As a Version Control Program Manager, I am frequently asked for branch and merge guidance. This thirst in the field for content drove us to create a special project with the Rangers team where we worked over the last quarter to fill that gap. I am happy to announce that we have released our first edition of the document and it is now available in CodePlex for everyone to see and download: http://www.codeplex.com/BranchingGuidance
Here’s the high level overview:
· Parallel Development
· Branching Defined
· Creating Isolation in Team Foundation Server
· General Branching Structure Guidance
· Branching Strategies
· Broad Areas of Branching Isolation
· Creating Your Branching Strategy
· Defining Your Code Promotion Model
· Feature Crews: How Microsoft Does It
· End-to-End Implementation Scenario
We are excited that this is available in CodePlex because it means that we can now gather your feedback and make the contents of the document better with a very quick turnaround. Please take a second, download the pdf from the releases tab, and give us feedback if you get a chance.
Enjoy the guidance.