By default the post excerpt on your blogs home page will be the first 250 characters of the actual post content. However you may want to provide an alternate summary or customize that excerpt with images and formatting. To do that, you need to use the post summary functionality in your dashboard.
This example assumes you've already written a post you wish to provide a summary for. The steps are the same except you'd create a new post instead of editing an existing one.
- Navigate to your blog's home page.
- Navigate to the post you wish to provide a summary to.
- Click the edit this post link in the sidebar options.
- You should end up at the Write tab in the blog dashboard. Switch to the Publication Settings tab.
- Find the Post Summary section.
- If you wish to also have your custom summary appear in your RSS feed, switch Use post summaries in RSS to Yes. You do not have to enable this for the summary to work on your home page only.
- Enter your post summary into the rich text editor, including any images, text or formatting you like.
- Click Publish.
You can then browse back to your blogs home page and you should see the summary you entered.