I'd been holding off installing VS2008 SP1 Beta 1 as I was waiting for the Silverlight 2 support (and little things like holidays and the like also got in the way). Earlier this week I decided to bite the bullet and despite a few folks running into problems doing an in place upgrade to SP1 Beta 1, I opted to give it a whirl.
After carefully following the guidance on ScottGu's post and the webdevtools post (specific to VS2008 Tools for Silverlight 2 Beta 1) and waiting an eternity for my machine to shutdown after uninstalling a host of applications, SP1 Beta 1 seems to have installed without complaint. Well actually it did complain, and told me it was rolling back, so I rolled my eyes in turn and swore at it and it seemed to do the trick. Specifically, I went through and uninstalled:
- Silverlight 2 Beta 1 runtime
- Silverlight 2 Beta 1 SDK
- Visual Studio 2008 Tools for Silverlight 2 Beta 1
- Expression Blend
- Deep Zoom Composer
Then I installed:
- Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1 Beta 1
- Silverlight 2 Beta 2 runtime
- Silverlight Tools Beta 2 For Visual Studio 2008
- Install Expression Blend 2.5 June 2008 Preview
- Install Deep Zoom Composer
And all seems good in the world. Except.....
I forgot to uninstall:
- ASP.NET 3.5 Extensions Preview
- ASP.NET Dynamic Data
- ASP.NET MVC Preview 2
I think I might have got away with uninstalling them after the fact but if you're reading this it may serve as a useful reminder to check and double check before you do the uninstall. Measure once, cut twice and all that...