Steps needed to install Windows Embedded CE 6.0 from scratch.

Yesterday I paved my development PC (I was running a 32-bit beta of Windows 7) and moved to 64-bit Windows 7 Release Candidate. Paving the PC meant that I needed to re-install all of my favorite applications and tools.

Installing Windows Embedded CE 6.0 has a number of steps which are listed below (with appropriate links). Perhaps the list may be useful as a “check list” for installation if you are ever in the position of needing to install from ground up.

Installing Windows Embedded CE 6.0 – Steps:

– Mike

1. Olivier says:

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your post. You can add to your install list:

Install Windows Embedded CE 6.0 monthly update package (May 2009)

2. Erwin Zwart says:

To prevent RSI we’ve created a tool to automate the QFE monthly and yearly update package installation process.

You can download this from:

Hope this helps

Erwin Zwart

3. Tom says:

Mike – What your post reminds me is that Microsoft treats CE developers as second-class citizens.

1. Why no support for VS2008?  We had to install VS2005 + SP1 just for CE development.  That took the better part of a day just for that part alone.  We’ve started using VS2010, which means CE will soon be two releases behind.

2. Why not also release a single cumulative installer that performs a full, up-to-date install of CE?  The incremental releases are important for people who have installed previous versions, but for those who are doing new installs, locating, downloading, and installing all those installers is a pain.

From a customer perspective, I think that Microsoft could do a better job making CE a bit less inconvenient.

4. Tom says:

And to clarify my post above, it’s not like I’m saying that CE development is a bad or painful experience.  What I mean is that, relative to the development experience Microsoft makes available for desktop/server Windows, there’s quite a considerable gap.  I think the CE development tools should set the bar a bit higher.

5. cmarin says:

Also it will be fine to add:

ActiveSync 4.5 or better (needed to deploy applications).

NET CF 2.0 SP2

Best Regards.

6. Hi there!

I work for an ISV. I’m currently developing a C++ application for smart devices (it must support from Win CE to Win Mobile 6) -my app is not a driver-.

I’m thinking about testing tools for it.

I found two: TUX and TUX.Net (the managed version).

What do you recommed for me?

-Using TUX? (Does TUX work for non driver unmanaged applications?)

-Using TUX.Net? (Do I need to write managed wrappers?)

-How can I integrate any of the test harness (TUX or TUX.Net) with Team System? -Unit test & code coverage-

Thank u so much!

Javier Andrés Cáceres Alvis

Blog Personal:

Blog Intel:

7. mikehall says:

TUX is a native code test harness, writing TUX tests is fairly straight forward, a test is simply a DLL that’s hosted by the TUX infrastructure. Most of the existing CETK tests ship in source, these can be used as starting points for your tests.

– Mike

8. Dear friends,

I am going to cook windows CE 5.0 embedded for a GPS navigation device,

It has sirf III gps receiver and mp4 player + bluethooth, it’s original OS has been damaged accidentally and it dose not boot now, please help me for cooking new OS for this device,

manufacturer : Shenzhen Yameixun Technology Development Co., Ltd

Product Description

4.3" touch screen, Resolution of 480 x 272 pixels.

Super-bright, white backlist screen looks great in the car and is easily viewable in sunlight.

Product Feature

* Built-out earphone

* Support SD/MMC card

with the best regards

E. Mahmoodi

9. mikehall says:

E. Mahmoodi,

Without the original BSP (Board Support Package) for the device it would be hard to create a new operating system image that would boot, run, and expose all of the devices/drivers. It may be easier for you to contact the device manufacturer to determine whether the device could be reflashed.

– Mike

10. Mark says:

Hi Mike,

Thanks for these steps. It’s a cool checklist to not forget anything 🙂

I’m new to Windows development (more experienced on Linux environments) and I would like to support my own 3G USB module on this embedded system, modifying the RIL part.

Also, I would like to have the same support on Windows Mobile. My problem is that I do not fully understand the dependency between Windows CE and Windows Mobile, and also I haven’t found enough references to know if I would need to be Microsoft <something> partner to get access to more info or resources…

Could you put some light on these topics? Or some extensive references to read? 🙂

Thank you very very much!

11. Mark says:

Hi Mike,

D’oh! I have seen your post: "Windows Mobile and Windows Embedded CE – what’s the difference?" and now eveything is much clearer 🙂

All my theories have been confirmed, but then… how could I (or an OEM) add one driver to Windows Mobile?

Is it needed a kind of partnership to get access to the Windows Mobile customization?

Thanks again 🙂

12. mikehall says:

Yes, you would need to have an agreement with the Windows Mobile team. you might want to leave a comment with Loke Uei on the WM team (

– Mike