Hotfixes for Outlook

I recently learned more about how hotfixes work for Outlook
(and I assume, all of the Office apps). After we release a new version
of Outlook, large companies occasionally come back to us and ask us to
change something immediately. Sometimes it's a bug fix that affects
them, or a change to the design of a feature. If approved, these
hotfixes are created and a KB article is written to document the fix,
which is then released to the public in the next service pack. These
hotfixes aren't released on office.microsoft.com before the SP release
because they
need the extensive testing that we do for an SP release and that the
company requesting the fix can provide. Because of this, someone might
occasionally come across a hotfix KB article that matches a problem
they're having, but which is not yet available as part of an SP.
Typically, these hotfixes will be made available if a Microsoft's
customer support determines that it's the right thing to solve
someone's individual problem. Additionally (as per this article), customer support may waive the support fee if the hotfix solves the problem.

Productivity Tip
: Ctrl-Shift-K is my friend. Whenever I think of
something I need to do, I just hit Ctrl-Shift-K and up pops my new
task. Enter it, type Alt-S, and voila!

1. wretched-enduser says:

Man, way over my head, I’m just looking for help with a devlish Outlook v 2002 problem and win98 which I’m trying to rebuild after a system crash. Every time I try to install the outlook v2002, it starts trying to install core components necessary to run winXP and Outlook 2003! (I did that once, but the system was not happy and jammed and I had to reinstall the 98 OS all over again!)  I swear this is a legit product key and all,  but why, oh why,is it detecting the install disk as Outlook V2003?  I need this 98 box (And swear, someday soon, I’m going to get a newer box that runs XP at least)…but please help, or pretty please, oh mighty MS blogger, point me in the right direction for a bit of (hopefully) economical 😉 tech support…

Please?

2. Rock says:

The best place to start would be Microsoft’s support desk at

They’re trained to help you work through issues like yours and have the resources to make sure those issues are made known to the product teams.

3. wretched-enduser says:

I’ll give it a go, thanks…wah!

4. Liz says:

Hello,

I’ve recently installed Outlook on all of the computers (12) at the real estate office where I work.  Problem is most of the people have to hit send/receive to get their new emails.  Why don’t they just show up?  Most of the computers are Dell and are laptops or desktops.  Help please.

5. Rock says:

The best place to start would be Microsoft’s support desk at

6. Mdadams says:

I have been using Outlook for many years, at my current job I was given a Dell Axim for use during my job. I have many new contacts through this new job, and one of them has been corrupted several times. What happens is, in the PDA, the last 5 -10 lines of notes entered get truncated, and then during syncronizing, the notes in my PC get overwritten, even though I have Activesync set to overwrite on the device if there is a conflict. Again it’s only this one contact it is happening to. If anyone has any info on this please let me know.

Thanks Mike

7. MSDN Archive says:

Mdadams, Please see my comment above.

8. Giacomo Rambaldi says:

Since one of the latest updates done for Office 2007, I can no longer open msg attachments in outlook. When double-clicking on them I get the following message: "This file cannot be previewed because of an error with the following previewer: Microsoft Office Outlook message and item previewer. To open this file in its own programme, double-click it." Although I double-click the message, nothing happens. Any hotfix for this problem?

9. Rock says:

Giacomo, please see my comments above.

10. James says:

For those people who have Google Desktop, I did remove it and it fixed being able to view attached emails.

11. James says:

I did also try the diagnostics both within MS Outlook 2007 and for Office, but it did not help solve this issue.

12. Hector says:

This is a question.

I cannot open my inbox in Outlook Office 2003.

I can open and read the sent, spam, and save functions.

It is a message:

"a time out ocured when communicate with my -in box-"

13. John Raszcewski says:

Can you help with a problem I’m having with Outlook (office 2003) XP. Not able to receive emails, when I look at the outlook send/receive details I see that my normal 3 email accounts are showing up 3 times (my normal 3 plus 2 duplicates) all trying to process but never going anywhere.

14. Rock says:

John, Hector, James,

The best place to start would be Microsoft’s support desk at

15. italianstallian says:

i use outlook2000, window xp, my problem is Im unable to open any attachments in my msgs from the inbox. when I click on a msg hyperlink, nothing happens it will not open . I have to go into internet explorer and type in the url manually in order to view the page.  need help. tried everything I know.

16. Nancy Gershman says:

After a HD wipe out, I re-installed Outlook 2007. The DL I was in looked perfect until I clicked on UPDATE NOW. This turned all the contacts into "missing" contacts, but in fact, they’re not missing at all, because I can still pull them from Contacts. Is there another option besides SELECT MEMBER individually for each "missing" contact?

Thanks, NG