Microsoft MES has been selected as the official ECU supplier to the FIA Formula One World Championship in 2008, 2009 and 2010

This extract from – Bridgestone and Microsoft have been granted exclusive contracts to be the sole suppliers, of tires and ECUs respectively, of Formula 1 beginning in 2008.

The move to a single tire supplier and standardized ECUs (Electronic Control Units, responsible for a car’s engine management) is part of the FIA’s radical cost-saving package announced earlier this year for introduction in ’08. Both Bridgestone and Microsoft will supply F1 through 2010.

More information available on the Official FIA Press Release.

– Mike

1. Mike Dimmick says:

I really would have expected the ECU contract to go to Bosch or someone like that! Have Microsoft actually built an ECU before? I’m sure CE does provide a suitable environment for building a real-time device such as this, but I’m sure there’s a lot needed on top.

Of course the question is how much the teams will be allowed to alter the engine map and other controls. The technical regulations ( don’t really define this; they simply say that the ECU is to be ‘to a specification defined by the FIA.’

2. mikehall says:

After doing some digging it looks like McLaren Electronic Systems are building the ECU.

I’m digging to get some more information on this.

– Mike

3. Worried says:

Well, at least we will have more accidents and fun… I hope nobody dies.

4. mikehall says:

Worried – I don’t understand the comment.

Think about the number of shipping Windows CE devices that are running hard real-time systems including robots, industrial control systems and so on – these devices need to be extremely reliable and demand hard-real-time response from the operating system, take a look at some of the 3rd party validation of Windows CE real-time capabilities (for example the Dedicated Systems Report).

– Mike

5. Mike Dimmick says:

Mmm, McLaren Electronic Systems. I’m sure they’ll be unbiased.

Chinese wall, anyone? 😉

6. Mike Dimmick says:

Looking at their site it looks like all their current engine and chassis controllers use PowerPC processors, which haven’t been supported for Windows CE since CE 3.0. Looks like one of you will have to change!