What's that? You didn't know you could write a web app for Microsoft Office 2013 or Office 365? That's right! Your web app can run right inside Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, or PowerPoint -- and the same app works in both the desktop software and the Office 365 cloud versions. Learn more about Apps for Office in this short video:
Our Apps for Office Challenge is underway and to get started, all you need to do is fill out this short proposal form describing the app you want to make! Submit that document to us by January 23rd and you'll be in the running. You can learn how to sign up and submit at our contest page.
From those proposals, the Microsoft Office team will pick the best ones and then work with you directly as you code your project. They'll give you feedback and support to ensure you can deliver something awesome.
Then the two top teams will be flown to Seattle in July, 2014, for the Imagine Cup World Finals. You'll present your finished Apps for Office and compete for first and second place prizes of $5,000 and $3,000.
But that's not all. You'll also be able to publish your App right into the Office Store for millions of users worldwide to buy!
How to Get Started
Ready to change your life? Ready to take a shot at teaming up with Microsoft Office to build amazing web apps? Then it's time to get started:
- Visit Microsoft DreamSpark to get Visual Studio Professional 2013 at no cost
- Browse the Apps for Office Store to see what other developers are already doing with the platform and look at some sample apps.
- Visit the Office Dev Center and learn the basics of how Apps for Office work.
- Check out the Apps for Office Overview to get up to speed fast.
- Dream up your idea for a great web app and use our Apps for Office Proposal Template to write up your concept.
How to Compete
- Write and submit your proposal document by January 23, 2014, 23:59 GMT. You don't have to start coding yet.
- By February 13, 2014, up to twenty semifinalist teams will advance to our second round where you'll develop your App for Office with consultations from the Microsoft Office team.
- Finish your App for Office and submit it by April 30, 2014, 23:59 GMT.
John Scott Tynes
Imagine Cup Competition Manager
Microsoft Student Developers