your patience.

11. SubscriptionsBlogger2 says:

DM:

There are two ways to get to product keys. There is a product key icon adjacent to the download link and details link for each file in the download area. There is also a Product Keys list page that can be accessed from the subnavigation in the downloads area.

Both of those were available all weekend while downloads were not.

12. Dave Simmons says:

Sign-in for downloads and key is broken at the moment in the US (Friday Sept 26) — “The Windows Live Network is unavailable from this site for one of the following reasons:+ — it would be nice if this could be explained on the MSDN main page with an ETA for a fix.

[Chris responds: There are no known issues at the moment.  The error you report is almost always related to something wrong with the LiveId cookies that get written to your client.  You should be able to resolved this by doing the following:

1. Clear your cookies.

2. Close your browser.

3. Reopen your browser and try again.

If you still have trouble, mail me privately.]

13. Cannot access MSDN Subscriptions site

14. Peter says:

Wow I get the same error “The Windows Live Network is unavailable from this site for one of the following reasons:” today (2nd of Oct)

Is the site STILL broken?

[Chris responds: Clear your cookies, close all open browser instances and try again.  Occasionally there is an issue with the LiveId cookie that needs to get cleared out.]

15. Zunanji viri says:

If you get this error while trying to access MSDN subscriptions section you might be victim of a bug

16. ChrisN says:

I haven’t been able to access MSDN subscription downloads area for over 24 hours.  Tried on 2 different computers.

17. Richard says:

I also cannot log in to msdn, after I enter my email and password and get redirected to msdn.microsoft.com/Message-Error.htm saying “Sorry, we were unable to service your request.”. After that, _every_ page on msdn.microsoft.com redirects me to this message, including the home page. I have to clear my cookies to see msdn again, but still I’m not able to access my subscriber downloads.

Is there maintenance going on, or is anybode else experiencing the same problems…?

[Chris responds: There is an outtage this morning.  We are analyzing the issue now.]

18. Jon Angliss says:

I’m getting similar issues… As soon as I login to my MSDN subscription, the entire site stops working, with the error:

Sorry, we were unable to service your request.

For the latest headlines and to see what’s new, visit the MSDN home page.

Check out the various MSDN Developer Centers where you can find the latest product information, technical resources, and community offerings.

Visit the MSDN Library for the latest technical articles, reference documentation, downloads, and more.

Tried with IE, Firefox, and Google Chrome on one computer, and IE on another… Same problems.  Clearing of cookies/cache/reboots/etc did not help.

19. Rinog says:

Exactly the same in Windows Vista with IE 7.0 or Ie 8.0 Beta 2.

I cannot access subscriber downloads, subscription account management, etc.

If I type https:/msdn.microsoft.com/it-it/subscriptions/manage/default.aspx (that works in Windows server 2003 with IE 7.0) in Windows Vista I am redirected to

… and I see the error page with the message:

…..

[JHCairn: see http://blogs.msdn.com/msdnsubscriptions/archive/2008/10/03/if-you-get-the-windows-liveid-is-unavailable-message.aspx]

20. Rinog says:

I solved my problems! … Simply clearing (deleting) cookies and restarting IE 7.0.

21. I cannot access the MSDN download with IE7. This has been going on now for more than a month. I do get in when I clear my cookies but I’m getting tired of clearing them all. What cookie needs to get deleted? I’ll just write a batch job to clear it daily.

[Chris responds: The issue you describe should not happen.  Please sign into the blog and privately mail me via the link on my profile with your contact information and I’ll help get you some assistance.]

22. John Stanford says:

I can access MSDN on all my other systems but not this one with IE 8 (IE8 works on my other systems) even when I clear my cookies I cannot access it.  I can use other browsers like Opera but I cannot download anything with another browers.  Any suggestions?

[Chris responds: Please sign into the blog and contact me via mail privately with your contact details.  I’ll have you collect some browser trace logs and I will forward them to our authentication team for analysis.]

Skip to main content