Troubleshoot HTML/ASP.NET Spell Checker

If you don’t see HTML Spell Checker in Tools menu after the install, try the folllwing:

1. Make sure you are running RTM version of VS, not Release Candidate. Version should be 50727.42.

2. Open command line, go to Program Files\HTML Spell Checker Add-In and run

regsvr32 vsspellchecker.dll

Spell checker is 100% native C++, so it does not depend on the .NET Framework installed. It does depend on version of the ATL and C++ Runtime libraries installed. You may want to log on as Administrator before installing the component since COM registration requires modifying entries under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.

Gory details of the registration:

when component is registered, it should show up in the registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Visual Studio\8.0\Addins. There should be a few settings there and class name HTMLSpellChecker.Connect.1 which, it turn, should appear under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\HTMLSpellChecker.Connect.1 and HTMLSpellChecker.Connect. The latter contains a GUID that should be present under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID and contain reference to the component dll.

1. Christopher Lewis says:

regsvr32 vsspellcheckER.dll

2. Thanks. I fixed the post.

3. Chris Nahr says:

Thanks for a great tool! I needed the regsvr32 trick to get it to show up but now it works nicely.

One suggestion: would it be possible to enable spell-checking of XML files? I write my website files in XML format (passed through XSLT for HTML conversion) and the spell checker menu item doesn’t show up for XML files.

But it seems to me that spell-checking XML files is technically very similar to spell-checking HTML files, so maybe you could just enable the XML extension, too? Or perhaps make the enabled extensions configurable?

4. I finally finished writing HTML spell checker add-on to Visual Studio. Spell checker works in Source…

5. Sean says:

6. Waheed Ashraf says:

I can not register this dll and when i look under registery i dont see any addin folder in 8.0, although I have installed  RTM version of VS  50727.42

7. Dathan says:

Thanks for the great tool. I just downloaded it and the 2nd word I tried gave me glitches. Everything else is working fine. I don’t mean to nit-pick but when I try to correct the word "Office" it doesn’t work. It’ll correct "offise" but not "ofice" or "offic" Just FYI.

8. crpietschmann says:

When I installed it witht he "Everyone" option, it didn’t install correctly. I then reinstalled it with the "Just Me" option and it installed correctly. There may be a bug with this.

Another thing, When I click on the correct spelling in the dropdown list of choices it doesn’t change the word in my page. This only occurs with static text content of the page, when I do it with an attribute of an html or asp tag then it works correctly.

This is a pretty neat addin. Thanks!

9. I finally finished writing HTML spell checker add-on to Visual Studio. Spell checker works in Source

10. I finally got around to implementing support for multiple languages in my HTML / ASP.NET spell checker