Windows Media Player 10 – now available…

Windows Media Player 10 is now available for download

Check out the list of devices Media Player 10 works with – here – bet you thought Windows Media player was just for your desktop PC, right

This release of Windows Media Player is designed to offer more music and more choices with support for over 70 different portable music players and a wide range of services via the new digital music mall.  Also new is more choice of formats with built-in, reference-quality MP3 ripping in addition to great fidelity and smaller file sizes offered by Windows Media Audio.

Tomorrow (Friday) I’m recording a video for Channel9 covering the Portable Media Center – should be interesting !

– Mike

1. SimonT says:

I user 2k3 server as a dev desktop, cant install the thing.

2. SimonT says:

I use 2k3 server as a dev desktop, cant install the thing.

3. SimonT says:

I use 2k3 server as a dev desktop, cant install the thing.

4. scott says:

Actually Mike, it DOESN’T work with my desktop system.

But that’s OK because it doesn’t know what system I’m running anyway.

5. Mike says:

How about using Virtual PC, installing Windows XP Pro, then installing Windows Media Player 10 ? :O)

– Mike

6. Scott says:

hmmmmmmmmm, that’s an idea. Damn, I hope the beta.radio.msn.com works with WMP 9, I’m in a room that radio waves apparently cannot penetrate here and I love the local radio options.

7. Stuart says:

This honestly isn’t intended as a troll.

Any plans on native Ogg Vorbis support (to the same level as MP3) in WMP?

If not, why not, and what would have to change for the answer to be yes?

8. Frans Bouma says:

Can someone please explain to me why WMP 10 eats 5-8% CPU time on an AMD XP 2600+ for playing an mp3 (no visualization at all) and winamp 0-1% ?

what’s 5-8% cpu time? well, not much, but it shouldn’t be that much. I just wonder why MS didn’t optimize the player lib to get more performace…

9. Mike says:

The questions about resource time and support for Windows Server 2003 should be posted to the Windows Media newsgroup – http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/community/newsgroups/WindowsMedia/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsmedia&lang=en&cr=US

I’m certainly interested in some of the embedded uses for Windows Media technologies – perhaps a home media server or similar…

– Mike

10. Mike says:

There’s quite a discussion going on about WMP10 not installing on W2K3 Server – check out the Windows Media newsgroup to get more information…

– Mike

11. Alem says:

doesnt work on 2003 server

12. Mike says:

this issue is being discussed at length in the Windows Media Newsgroup

– Mike

13. Mike says:

Couple of things…

1. If you have received or purchased a Portable Media Center then you will need Windows Media 10 to sync content to the device – I installed XP SP2 and Windows Media 10 to my Media Center PC last night, the install/upgrade was pretty painless.

2. If you **really** want to install Windows Media 10 on your Windows Server 2003 box then check out the following post http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=215572 – not everything works, but it’s closer than you have it right now :O)

– Mike

14. smr says:

Mike,

I recently got a new laptop, installed XP2 and WMP10. I’m noticing periodic CPU/disk hogging so have been watching Task Manager quite closely. wmplayer.exe uses 50%+ CPU every ten seconds, that’s with visualisations disabled, and with nothing playing — it’s sitting idle (paused on an MP3) but still eats CPU every 10 seconds. Any idea what is going on?

Regards,

Steven

15. smr says:

The behaviour is a little different to what I thought I first observed, and is kind of interesting. The CPU spikes are actually about 18 seconds apart, but there are sometimes gaps. An example of what I observe is 5 spikes 18 seconds apart of 50%+ CPU usage, followed by almost a minute of nothing, then 3 spikes each 18 seconds apart. Furthermore, these spikes only seem to occur when WMP10 is minimized to that Toolbar mode.

16. smr says:

Some more to report…

Another run, and the time between spikes is longer though still quite regular.

SysInternals’ ProcExp shows that >90% of the time spent in these spikes is kernel and it appears to be SHLWAPI.DLL!Ordinal505+0x2fa that is the culprit.