Three gallons

At lunch today I gave blood.  The lady who setup my appointment said I should make sure and pick up my 3 gallon pin (which means I’ve donated more than 24 times).  I actually earned it at my last donation, but figured I would save them the expense of giving me a pin – and I certainly don’t require gifts to donate.  But then it occurred to me that if I wear the pin then people might ask me about it and then they might donate.

But a pin can get lost and even if I put it on a coat or hat I won’t be wearing it much so I figured I would blog it!

So let me get to the point…

You should donate blood — and go for your 3, 5, 20 gallon pin(s).  Then you should see if you can influence others to do the same.

1. 7 1/2 gallons and counting here. It’s the right thing to do.

2. Anon, The Mouse says:

Should? Perhaps publishing your motivations for this belief would help.

It’s quite possible that my moral judgements and opinions would mean that I should not donate blood, and that I should influence others to discontinue donating.

In other words, I’d much rather see a reasoned argument as to WHY anyone should do some act, as opposed to a simple exhortation that one "should" do it.

3. snoop says:

how about ‘it saves lives’ ?

4. Matt Powell says:

Most systems of morality include saving lives or improving the health of others as a good thing.

I thought that went without saying.

If a bunch of folks aren’t familiar with the medical benefits of having a reserve of donated blood available to local hospitals, let me know and I’ll take the time to explain.

Methinks you protest to the preaching nature of my post instead. I suppose it came off a little harsh, but then again I could have said, "You might want to think about giving blood," but I think everyone probably has thought about it. This was an attempt to give a little tougher push to anyone who doesn’t.

And by the way…before anyone wastes their time going down to the local blood center, check out

for information on people who are/are not eligible to donate. Be sure to check out the "AIDS-individuals at high-risk" link because they have a bunch of restrictions that I wouldn’t have thought would qualify as risky behavior – things like simply traveling in certain countries for instance.

I’m not sure if these restrictions apply everywhere.

5. Kevin Jump says:

In the UK we don’t get pins when donating blood, instead you get a <a href="">small plastic credit card</a> with a your blood type and a holographic cup of tea on it (you always get offered a cup of tea and a biscuit). If you give loads of blood they do give you some <a href="">nice rewards</a>, again not that you need rewards for giving blood.

The biggest problem with blood donation in the UK is the very efficient direct mailing campaign they run, once you’ve given blood once, they keep a very tight hold of you.

6. Yex says:

As an example from someone on the receiving end…last year toward the end of my chemo-therapy treatments I got really, REALLY sick, and my white blood cell counts had gotten to a dangerously low level. I was so sick that dying might have been a relief (I didn’t want to, but…well, it just sucked), it was horrible. They admitted me to the hospital where I was given a blood transfusion of two pints. I’d like to say thanks to whoever it was that donated those two pints, because IMMEDIATELY after having that transfusion I felt 100% better. It was amazing. I am really thankful for the sacrifice that someone made to donate their blood and for how it helped me. I know it does even more for thousands of other people every day too. So, anonymous, you want a good reason for *why* you should give blood? There’s one. And thanks to all of you who have been donating…it is appreciated. Who knows, it may have been some of yours that I got.

7. Pete says:

I had two false positives for hep. on my donations. I wasn’t contacted about the first, presumably because further testing showed a negative; after the second, I was told I couldn’t donate any more. This happened while I was preparing to participate in a bone-marrow donation program here in California. I was told that FDA rules prohibit recipients of even false positives from donating blood.

I have to be a little selfish here: It breaks my heart whenever I think about someone needing blood or marrow. I was a blue-dot 0-neg donor. Premature babies, immune deficient patients, etc. receive this blood.

I do not have hep. and have never knowingly been exposed to it. I regularly donated blood, and I would donate marrow immediately if needed and allowed.

Cheers, kudos etc. to everyone else who donates.