Using Microsoft Azure for students

With our new free Azure offer, student developers can publish their own web apps to Azure and host them in the cloud, at no cost and with no credit card required. Students can take advantage of these great Azure services:

• Web Apps
  • MySQL DB
  • VSO
  • Application Insights

Please note that Visual Studio 2013 is not compatible with our Azure offer. You should upgrade to Visual Studio Community 2015, which is free for everyone! You will also need to install the Azure SDK 2.7 for .NET.

Visual Studio Online Continuous Integration is not currently compatible with our Azure offer. If you want to use CI with your web app, please see our blog post on Azure CI with GitHub.

Once you’re set up with Azure, check out our Imagine Cup Hello Cloud Challenge. Every month, one student using Azure will win $1,000! You’ll find all the details at the Imagine Cup site.

Finally, please note that some students who previously signed up for an Azure subscription, such as the Azure Free Trial, may have technical problems with activating this new Azure student offer. These students must contact Azure support to unblock their sign-up for the offer.

1. milhouse v houten says:

Impossible to get the offer if you are a Windows Phone developer. It asks you you remove you WP subscription (at least for now).

2. grldsndrs says:

Can anyone cover deploying a local Db database to an Azure SQL Database?

I am not sure if this is even possible under the Dream Spark subscription.  Although there is 1GB of storage for these accounts, I can not find any database settings to create a SQL Db.

Following the guide with a ASP.NET MVC web application with authentication will publish the site to the Azure host, but the Register(page) - and any page function to do with the database - yields the following error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current

web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

The stack trace is:

[Win32Exception (0x80004005): The system cannot find the file specified]

[SqlException (0x80131904): A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 52 - Unable to locate a Local Database Runtime installation. Verify that SQL Server Express is properly installed and that the Local Database Runtime feature is enabled.)]

System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningObject, UInt32 waitForMultipleObjectsTimeout, Boolean allowCreate, Boolean onlyOneCheckConnection, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal& connection) +414

System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningObject, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal& connection) +78

System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal oldConnection, DbConnectionInternal& connection) +196

System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionInternal.TryOpenConnectionInternal(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions) +146

System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.TryOpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions) +16

...

etc

3. Olelewe Chukwunyere says:

It seems this offer doesn't include Database. cannot option to create DB

4. That's correct, Olelewe, but it does now include MySQL which may be helpful for you.

5. grldsndrs says:

@grldsndrs

and for the benefit of others who may want to use the Azure Dream Spark subscription to host a website with a database.

MySQL is indeed the only available Db with a DS subscription.  You can find it by searching the Market Place.

I found several tutorials/examples of Websites using Asp.Net Identity with a MySQL Db.  I was able to piece together a solution using Asp.Net 4, MVC5 and EF6 with a Db hosted on Azure.  I found the following sites most helpful; even though they are somewhat outdated.

6. Amin says:

Please add SQL Server Localdb to Microsoft Azure for students.

It's really needed for learning producing web apps with MS SQL Server.

7. Ramesh suresh says:

Why would you be denied MSSQL DB creation or Local DB.

Microsoft allows MYSQL ,but not it's own????  O.o .... -.-  Thanks

Microsoft what a way to show students you truely care.

Give us hope ,but then you yank it away by limiting us tremendously.

Do fix this please.

8. James says:

What kind of service is available for students?  What's the max. compute option, RAM, storage?

It might be good for students to get started, but I wonder if it's not good enough for more advanced and ambitious students.

Can students point their own domain to a free DreamSpark Azure account?

Can students who have signed up with an Azure trial still take advantage of the free Dreamspark account when they are validated with a student email or some other method?

Thanks...  so far it looks good.  Azure is awesome, I'd like to use it all or most of the time for web apps.  Better than AWS and other offerings if you ask me, even though it's kind of complicated to setup and use sometimes.

9. Jason says:

Not sure what is going on. When I try to sign in to my Azure Account it takes me this page. Lame!

10. Surf4Fun says:

Hi everyone, I have a series of blogs that start at:

blogs.msdn.com/.../azure-using-c-to-connect-to-a-locally-hosted-mysql-database.aspx

These go through the process of building a MySQL and Web App.  You do get 1 gigabyte of storage on the Web App, and 0.02 Gigabytes for a MySQL database (that is 20 megabytes).

In a few days the series should be completed.

11. Abdullah says:

You guys haven't resolved this issue yet...still doesn't work with VS2015-RC

12. Max says:

Are you able to create azure mobile apps with dreamspark to support unity games?

13. jmc says:

This is too limited, how about throw in $40 monthly credit so it can be used on whatever else is needed.

14. Bruno Lemos says:

Visual Studio is not finding my Dreamspark subscription.

15. J says:

How about give me some credits just like BizSpark so I can use it everywhere.

16. Vaibhav Vadgama says:

What are the limitations of Azure for DreamSpark subscription?

- Time restriction? Upto what time can we use this service? Does it stop after 1, 2 or 3 years?

- Database? Can we buy more than 1 GB of database if we want?

- WebApp instance size? Can we use Small/Medium/Large instance size on compute engine?

- Storage? Do we get Azure Blob storage features? If yes, how much space is included in it?

17. BJ says:

why in the world did you not include a minimum SQL server?  This seems counter productive to future sales by Microsoft by teaching students MySQL!  Please include SQL.  I would like to use it in my class!

18. Illvminati says:

Same here - azure SQL is a key topic and building block.  Can an institutional-level azure subscription be created: something to match bizspark?

19. Estevao Santiago says:

Wow... you guys are at least able to register. I am logged on my DreamSpark and I am unable to do any of the above because Azure won't accept either my email registered for DreamSpark or to register for the free evaluation. Tried to obtain support but so far, no word. Let us wait and see 😉

20. markos says:

HOLA TOD@S!!! como puedo conseguir un correo de estudiante ... intente con mi correo hotmail pero no se acepta ... gracias

21. Mitesh Rampariya says:

I am getting following error while creating Microsoft Azure for Dreamspark account

Oops!

This account type does not allow creation of a DreamSpark offer. Please  contact support.

We could not find offer ‘ms-azr-0144P’.

WHAT CAN I DO?

Sign up for a different offer (Free Trial)

Please help me out

22. Lee Stott says:

Hi Mitesh

If your getting error 'MS-AZR-0144P' you need to do the following

If you get the following error when signing up for the Microsoft DreamSpark Azure Student offer http://www.dreamspark.com/.../Product.aspx we could not find offer ‘ms-azr-0144P’

azuresignuperror

The first question.. is did who have previously have an Azure subscription?

This includes the standard free trial, from more than nine months ago, this may be the problem.

If you do get this error message above you cannot activate the student offer so if you do get this error message the Azure Support can fix your account to enable you to activate DreamSpark Azure offer:

To open a support request

1. Go to azure.microsoft.com/.../options

2. Select “Having issues with sign in or signing up for an account?” option

3. For Problem Type, select “I cannot sign up for a new account” option

4. Click Start request button to provide further detail of your State your a DreamSpark user and they you tried to apply via http://www.dreamspark.com/.../Product.aspx

23. Felaray says:

I reallllly don't like MySQL, and we need MS-SQL for school work,please add MS-SQL to dreamspark!

24. dobravka says:

Yes, MSSQL please. And why giving MySQL in the first place?

25. daep911 says:

(question of: Vaibhav Vadgama)

What are the limitations of Azure for DreamSpark subscription?

- Database? It is limited to 1 GB of database?

Because I try a create a storare and Azure says that I should a update suscription.

26. Brett says:

I'll vote for a MSSQL DB access.

It makes it hard studying all the cutting edge stuff coming out of the MSDN blogs but only for the rich to pay for the services to put it into practice.

one down vote for you microsoft

1. Kevin Deamandel says:

It seems that MS SQL was now added to the Dreamspark pack 🙂

27. bowen says:

It says this offer is only for dreamspark members. What should I do?

28. Edmund says:

How long does the Microsoft Azure offer available for student?

29. Jason Crichton says:

Is there any likelihood of getting options that are useful to students in System Administration paths?  Tying an Azure Domain Controller to a lab Domain for example would be a fantastic opportunity to learn.  This offering is unfortunately quite useless for me.

30. Kornel says:

I'm really disapointed for lack of database support. I wanted to use Azure Clound for my student's project but now i have to look for other solutiuns.

31. Tran says:

Please add MS SQL Server support for this subscription. We are students, and we really need this to practice, please help us!!!

1. Kevin Deamandel says:

It seems that MS SQL was now added to the Dreamspark pack 🙂

32. Kurt Friedrich says:

Does anyone from Microsoft read these posts?  This question was last a LONG time ago!

Vaibhav Vadgama 18 Aug 2015 11:51 AM #

What are the limitations of Azure for DreamSpark subscription?

- Database? Can we buy more than 1 GB of database if we want?

1. @Tran SQL Server is supported. (at least now any way) You get 5 DTU's and 32MB. Appears that it isn't upgradable.

@Kurt Friedrich
      2- I don't know about other database types, but SQL Server starts at 32MB, and appears to be not be upgradable.
      4- If you mean this (https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/storage/), then it appears that the answer is yes. Don't know how much space is provided though.

33. Stefan says:

Always get an error when i try to connect my dreamspark account with my e-mail. i always get the error dreamspark not available.... so i can't use azure student with my account 🙁

interesting is the fact, that the verification of dreamspark works and afterwards it brings me the error

34. Stefan says:

this comment function seems to not work well, there should be a doublicate comment? It's the first time i write here ^^

35. Edmar Souza says:

No DreamSpark to Students from the Infrastructure Field? I would like to deploy Servers, OS's, Domains and so on, on the cloud : ( No Azure for us? No Dreams?

36. Jan Kulisek says:

I have a student edition DreamSpark account, but can't get Azure services to work. When in Microsoft Azure for DreamSpark page I see a brown button "Verfied Account" with a checkmark. Below it is a Register Now button. After I click it, I get "Sign up Microsoft Azure" page with "Oops! DREAMSPARK IS NOT AVAILABLE. This offer is only available to DreamSpark members" and below are sign up options that either cost money or a free trial option. Advice anyone? Thank you in advance!

37. sukrit gupta says:

Can this version be used for machine learning ?

38. Quisiera aprender microsoft azure

39. Joao Rodrigues says:

I'am student of the S2B and i need of the Azure/DreamSpark

40. Tina says:

How to get a free legal URL,for weChat

41. Flavio Prado says:

My account was validated as good to this offer, but when I try to subscribe, It says that the offer is only available for dreamspark members, and suggest that i use a free "degustation"... My account is a dreamspark premium... I downloaded several softwares, some of those i made last year... I wold like to try, but just cant sign on :s

42. James says:

feel good

43. Gustavo Berned says:

I am student on University Federal of Pampa, and i require acess to azure. Thanks.

44. venkatesh says:

I would like to explore azure.

45. 朱博炜 says:

Study

46. zhangdong says:

it's a good chance for me to use the azure

47. Wentao Yang says:

I need the Azure to complete my college's task.

48. 日天 says:

why i can not download it?

49. guangdongLiang says:

I think azure is a very good chance to improve my programing ability,I appreciate it much.thank microsoft。

50. DoonZhang says:

i used Azure Free Trial at post ,now i can't use Microsoft Azure for students,what should i do?

51. Li Guo says:

I am developing IoT app, so I want to use Azure IoT Hub.

52. Hainv says:

student

53. Ali Ajamli says:

I have a problem about "verify student status". I can"t verify my profil,and I am a student in Bursa,Turkey "Uludag Universıty". You want to help me? about this problem, I have an account DreamSpark but I can"t verify my account.waiting for your help! thanks!

54. 王子源 says:

I want to take part in the Imagine Cup

55. Haojun Xie says:

Is the azure for students only available in USA? I am an undergraduate in China, and it seems not available for me when I tried to activate it from Microsoft imagine.

56. 杨惜尧 says: