Had an issue where the FIM Portal was being installed on a separate server than the FIM Service.
Receiving an error message during the FIM Portal installation:
“The FIM server you have entered does not exist or is not running. Click ‘Back’ to enter a different server name. If you plan to install the FIM service on ‘<server name>’ later, click ‘Next’ to accept the configuration and continue.”
Found there was a network firewall between the FIM Service Server and the FIM Portal box.
Steps for Resolution
Verified we could access the FIM Service from the portal server by accessing:
http://<FQDN of FIM Service Server>:5725
- Gathered network traces and found some ports were being blocked by the network firewall
- Verified ports 5725 and 5726 were opened in the firewall
- Opened DCOM port 135
- Still had the error message during the FIM portal installation
- Gathered another network trace and found there were RPC ports blocked
- Opened RPC port range: 49152-65535
- The FIM portal then was able to contact the FIM Service box and was installed successfully