The ULS logging is one of the most effective ways to find out what is going on “under the hood”. In certain cases the verbosity of the logging might need to be increased to get more useful and actionable information.
To change the verbosity of the logs, please follow these steps:
- Navigate to the Central Administration web page for the farm where you want to increase the verbosity.
- Click on the Operations tab.
- Under the “Logging and Reporting” section, click on “Diagnostic Logging”
- Under the “Event Throttling”, select the category that you were asked to increase.
- Make a note of the current settings, so they can be changed back after the issue has been resolved.
- Under “Least critical event to report to the trace log” dropdown box, choose “Verbose”
- Repeat these steps for every category that the Support Engineer requested.
While you are on this page, please make a note of the “Path” in the “Trace Log” section. This is where you will find the log files that should be compressed and uploaded to the Support Engineer at the time or times they requested.
Warning: Changing these settings will increase the amount of data that is being logged to the path listed above. Please make sure that you have plenty of free space. If there is not enough free space, please be diligent about either compressing the older logs or moving them to another volume with more space.
If you have any questions about these steps, please contact your Support Engineer.