To benefit from Microsoft R Server’s deployment and operationalization features, you can configure R Server after installation to act as a deployment server and host analytic web services. R Server Web Services can be operationalized in two types of configuration :
One-box configuration: As the name suggests, one web node and one compute node run on a single machine. This configuration is useful when you want to explore what it is to operationalize R analytics using R Server. It is perfect for testing, proof-of-concepts, and small-scale prototyping, but might not be appropriate for production usage.
Enterprise configuration: In this configuration, multiple nodes are configured on multiple machines along with other enterprise features like High Availability, Active Directory Authentication, Secure Connectivity etc. This configuration can be scaled up or down by adding or removing nodes.
We have created the following 6 ARM Templates for easy deployment of One-Box and Enterprise Configurations:
- OneBox Configuration for Windows
- OneBox Configuration for Linux
- OneBox Configuration on Edge Node of R Server HDInsight Cluster
- Dynamic Scaling Enterprise Configuration on Windows with Azure SQL DB as WebNode Backend and Azure Active Directory Authentication
- Dynamic Scaling Enterprise Configuration on Windows with SQL Always On cluster as WebNode Backend and Active Directory Authentication
- Dynamic Scaling Enteprise Configuration on Linux with Azure SQL DB as WebNode Backend and Azure Active Directory Authentication
Just Click “Deploy to Azure” button in the github page to deploy the ARM Templates. Architecture and Instructions to connect are provided in the respective github page.
There are several other ways to deploy ARM Templates: Azure Portal, .NET SDK, Powershell, Azure CLI, Ruby, Visual Studio, REST API, AzureSMR package. Refer to this article for detailed steps.
USEFUL LINKS :
Introducing Microsoft R Server 9.1 release
What’s new in R Server 9.1 Operationalization
About operationalizing analytics with R Server
Configuring R Server to operationalize analytics (One-Box Configuration)
Configuring R Server to operationalize analytics (Enterprise Configuration)