Microsoft Office Ultimate for $59.95: The Ultimate Steal is Back!

Starting today, August 20, 2008 college students in the United States enrolled in at least .5 credit hours can purchase Microsoft Office 2007 Ultimate Edition for only $59.95.  This is the version that sells at Office Depot and other office supply stores for over $600.  Microsoft Office 2007 Ultimate includes:

• Access 2007
  • Accounting Express 2008
  • Excel 2007
  • Groove 2007
  • InfoPath 2007
  • OneNote 2007
  • Outlook 2007
  • PowerPoint 2007
  • Publisher 2007
  • Word 2007

image

I read some research last year that showed that the $60 was the price at which most college students would be willing to buy the software rather than pirate it, so while Microsoft probably doesn’t make much profit at this price, it does go a long way in preventing software piracy.  Check out The Ultimate Steal today and tell a friend.  This offer may not last forever.  Last year it ended in May (although I notice there isn’t an expiration date on this offer).  One note of warning:  The software sale and distribution is being handled by Digital River, not Microsoft.  So when the e-mail with the product key comes from Digital River, some people might accidentally delete the e-mail thinking it is SPAM or it may get automatically pushed to a SPAM filter.

1. Julia says:

The Ultimate Steal is really a great deal that students should take advantage of. I bought my  Office last year through this offer. The deal roughly lasts the entire school year – during winter break the deal is not valid so be sure to get your software soon.

2. HOOP says:

you  can  get  it  free  .  search  on google  for  MICROSOFT  OFFICE 2007 BLUE  EDITION . download BLUE  EDITION .

IT’S less than  600 mb in  size  and  it  works….surely….

3. randguth says:

Thanks for bring this up. Obviously this "blue" edition is illegal, which is the whole point of offering students a real-live legal version for $59.95.  The potential problems with any illegal copy of Microsoft software are:

1. Pirated software often contains malware such as Trojan Horse viruses designed to allow someone to remotely gain access to your computer. Remember, these are dishonest people you are dealing with.

2. The "Blue" edition may be a Beta version, which did not require a key but which can’t be updated now that the Beta program is over.

3. Office was released with Windows Genuine Advantage which requires activation with a real key.  Even if the key works upon installation, you may not be able to use the software for more than 30 days, or you may not be able to install any upgrades except for security patches.

The bottom line?  Download pirated software from a hacker site at your own risk.  From my perspective, $59.95 is a pretty good price for peace of mind and conscience.

– Randy

4. Spazztic says:

The Ultimate Steal is no longer available for Houston schools (College or University). I'm very, VERY disappointed in this!

5. Russell Palmer says:

I purchased this item when I was in Kaplan online in 2009.  I have had some problems with my Word, and my repair service tech deleted my 2010, which I had, and it messed up my 2007 for the image, and had to be resetup every time I opened it.

I have the two discs for it, but I can't find my Product Key.  Can it be re set by MS?

6. Russell Palmer says:

This is 2015.  Is the Ultimate Real Steal good today?  Or not?

7. randguth says:

There are currently two Microsoft Office offers of particular interest for students. The first is Office 365 home and student where you get Office for 5 computers and 5 mobile devices for $99/year.  Not a super bargain if you are buying it for yourself, but a great price if you split it between 5 people. the other offer is Office 365 – University where you get Office for two PCs/Macs for four years for $79 and that includes all updates and new versions, 1TB storage, Skype minutes, etc. http://www.microsoftstore.com/…/productID.275549300