Will Windows SharePoint Services Work With SQL Server 2005?

The short answer:  Heck, yeah!

The long answer: For the love of God, don’t try it in production yet.  SQL Server 2005 hasn’t shipped.  But as we’ve been testing our beta code for WSS Service Pack 2, due out later this year, we’ve been testing it against SQL Server 2005 betas, and it appears to work just fine.  Our plan is to support SQL Server 2005 as a data store for the current shipping version of WSS if Service Pack 2 is applied.  Circumstances could force us to change those plans, but those are the plans.

I don’t yet know for certain if we’ll be able to say the same for Microsoft Office SharePoint Portal Server 2003.  I’ll tell you as soon as I get a ruling on it.

The next releases of SPS and WSS will both work with either SQL Server 2005 or SQL Server 2000.  We’re not going to make you upgrade everything in your server room.  That’d be mean.  We’re not mean.  Well, maybe a little:  there may be a few features in SPS, I believe, that will only activate if you have access to a copy of SQL Server 2005.  But that’d be about it.  SQL Server 2005 is great, and you should upgrade to it, but we won’t force you to do it against your will.

Heck, for that matter, if you haven’t heard it yet, the next version of Windows SharePoint Services will sitll run on Windows Server 2003.  Ditto SharePoint Portal Server.

1. Mike Fitz hat ein paar Infos zum Thema funktioniert WSS mit SQL Server 2005 zusammengestellt.

Generelle Aussage : JA

2. rick.guo says:

Hey there, I setup sql server 2005 somedays before I forgot what is the version and it asks for .net framework 2.0. From this point I guess currently 2005 cannot live with SPS because once I update to .net framework 2.0, the SPS dies coz 2.0 is not competible with 1.1. Because 2.0 is in beta so there is no compitiblility with 1.1, when it is release I think yes.

3. Bryan says:

Read Mike’s previous posting on .Net 2.0 and WSS. The short answer is that running 1.1 and 2.0 on the same machine and choosing 1.1 for WSS and 2.0 for SQL 2005 *should* work, but won’t be supported until SP2 either.

4. Bryan says:

5. Ira Fuchs says:

Hi Mike,

We have developed a prototype system for generating and managing derivatives instrument transactions(Credit Default Swaps, Interest Rate Swaps) in FpML (Financial Products Markup Language)using InfoPath and WSS. These transactions are unique,highly complex, and undergo ongoing lifecycle events (payments, amendments, assignments) over long periods of time. We love WSS for the form library functionality that allows us to maintain and manage the FpML instance documents in an accessible way and using InfoPath for its presentation. We will need to do queries on all the FpML instance document nodes (i.e. payments due on certain dates among all transactions)in the database to generate additional FpML transactions (payment reconciliations). It seems that we should use SQL 2005 for the database because it supports XML natively with schemas. The question is, does WSS store (or be configured to store)the XML documents natively in SQL 2005? Thanks, Ira Fuchs

6. As SQL Server 2005 launch approaches everybody starts asking how XX or YY product will integrate with…

7. Keith Farmer says:

Mini-rant:

You know, I *wanted* to use WSS for a personal website, but I discovered it was tremendously difficult to modify the layout, etc. Has that been cleaned up to not be such a bear to manage? I don’t want to have to use FrontPage, and I don’t want to have to wade through stuff that looks like UBB/Plone/line-noise. We have ASP.NET 2.0 now, and it’s better than this.

8. Ryan Lauchard says:

I have been monitoring this post for a week or so now. Do you have any update on whether SharePoint Portal Services will integrate well with SQL server 2005?

9. Hello, I’ve been working with SPS and WSS since 2004.

I dont know if you tryed allready to connect SQL Server 2000 with SP4 directly (not SP3), to SPS and WSS, I recently did that and does not work, I had to install SQL Server 2000 SP3 and after that SP4 and everything went ok.

Hope, SQL Server 2005 for test it…

Luis Du Solier G

10. Andrew Gray says:

I Just did the upgrade to SQL 2005 on an SBS 2003 Server. It took but I have found a couple issues with SharePoint now.

The first issue that I found was that when creating a list you can no longer reorder your default view. Also you can not change your title name, your first field is going to be called title no matter what you do.

The next thing that I found for newbies is the fact that you can no longer change your theme. So you are stuck with the basic theme.

If anyone else finds any issues please let me know.

Thanks

Andrew Gray

11. davthocur says:

We moved our sharepoint 2003 from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005 (Gold), and now the bacukp fails. It is now impossible to backup via the sharepoint tool. The site database cannot be backed up due to a problem with the index. We have a call into microsoft, until then we are doing SQL backups per MS. IF anyone sees this and knows a fix let me know!

12. DigitalScott says:

Looks like SP2 for SPS 2003 makes SPS 2003 compatible with SQL 2005, .NET Framework 2.0 and ASP .NET 2.0.

Has anyone done this combination yet?

13. bob c says:

To my knowlege, SPPS is not yet .NET 2.0 compatable.

WSS is.

14. bob c says:

Clarification:

WSS = Windows Sharepoint Services

SPPS = Sharepoit Portal Server

15. clint says:

I now have SQL 2k5 implemented with Sharepoint deployment and am not having any problems. Here is an excerpt from a blog I read some info on:

"Microsoft SQL Server 2005 includes features such as extended XML support and integrated CLR support. Windows SharePoint Services version 2.0 and SharePoint Portal Server 2003 do not take advantage of that new functionality; however, there are general benefits to upgrading to SQL Server 2005, such as better performance.

SharePoint Portal Server and Windows SharePoint Services work equally well with either SQL Server 2000 or SQL Server 2005. SQL Server 2005 does not enable any new SharePoint Products and Technologies development scenarios. However, SQL Server 2005 does provide an improvement in performance, and SP2 enables Windows SharePoint Services to run with SQL Server 2005. How much performance improvement you can expect depends on the usage patterns of your users."

16. Scott says:

Has anyone seen any published steps to move wss config and content dbs to a SQL 2005 server?  Or do we just copy them over and change them in the central admin…