MSDN Channel 9 reveals Project Origami

Details of Project Origami are starting to unfold… Want to know more about Project Origami ? – MSDN Channel 9 have an interview with the architect of the project – more information here

The units shown in the video are larger than a Pocket PC, and don’t have phone capability (so not Pocket sized, unless you have some very special trousers!) – I’m also curious about the battery life on these devices – I had an OQO for a while, even though this was a fun gadget the unit would get very hot on mains power and would last about 90 minutes or so on batteries.

Do you think this is an interesting form factor? – the fact that you have full Windows XP running on the device does mean that most desktop applications should run (I say most, because some applications *assume* a minimum of 800×600 screen resolution and therefore would have portions of the application off the screen).

Would you buy one, if so, what would you do with it ?

– Mike

1. drasfr says:

It would be tempting… They would have to solve the battery life issue. I would truly expect to have at least 4 to 6 hours… minimum…

But why don’t they build a ‘complete’ device. They should have GPS integrated in this and a phone. Does bluetooth support A2DP? Also, having a phone integrated in it would make it truly interesting. With the current size of phones I don’t see why they could not integrate a quad band GSM phone with support for at least edge or 3G protocols. On the go? Then I need to have internet access whereever I am, and eventually know where I am.

And if I could listen to music via Stereo Bluetooth headset, that would get interupted via a phone call it would be ideal.

2. does it have dvd player? what ports are available?

3. mikehall says:

the Channel 9 video has information about ports available – the unit shown in the video has bluetooth, USB, video, ethernet, CF. It’s mentioned that the ports available and supported hardware on the units is up to the OEM.

– Mike

4. Ciabo says:

Form factor = nothing exciting. Too big to be a  practical portable media player. ScreenSize/1ghz processor/2hr Battery Life isn’t enough for any real work. For the same money you could buy decent Laptop.

5. Fantastic says:

Hello mike. I want to run SQLCE 2.0 on my WinCE image as a DBMS. And I have find out SQLCe 2.0 in the PB catalog and added it into my image. But after I boot eBox, in WinCe ,I cannot find out the Application. My Question is, if SQLCE2.0 is only a component of included in WinCE or a self-existed Application? How can I install a SQLCe in my WinCE image.

Thank you!

6. Fantastic says:

Thank you!

7. mikehall says:

Hi,

Perhaps EDB will be sufficient for your project – EDB has replaced the previous database (CEDB) on Windows CE – more information can be found on MSDN here – http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wcedata5/html/wce50conEDBOverview.asp

– Mike

8. Fantastic says:

Hi,

I have read the document you offered. But the problem is that our application is developed on dotnet compact framework, that is to say, wo prefer C# and dotnet as the IDE. So EDB is not appropriate to our application.

I just want to know why you recommend EDB for us and if SQLCe is available.

Thanks a lot!

9. Fantastic says:

Hi,

I just want to know why you recommend EDB for us and if SQLCe is available.

Thanks a lot!

10. Fantastic says:

Hi,

I just want to know why you recommend EDB for us and if SQLCe is available.

Thanks a lot!

11. Fantastic says:

Hi mike, can you just tell me where I can get a SQL CE2.0 and how can I install it into WinCE image.

Thank you!

12. mikehall says:

SQL Mobile ‘bits’ can be deployed to a Windows CE device in one of two ways – the following Visual Studio 2005 web site lists the options for deploying from a managed project and for a native project.

– Mike

13. Fantastic says:

Hi mike, I want to add our own Class Library to .net 2005 in order to use the found class library for opengl es. But it always gives us a error response,saying that"A reference "XX" could not be added". Can you tell me what had happened? And what’s more, if there is some homologous class in dotnet compact framework itself?

14. mikehall says:

Fantastic – is the class library for OpenGL ES a managed library or a C++/Win32 library ? – if the later then you will probably need to wrap the OpenGL ES code into a DLL and then produce a managed wrapper for the DLL (calling from managed code into native code).

– Mike

15. Fantastic says:

Could you tell me where I can find a WinCE emulator in .net2005

16. Fantastic says:

Hi,mike. I have install SqL CE manully by copying the three files into Ebox. And I have add the CAB Installer into my CE_inmage. Then I double click the cab files to accomplish the SQLCE installing. But when I restart my Ebox again, I can not find SQL anywhere. So I want to add SQLCE into my inmage in PB and, since I do not know how to, I turn to you.

Thank you !

17. mikehall says:

yes, that is an issue, the problem is that the cab files are getting extracted into memory, not to persistent storage.

One option is to build the CAB files into your o/s image, and on first boot extract the cab files (some cell phones do this to install games and applications on first boot).

– Mike

18. mikehall says:

Fantastic, there’s the new ARM emulator for Visual Studio 2005 – http://blogs.msdn.com/mikehall/archive/2006/03/01/541634.aspx

– Mike