Embedding the Internet Explorer Control into an eMbedded Visual C++ application.

Nick was asking how to embedded the Internet Explorer ActiveX control into an eMbedded Visual C++ application, we wrote this up as a hands on lab for an Embedded Airlift back in 2001 – here’s a link to the Hands on Lab – Enjoy…

– Mike

1. Dan McCarty says:

This is perfect!!! I’m working on a project that’s way behind schedule and have been fretting about how we were going to implement on-line help. My idea was to use an embedded IE ActiveX control and convert a large portion of our existing manuals to HTML. This is _exactly_ what I was looking for. Thank you so much!

2. Mike says:

I’m glad this helped ! – thanks for the feedback, and good luck with the project !

– Mike

3. Dan McCarty says:

Reading over the "Licensing Model for Windows CE" document I noticed that none of the IE options are included in the core license. Even the help, since it’s HTML-based, requires a Pro license (how silly is that?!). Does adding IE as an ActiveX control make it available to use under the core license?

4. Mike says:

Hi Dan,

Good question, I will check with the licensing guys and get back to you.

– Mike

5. Dan McCarty says:

Thanks Mike, if you don’t want to post the information back here (the topic is raplidly scrolling off the page) you can also email it to me at danielm at whleary dot com.

6. Mike says:

So, the bad news is that Help uses the HTML ActiveX control, which is licensed under the Pro SKU of Windows CE.

I’ve suggested that this gets looked at to see whether including just help (without including IE) could be included in the Core SKU, I will let you know if anything changes.

– Mike