Windows CE 6.0: What "How To" articles would you like to see written?

Have you been developing BSPs, creating new operating system images, testing or debugging operating system images and wished there was an article that explained exactly “How To” do something?

The Windows Embedded Documentation team are looking for “How To” article suggestions.

If you have any article suggestions then please send them to medtcrec@microsoft.com.

– Mike

1. Palak Shah says:

hi,

I am Palak Shah, a student at Georgia Tech. Actually, we are working on a project for cell phone modem for windows CE using eBox. We tried using the code that you have posted on your website. We started a new win32 application and selected a hello world application and then pasted your code in it. Then, we added this as a subproject to our OS design. We also set the env var to IMGRAM128 = 1 and IMGENFORA =1. Also, added sms.lib in the link.

When we try compiling the application, it gives 7 linking errors

One of the errors looks like this :

Error 2 BUILD: [01:0000000050:ERRORE] sms.lib(main.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "bool __cdecl _tcsReadable(unsigned short const *)" (?_tcsReadable@@YA_NPBG@Z) referenced in function _SmsClearMessageNotification

Can you please throw some light on where we are going wrong?

P.S : I know that we are suppose to post here for "How to" article, but since I did not find any other place to reach you, I posted it here.

Hoping to here back from you.

Thanks,

Palak

2. Richard Jones says:

CEPC Network projector

3. mikehall says:

Palak,

Setting the environment variables isn’t enough – the Enfora RIL drivers only ship with the CEPC and Emulator BSPs, you will also need to copy the Enfora drivers from the CEPC BSP folder to the Enfora BSP folder – I have sample code and instructions (that I have running on the eBox) here – http://blogs.msdn.com/mikehall/archive/2007/04/08/ce-6-0-sending-an-sms-message.aspx

– Mike

4. Palak Shah says:

hi Mike,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Can you also guide us as to where in my BSP should I need to copy the driver files?

I tried putting it here :

C:WINCE600OSDesignsPRHPRHRelDirICOP_Vortex86_60B_x86_Release

Is this the right path? Because my errors still persist.

Hoping to hear back from you.

Thanks,

Palak

5. Palak Shah says:

hi Mike,

We got rid of the linking errors that I mentioned in the previous comment. And now we are able to deploy the application to the eBox. But, when we run the exe, it succeeds at the smsOpen function, but it returns an error when we try sending sms using smsSendMessage function. The return error is SMS_E_TOOMUCHDATA. So we tried sending only "Hi" as the message. But still it keeps giving the same error.

Can you please throw some light on why does the smsSendMessage fails?

Hoping to hear back from you.

Thanks,

Palak

6. mikehall says:

Hi,

You might want to check out the SMS sample I posted to my blog – http://blogs.msdn.com/mikehall/archive/2007/04/08/ce-6-0-sending-an-sms-message.aspx

– Mike

7. Palak Shah says:

hi,

I am already using the sample SMS code that you have posted on your blog. And the errors that I am getting are in the same code. smsSendMessage fails and returns the error code SMS_E_TOOMUCHDATA.

Any idea as to how to make the same code working on our machine?

Thanks,

Palak

8. j.spraul says:

I would like to see a HOWTO on determining the CPU usage for all running processes, like Task Manager does on the desktop.

9. anonymous says:

Hey I would like to know whether exFAT filesystem support/driver will be available in XPSP3 or for XPSP2 and why not if not?

10. Daniel says:

Hi,

This may be the wrong place to ask for this how-to but how about something about re-skinning the UI?

Can you direct me to a M to RTF?

11. yael says:

12. yael says:

i have tried to use the platform.reg like i have seen in msdn site to config it but it didnt took the configure ip…….

can you help me

13. mikehall says:

Yael,

once you build your operating system image, open the build release folder, and open Reginit.ini in notepad or similar editor – look for your registry keys, are they in the file?

– Mike

14. Mike Hall propose de faire des suggestions pour les sujet des tutoriaux Windows Embedded CE 6, alors

15. Neal Davis says:

Mike;

I guess this is not soley related to embedded CE 6.0 but somewhat: Could you or someone do an article on connecting CE 4.20, CE 5.0, and CE 6.0 to Windows Vista now that ActiveSync is no longer used on Vista. I have tried connecting our handheld device that runs embedded CE 4.20 and embedded CE 5.0 to the new Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 under Vista and have never been successful – all I really want to do is connect our handheld device using embedded CE 4.20 / CE 5.0 using USB and copy a file to it just as I could do with XP and ActiveSync by viewing the file system of our handheld device? How do you do this under Vista – please do a dedicated article to this topic?

16. Neal Davis says:

Mike;

17. Barry says:

I would like to see more articles related to writing device drivers supporting receiving/transmitting  data from multiple devices and including device drivers into catalog, usb  cameras in particular, BSP creation, etc.

18. Jadeja Dushyantsinh says:

Hi Mike,

I would like to see an article about how can one start building a *fresh* BSP for CE [from ground to up] I know it would take more than month or two to build an industry standard BSP but a tutorial on how to go about it would be really handy with insight on each of its sub components [Bootloader, Device Drivers etc.]

Regards,