Something that I’m currently working on is trying to better understand the interest our partners and community members have in the migration/sync space. There are already some people out there that have built tools on our existing Migration Toolkit, and I’m sure there are others I don’t know about that have tried (successfully or unsuccessfully). If you are one of those people that have tried to build migration tools for TFS, I’d love to learn more about your goals in this space.
Below are some questions that I have related to migration. I welcome any and all feedback, so please feel free to respond to this post via email or by leaving a comment.
- Where does your primary interest lie with respect to migration? Some things I can think of (please feel free to elaborate or suggest other things I’ve missed):
- Building migration tools
- Building integration/synchronization tools
- Extending/contributing to the platform
- Utilizing migration/sync tools to help customers in service engagements
- Customizing migration/sync tools in customer engagements
- What, if any, business plans do you have in this space?
- Development and sale of migration/sync tools
- Migration services
- Customization of migration/sync tools
- Do you have any interest in contributing to open source development projects on the migration tools platform?
- Any other thoughts around the migration/synchronization/integration space?
If you are interested in getting involved with our migration tools, please check out the VSTS Rangers site for information on joining the project to improve the TFS2TFS Project Copy tool and new version of our migration platform. You can alternatively contact me if you’re interested in learning more or becoming involved.
Thanks for the help with this. Your input is invaluable to helping our team better understand our community’s needs and wants in this space.