What do you want to see regarding XML support in the next version of SQL Server?

Now that we have shipped SQL Server 2005, I would really like to hear from you what you want us to do regarding XML support in SQL Server 2005. Feel free to either contact me directly or leave your wish in the comment section.

1. lexp says:

Maybe XSLT transformations of database schema? This would be very cool for transforming old databases.

2. PP says:

Please provide examples on

1. Most COMMONLY performed TASKS

For example accessing Node, attribute...

2. Would love to see COMMON Functions

3. In quite a number of site, I see people asking same SET of questions again-n-again, if those can to provided as SAMPLE code or HELPER functions, that would be great

4. Performance Statistics

3. High performance updates/changes to xml documents stored in SQL Server. Today that is quite an expensive operation.

4. nd says:

Please remove the HYPE about it and propose real scenarios when you can use xml better than any other possible technology. By the way so far I haven't come accross one yet.

Don't get me wrong I think there has to be something. My experience in dbms does not permit me see any "real" advantage in using xml in a rdbms.

Cheers,

5. John says:

1. Performance

2. more powerful update features

3. relational integrity (?) outch;)

6. P R B says:

I'd like to see faster .modify operations.

7. Balaji Mishra says:

1. Building XML relationship like tables are joined.

2. Merge XML data, Split(with query() method it's doable to some extent)

3. Support for Dynamic input params in the xml methods(value(),query(),nodes() etc). (Currently query() method supports it)

4. Reverse of FOR XML i.e., get a tabular representation of XML (it's doable using nodes()) using a single method/function

5. Better XML indexing like index on specific Nodes that's queried heavily(aka Non Clustered Index with inlcuded columns in SQL 2005) instead of whole xml column.

6. Computed column with indexing option to supporting at least scalar returend value from xml method operations. (curretly udf has to be created to do the same)

7. More examples of xml in sql books online