Hotfix is Now Available for Warning C4945

If you’ve been reading our forums you may have seen the long-running thread regarding warning C4945 slowing down certain types of builds. This issue was also reported through our Connect feedback center as issue 123509.

I’m pleased to announce that we have a hotfix available for this problem, and that it’s now available through our product support services. To obtain the hotfix you should contact your local product support office and ask for the hotfix in KB article 922271. You should only request this hotfix if you have seen this specific issue, as it will not address or change anything else other than this one specific problem.

Note that if you look for this KB article in our knowledge base database you likely won’t see it. Don’t worry, that’s because we’re still writing the actual article and it won’t be out for a couple of weeks. The hotfix is available, however, and your product support contact should be able to it without issue.

[ Author: Neil Enns ]

1. c.g. galloway says:

KB 922271:  Searching the KB database for the referenced article yields no results.

2. Niki says:

Shouldn’t a fix like this be free? Product support services charge 99 € per request, I think that’s quite a lot for a hotfix.

(I’d be really thankful if someone could post a download link…)

3. Neil says:

You won’t be charged for a support call. When you call in and ask for the hotfix they’ll waive the regular support services charge.

4. RalfA says:

Is this hotfix included in the VS2005 SP1 beta?

5. TadDr says:

Half an hour hanging on the support phone and still nothing. Can’t this be easier????

The article is here

6. Mishi says:

I would like to know if this hotfix is part of VS2005 SP1. I could not see it mentioned in the SP1 list of fixes.

7. xpnctoc says:

Why isn’t something like this just available for download? Funny that I was just watching someone’s home-made spoof Microsoft advertisement on UTube. In it they reference Microsoft’s "Sinkhole of Support". So let’s see, you have to call in, wait on hold for God knows how long, and hope they remember to not charge you for the call? I’d say this qualifies. You guys could really use some work on your customer service dept. Stop cranking out a new version of software every 2 years with 600 bugs and start focusing on QUALITY!!!

8. Trogdor says:

I don’t know what one has to do with the other, but I did not encounter this issue until I installed VS 2008 beta 2. I had been working with a C++/CLI project with C# DLLs for 6 months. First thing I did was make sure I was in VS 2005. I was. But it just seems way too "coincidental" that my very first build attempt of this 2005 project throws 350 warnings AFTER installing 2008…

9. Kubin says:

I have solved this problem, SP1 doesn’t. I’ve got C# project A reference by C# project B. C++/CLI project C is referencing to B and A. C# project D reference to A,B,C. I have set all reference form C# projects to C# or C++/CLI projects to project reference with all properties to true. And all references from C++/CLI to C# projects to was set as DLL references with all properties (copy local, use in build…) set to false.

10. Tony B. says:

Ok. Never seen this issue before (using VS 2005). Now I install VS 2008 and I get a bazillion of these warnings. Why do I have to jump through hoops to get a fix for this? More importantly, why is this still a bug in VS 2008, when it was a known issue with VS 2005?

11. L says:

The hotfix did not for my case. I am to being having a problem with managed c++ and C# projects and the warnings can delay a build up to 12 hours!!!

Does anybody have an idea why?

12. codestreamer says:

In my case it works…i just set the copy local to false then the warnings disappeared in my next build.

13. Brian Hutchison says:

Can someone from Microsoft please tell me how I am supposed to put together a robust build and release process using VS2005 when we have two command line build tools neither of which work properly:

– devenv crashes 9 times out of 10 when used from the command line to build without the IDE (and about 2 or 3 times out of 10 within the IDE)

– msbuild throws up thousands of warnings so is demonstrably using a different process and therefore who know what other difference are lurking

Add to this the fact that msbuild will not build a Setup project so we have to split it and still use the flaky devenv and just pray it works or our build script is essential stuffed (so far it seems more stable when only building a setup project).

I am using SP1 – is this fix in it? That question has been asked here but not answered.

And if anyone thinks we are going to upgrade to 2008 whilst we are in Beta then you have to be kidding.