.NET Compact Framework 2.0 SP1 for CE 4.2 and CE 5.0

There’s an update available that adds support for .NET Compact Framework 2.0 SP1 to Windows CE 4.2 and Windows CE 5.0 development tools – here’s a link to the download page.

From the download page here’s what’s added.

• Added support for WindowsCE 4.2 in both the CAB installation and a Platform Builder Update
  • Added the option to install the  global assembly cache to the storage card.
  • Allow DataGrid cell drawing to be overridden
  • Added support for headless Windows CE 5.0 devices by adding a Headless catalog item in Platform Builder.
  • Added System SR files to the Windows CE 5.0 Platform Builder catalog item.
  • Enabled device debugging using mdbg.
  • Included LogViewer tools to monitor network traffic.
  • Included the .NET Compact Framework Remote Performance Monitor. (For more information, see Steven Pratschner’s BLOG.)
  • Added the Serializable attribute.
  • – Mike

1. bob53050 says:

Are we supposed to first remove the cf2.0 before installing SP1? Currently it complains that a pre-existing version is loaded.

Thanks for your help 🙂

Bob Hanson

2. I can’t find the Platform Builder update for CE 5.0. All I find is the one for 4.2. Can you please provide an exact URL for the download of the PB5.0 patch for .NET 2.0 SP1?

3. Tony (tpitman@edgeproducts.com) says:

I am confused then. This installer looks like an end user installer that will update an individual device. I am an OEM. I need to update Platform Builder to create a new OS image for flashing onto our OEM device that we built.

The link you provided talks about using ActiveSync to update a device individually. I am creating an image in PB5.0 to flash onto the chips themselves.

Does that make sense? Is this download really what I want?

4. Tony (tpitman@edgeproducts.com) says:

Actually I just found what I was after. It looks like this update made it into the June QFE for Platform Builder. The link is here:

5. Tony (tpitman@edgeproducts.com) says:

For some reason, however, when I click on the link to download the actual update it says the page cannot be displayed. Any ideas as to why? I have downloaded from there before.

6. JAVIER says:

NO ME FUNCION AEN UNA ACER N35 CON WINDOWS MOBILE 2003 VER 4.20

7. JAVIER says:

NO ME FUNCIONA CON UNA ACER N35 CON WINDOWS MOBILE 2003 VER 4.20 DICE QUIE NO ES COMPATIBLE CON ESTE DISPOSITIVO

8. Pda User says:

Can’t install SP1 to CE 4.2, says not for the mobile machine.

Why?

Thanks.

9. Javi says:

I can’t install CF v2, with neither without SP1. I always get the same error message. Can’t install it through Deployment on Visual Studio, and also can’t install through ActiveSync. Windows CE 5.0

10. Avi Kcholi says:

Why is it that every time I make the fatal mistake of installing an update I regret it for days until I fix the bloody problem. I used the June update mainly for the .NET CF 2.0 SP1, and low and behold rebuilding an OS design that was perfectly OK before this failed with this new update. It will now probaly take me a day of hacking to fix the problem. I just wonder guys, do you check the QFEs? do you mind just packaging individual items and not an entire package? Guys it costs me money I can’t efford to hack and fix these problems.

11. w.h.w says:

I have installed the June/July/August monthly update for platform builder 4.2.

The NETCF2 is visible in the category and selectable, added successfully into my target OS design, but after a re-generate of headers, rebuild of the platform and a download of the OS image, no NETCF2 does exist in my target Windows CE 4.2.

Anything I should pay extra attention on? Thank you, Mike, 🙂

P.S., the netcf2 cab file from the installation works fine in my target OS(ARMV4I).