MsiExec taking 50% CPU


I’ve had a rather frustrating afternoon but it’s all sorted now.

I’ve recently repaved my laptop with Windows 7 RC and installed loads of stuff at the same time, including VS2010 Beta 1. I’ve also more recently installed VS2008 as I needed it for the Ukadc.Diagnostics project that myself and Josh are collaborating on.

Now today I wanted to install something else, and found I couldn’t. I kept getting an error that was stating that there was already an installation in progress. Then a couple of Windows Updates failed too, so I knew something was amiss. After a bit of hunting around I found the rogue process – “msiexec /v” was the command line which I traced back to the Windows Installer service, and it was spawning off all sorts of other installations. Repeatedly. Without stopping. And it was using up to 50% of my CPU (which I’d obviously not noticed – but now I’ve sorted it I can really tell the difference!).

I then went for a hunt in the event logs and sure enough I found the culprit almost straight away – there were *thousands* of entries as follows :-

Detection of product '{AA4A4B2C-0465-3CF8-BA76-27A027D8ACAB}', feature 'VSTA_IDE_12590_x86_enu',
component '{FF4A39EF-8F8B-4557-9F81-50DC44C6D30A}' failed. The resource
'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\PublicAssemblies\en\' does not exist.

Well – that’s a fairly useful error message. I created the directory and my CPU is back to normal. The Windows Installer service is now dormant, and my PC is 50% faster doing what I want it to do.

So, if you’re having problems similar to mine check out MsiExec and see if you’ve got tons of entries in the event log.


Comments (0)

Skip to main content