- Navigate to the to the update. In this instance, the August CU for MOSS 2007 Global is KB 956056. This yields the following URL: http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbnum=956056&kbln=en-us. If this is the first time (in this browser session) that you have visited this site, you will be prompted to acknowledge a EULA for the site. Click on the I Accept button to proceed
- Next, you will see the screen for requesting the hotfix. There are a couple of areas that we need to talk about on this screen:
- By default, this screen will show the x86 hotfix. By clicking on the Only show hotfixes for my language and platform you will see all of the fixes (x86 & x64) that are available under this particular KB article. You should check those boxes that are applicable for you.
- Next, we need to know where to send the information about where to download the hotfix. Fill in your email address in this area. Make sure that your spam filter is set to allow email from "firstname.lastname@example.org".
- Finally, we need to make sure you're not a bot :-). So, we request that you enter the string that you see in the picture at the bottom of the page.
- Once you have done that, click on the Request hotfix to complete the process
- Next, you will see the Hotfix Confirmation screen with some additional instructions. It should look like this:
- In a few minutes, you should receive an email with detailed instruction on how to obtain the hotfix. It will look something like the following:
For your convenience, we put the hotfix that you requested on an HTTP site. You can download the hotfix from this site without us filling up your e-mail inbox.
WARNING This hotfix has not undergone full testing. Therefore, it is intended only for systems or computers that are experiencing the exact problem that is described in the one or more Microsoft Knowledge Base articles that are listed in "KB Article Numbers" field in the table at the end of this e-mail message. If you are not sure whether any special compatibility or installation issues are associated with this hotfix, we encourage you to wait for the next service pack release. The service pack will include a fully tested version of this fix. We understand that it can be difficult to determine whether any compatibility or installation issues are associated with a hotfix. If you want confirmation that this hotfix addresses your specific problem, or if you want to confirm whether any special compatibility or installation issues are associated with this hotfix, support professionals in Customer Support Services can help you with that. For information about how to contact support, copy the following link and then past it into your Web browser:
For additional support options, please copy the following link and then paste it into your Web browser:
Before you install this hotfix
If you decide to install this hotfix, please note the following items:
Do not deploy a hotfix in a production environment without first testing the hotfix.
Back up the system or the computer that will receive the hotfix before you install the hotfix.
Additional hotfix information
This hotfix package uses a password. Therefore, you must enter for each package the password that we included in this e-mail message. To make sure that you enter the correct password, we recommend that you highlight, copy, and then paste the password from this e-mail message when you are prompted. If you do not enter the correct password, you cannot install the hotfix.
NOTE Passwords are set to expire every seven days. Download the package within the next seven days to make sure that you can extract the files. If there are fewer than seven days left in the password change cycle when you receive this e-mail message, you receive two passwords. If this is the case, use the first password if you download the hotfix package before the date in the "Password Changes On" field that is listed in the table at the end of this e-mail message. Use the second password if you download the hotfix package after the date in the "Password Changes On" field.
NOTE For your convenience, we send the hotfix location to you in a hyperlink. To connect to this hotfix location, you can click the hyperlink in the "Location" field that is listed in the table at the end of this e-mail message to have your Web browser open that location. However, sometimes e-mail program settings disable hyperlinks. If the hyperlink in this e-mail message is disabled, please copy the hyperlink in the "Location" field and then past it into the address box of your Web browser. Make sure that you include the exact text (without spaces) between the parentheses in the http:// address.
KB Article Number(s): 956056
Language: All (Global)
NOTE Make sure that you include all the text between "(" and ")" when you visit this hotfix location.
A customer can get the fix they want without calling in to Microsoft, assuming they know the KB number of the hotfix they want and can remember the URL format for a self-service hotfix request:
Let's use our August Cumulative Update (CU) for MOSS as an example.